It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI busted tracking student, demands GPS spy gear return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

FBI busted tracking student, demands GPS spy gear return

www.msnbc.msn.com

Several days ago a 20-year-old student discovered a GPS tracking device hidden on his car. After his friend posted a picture of it online, speculating about its ties to a secret FBI investigation, the feds themselves came a-knockin', according to Wired.com. They wanted their toy back.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is unspeakably hillarious to me.
Not only did they get busted for doing it then are now demanding their toy back? Whoever believes the FBI to be some sort of boogieman needs to take stuff like this into account. Wonder what's next? CIA demanding the bullet back that killed Kennedy if they were ever outed? Those tracking devices must be expensive.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It's laughable but honestly I'm not shocked by this.

Another example of Governmental madness!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I wonder if this is his father.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

A former Egyptian cop who recently wrote a book on how to survive police abuse is on the lam himself. Omar Afifi fled to the U.S. after penning an insider's guide on how to avoid bumps, bruises and false allegations when encountering police in a country with a poor human-rights record.

“I heard from some former colleagues that a decision had already been taken by authorities to get rid of me and my book. They even advised me to leave the country," Afifi said in a phone interview from California, where he fled shortly after the release of his book.

Afifi said the warning was preceded by a ban of his book from all bookstores and newspaper stands. But before the ban, the book (whose title translates roughly to “So You Don’t Get Hit on the Back of Your Head”) had sold thousands of copies. The title resonates with many Egyptians, who believe that whoever sets foot in a police station gets smacked on the nape of the neck.

egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com...

Many of the things he has revealed and exposed we already knew but what is can new and shocking he claimed or revealed that most John Doe dead bodies found in the streets , dumpsters and pounds even the Nile and declared in our newspapers are originally people who were killed by torture in the police stations !!
This is a very dangerous accusation considering the facts that we find John Does across from time to time in Egypt and Omar Afifi was working in the force.
The former policeman whose book was banned in Egypt is insisting that 85% of Policemen reject all these practices but they have to shut up otherwise they will face penalties including being transferred to Upper Egypt.
I know that Afifi will be discredited because he fled to the States and he spoke at the infamous Al Hurra because he wants to be famous and rich..etc , well if he wanted to be famous and rich , he would choose the short way and became another regime's hypocrite police general not this hard way for God sake. Already if there was something wrong or black in the file of this man during his work in the MOI we would know about it as the ministry will not hesitate in defaming him.

So is this a father and son thing?

If this is his father he doesn't sound bad til you read things he wrote on his writers blog site.

translate.google.com... w_article.php%3Fmain_id%3D6277

www.ahl-alquran.com...

We caution against the Egyptian regime, the occurrence of any harm whatever prejudice ElBaradei and his safety and his life and we hold the Supreme President of the Egyptian police, Mr. Hosni Mubarak and his interior minister, and Mr. Gamal Mubarak, the full responsibility, and we warn all tempted to penetrate the sovereignty and national security of Egypt to commit any folly of this kind hired hands or party that the price will be high and will not go quietly, but will be the straw that will be divided Treaty of Peace and the Camp David, and fear the evil of the Egyptian people if anger.

كما ينبغي أن تعلم القوي العظمي وأقصد أمريكا تحديدا أن أي مكروه من هذا النوع سيقلب الموازين رأسا علي عقب ولن يمر بسلام مثلما مر تسميم عرفات ، أغتيال بنازير بوتو ، وتفجير الحريري ، و المبحوح مؤخراً في الامارات وغيرهم وغيرهم الكثيرون ، وعليها أن تنصح صديقها الحميم حستي مبارك وحليفتها إسرائيل أن ذلك خط أحمر لا ينبغي الاقتراب منه أو مجرد التفكير فيه لأن ذلك سيكون في غير صالح أمريكا ومصالحها. They should also learn the great powers, and I mean the United States specified that any harm of this kind will upset the balances upside down and will not pass peacefully, as over the poisoning of Arafat, the assassination of Benazir Bhutto and the bombing of Hariri, and hoarse recently in the United Arab Emirates and others, and others many, and she should advise her boyfriend Hste Mubarak and its ally Israel that this is a red line should not approach him or just thinking about it because that would be unfavorable to the United States and its interests.

وعلي أمريكا أن تعلم أنها تراهن علي الحصان الخسران والمريض والذي لن يستطيع أن يكمل في الحلبه أكثر من ذلك ولن يستطيع الاستمرار في حماية مصالحها فلن يستطيع أن يقضي علي حماس ولا حزب الله ولن يستطيع أن يواجه إيران لانه في الحقيقة غير قادر علي فعل شئ وأنظروا لموكبه كم هو خائف ومرعوب من شعبه ويختفي خلف مليون ونصف جندي أمن مركزي وألالاف المدرعات دفع الشعب الامريكي ثمنها من خلال المعونه المشئومه ، ولابد أن تقرأ الموقف قرأه صحيحه أن أرادت أن تحافظ علي مصالحها التي باتت علي المحك جراء سياساتها في المنطقة . The U.S. must know that it is betting on horse loss and the patient and which can not be completed in the ring more than that will not be able to continue to protect its interests will not be able to eliminate the Hamas nor Hezbollah will not be able to confront Iran because he in fact is unable to do anything and look to his motorcade How much is afraid and scared of people and disappears behind and a half million troops and thousands central security armor of the American people pay for it through the aid of ominous, and should be read in Saheeh read position that she wanted to preserve their interests, which is now at stake due to policies in the region.

His blog post are here.
www.ahl-alquran.com...
This guy talking about Hamas, Hezbollah and Israel. Who is this guy? Im glad the FBI is watching him.
edit on 9-10-2010 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The cost of the device is irrelevant.

They don't want people examining it...or selling it abroad..

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]

The cost of the device is irrelevant.

They don't want people examining it...or selling it abroad..

They said the device is out-of-date.

I guess it's just the fact they spied on this kid for 3 - 6 months and they don't want there to be evidence, as always, so they can cover up the issue and we'll eventually forget it happened.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

I would have my doubts about the FBI deploying out of date technology for domestic spying.

However, with that said....by who's standards is the tech outdated?

Just because it may not be the best available doen't mean it isn't still more advanced then most.
edit on 9-10-2010 by [davinci] because: form

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I wonder if this is his father.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

from the article:

Afifi's father, an Islamic-American activist, died a year ago in Egypt. It is not clear what the circumstances of his death were, or if this was the reason for the FBI's investigation of Afifi.

and from wired.com

Afifi’s father, Aladdin Afifi, was a U.S. citizen and former president of the Muslim Community Association here, before his family moved to Egypt in 2003. Yasir Afifi returned to the United States alone in 2008, while his father and brothers stayed in Egypt, to further his education he said. He knows he’s on a federal watchlist and is regularly taken aside at airports for secondary screening. Read More www.wired.com...

edit on 9-10-2010 by justadood because: add second quote/link

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Time to search me truck tomorrow.

But in all seriousness, perhapes the son should raise a stink about this. I'd start by demanding to see/hear the authority that was given to track him without a warrant. Or ask to see the warrant. Or sell the tracker to Russian mafia members for kicks.

Course, I think I read that he already returned it. Pity. And the only excuse forthcoming would probably be 'for your own protection' considering who his father is.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Vaykun because: Last minute addition

new topics

top topics

join