It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is easiest to believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
1) That human civilization spawned randomly from bacteria over billions of years
2) That the creator of the whole Universe intervened and made a dude and a wife for him out of his rib
3) That humans were created by an intelligent space-faring civilization from another star system, and apes were used as the base

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 19872012

2 and 3 are very alike, nr 1 seems as plausible as finding a beautiful castle in the middle of the desert when there is nobody around capable of building castle's. Come on, how likely is it that we are randomly build by means of natural selection? Any and ALL mutations (read: evolutionary leaps) we find today kills the carrier faster rather then he/she is improving...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

REALITY

considering the three choices you gave are not absolute (bit like the world is flat)

I feel 'realism' is the way to go.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Number one is more believable. You should explain your questions better though. The reason why I believe in number one is that there is a lot of evidence to support what I believe. There are similar stories in Creationism and the God you're trying to explain did not help the people build civilization. God flooded the people without them knowing a God was there. The same with Abraham and so on.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
4) none of us know. We don't actually know what happened, but we do know there have been many of fights over "the truth" Humanity should collectively consider where we're going, which we can control, not where we've come from, which we can't control, and don't really know.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

1) That human civilization spawned randomly from bacteria over billions of years

That human civilization spawned from bacteria over billions of years by process of evolution, which is NOT random. Only mutations are random, and mutations are only one ingredient in it. And even mutations follow laws of probability.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I'll take option 1 please, evolution explains us just fine.

Number 2 is too preposterous for words.

Number 3 is highly unlikely and not needed (see evolution).

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
After watching science documentaries even though we don't fully understand and know exactly how a planet is formed...

My opinion is:

A planet is formed as part of a reaction between gas clouds and dust colliding. As matter in the cloud falls towards the centre it begins to spin. The basic laws of motion cause this spinning. Objects in space do not speed up, or slow down unless their speed is changed by something else.

After the planet is formed and due to all the colliding and what have you a chemical reaction from the gas and other various particles create a freak occurrence creating life in the form of bacteria and single cell organisms and over time these cells mutate because of the atmosphere, sun etc...

The fact that a "Man" created a single cell organism should sway any religious and creationism topic!

Artificial Life

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
no nobody could ever tell whats the real thing

but I'll go for A
its more believable than the other choices

i guess every living thing undergoes mutation
and can turn to a more complex organism...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I tend to lean towards a combination of 1 and 3. Truely noone really knows the truth and will never know the truth, since history is fluid. Any civilization, sufficiently advanced, will vanish off the "fossil record".

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I tend to lean towards a combination of 1 and 3. Truely noone really knows the truth and will never know the truth, since history is fluid. Any civilization, sufficiently advanced, will vanish off the "fossil record".

yess

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 11-10-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85

Any and ALL mutations (read: evolutionary leaps) we find today kills the carrier faster rather then he/she is improving...

Really? I thought that humans and most other species alive were doing just fine. Oh, how ignorant I must be.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
For everyone that believes in the ancient astronaut theory, I have one question. How did the aliens become so advanced? If it was impossible for us to evolve, then surely it must be even more impossible for a more advanced alien civilization to evolve.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
For everyone that believes in the ancient astronaut theory, I have one question. How did the aliens become so advanced? If it was impossible for us to evolve, then surely it must be even more impossible for a more advanced alien civilization to evolve.

Well, obviously there would have to be one or more "first ones" that evolved slowly. That does not preclude the *possibility* that we humans got an upgrade.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19872012

The scientific consensus is that we are a product of evolution and that's good enough for me. However, the above sentence is poorly worded, since it was not human civilization (which is ca. 10.000 years old) nor humankind but life itself that spawned and evolved to finally produce humankind after almost 4 billion years.

2) That the creator of the whole Universe intervened and made a dude and a wife for him out of his rib

This presupposes that such a creator exists and as Stephen Hawkings recently said, the universe does not need a creator to explain it's existence.

3) That humans were created by an intelligent space-faring civilization from another star system, and apes were used as the base

I find this interesting as a thought experiment, but as others have already said, it is - as in option 2. - an unnecessary introduction of a creator where none is needed.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think option 2 is easiest to believe. It does not really require you to ask further questions, and you can switch of any form of critical thinking. Another point to support this is that it is probably the widest supported believe of the three. I am not sure if there is even one person that believes option 1, as it doesn't really make sense.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The obvious answer and most simplest out of the three would be number one, evolution.

If life can't arise naturally on our planet, then where and how is life forming somewhere else for an alien species to create us. If life is simply too complex to arise naturally at all, period, then how does an even more complex entity capable of creating an entire universe filled with life arise? If such a complex entity has always existed, then why can not a simpler universe that contains a set of physics conductive to naturally developing life exist?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

YES. The basic design was an adaptation of our environment IMO

We are just seeing how God/Nature did it. How God/Nature did it is obviously shown in the geological record.

The Earth is several Billion years old, mankind has been around what? At the most 200.000 years. I'd say that leaves a lot of time to play around with.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

None of them are "easy" to believe.

You either believe that you are ultimately accountable to higher power for your life and all the ramifications that go with that, or that you are not in control of your life and at the mercy of others, or that your life is ultimately meaningless and the result of random coincidence and when you are gone---nothing.

You have to determine what is truth. If people were to be truly honest with themselves you would probably find that most athiests are so because they don't want to answer to anyone...a selfish motivation. You would probably find that Agnostics just don't want to take responsibility for what may be the ultimate decision in their life and that believers in all their many forms just want the security of knowing that there is some sort of safety net of meaning after they kick the bucket, once more all very selfish needs.

You have to thoroughly examine all that there is for information, listen to your heart, listen to your mind then live at peace with your choices and try to be the best version of you that you can be and whatever source(s) you draw on to accomplish that, so be it.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There are many many books on this subject. Giant wordy long books. So many books I have fashioned them into the chair on which I sit to write this post on a laptop that rests on a table manufactured from the journal articles which are references in those books.

Three loaded questions do not do these questions justice, but carry on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join