It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe that I am finally 'Waking Up'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

True,but I usually find myself feeling sorry for people who do not question those things that are put into their heads,never considering why people are selfish enough to teach them to act certain ways without ever considering they may not be entirely correct.

The Sins of the Fathers.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugfish
To move towards true freedom, I think, one has to "un-confirm" any authority and only act on ones own impression of reality. Surely other folks expressions of stuff gives important perspectives, but it is still only a recount of someone else´s impression of things. Regarded as the latter, sure, fine, but taken as something you build your view upon you have an authority - of sorts.

What this guy said.

I'd like to add to this post, and to this thread, that it's a constant effort. When I first realized that my own immediate impression of reality was the one I needed to give "first hearing" to, I had a good few months of feelings of liberated elation. Somewhat paradoxically (but not really) I started to see what other people said from their own perspectives, but was always careful to contrast it with mine and attempt to determine why we differ (a famous psychologist once put it as admitting "the relative validity of all human opinion" [emphasis his]). I put some real effort into this for a while, and probably learned more than I've ever learned in any other equally-timed period in my life.

I'm sorry to say I haven't been doing that lately. It takes a constantly "on" mind, and for the past few months I've been getting lazy, reading stuff without really studying it, making off-the-cuff rather than thought-out comments on message boards like this, etc.

So I guess you (the OP) could take this as a sort of "warning". The enlightenment ends when you stop actively behaving like an enlightened person. I tell myself I'm just taking a break. But it's hard work. If you aren't "on", taking pains to be both open-minded and critical, you aren't doing it right.

edit on 12-10-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I quit watching the talking heads years ago. Now I just listen to Beck, Rush, Sean, Savage and a few others.

Their hate, arrogance and lies forces me further to the left the more I listen to them.

It's not hard to tell that they are in the pocket of the neocon corporate fascists and only adopt the Right wing slant because of marketing to a targeted demographic.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
So did is this what you meant ATS by leaving the herd or waking up?

I actually pretty much hate it when people tell others to "wake up" or write threads about how awake they are. Fact is, we're ALL ensconced in society to some extent and most of us on ATS are at some level of "wakefulness". There is no point at which everyone "wakes up". There is no point beyond which one can be considered "awake". We're just all on our journeys, learning what we can.

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
At the same time, there are some truly brilliant people out there, and at times, there is much to learn and consider from their opinions.

I totally agree. I used to enjoy MSNBC, too, but the truth is that they're just feeding the division among people - and from the OP, it sounds like you realized that. That's good. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to learn from watching them. Before we got rid of our TV service, I would watch them from the perspective of knowing that they were feeding the divide and I was able to see very clearly how they 'encouraged' the watcher to continue to lean left politically and dislike and distrust the right. I think that's probably what you experienced.

Originally posted by unityemissions
I think you're just starting to be more independently minded, and truly think for yourself.

Yes, exactly. And that's what I think is needed in this country right now. We are being inundated with information trying to tell us HOW and WHAT to think. So, the more we think for ourselves, the better. And the truth is, when we all are thinking for ourselves, we find out that we have a lot more in common with each other than we thought. I can always tell someone who watches the 'news' that supports and defines their political positions because they repeat the talking points and take every opportunity to 'jab' the other side, just like the pundits and commentators do.

I absolutely LOVED your post, unityemissions. Very insightful and well-said!

I appreciate the responses in this thread, but I think it's just everyone stating where they are in their journey. There is no point of 'waking up', IMO. There is the constant process of learning through critical examination and thought, opening one's mind, thinking independently and literally 'finding yourself'. One of the most valuable advantages of being on ATS is that it aids in that process.

And of course, that's just my perspective and opinion.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You've only just begun.

Wait til you start seeing right thru the propaganda that runs thru popular T.V. shows like family guy.
Look at the way the American male is portrayed. I think Family guy is one of the most hateful things I've ever watched.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join