It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 Commonwealth Games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Are any ATS members following the Commonwealth Games ?
I am only really watching the Netball . Otherwise the event has been wholly uninspiring . The lack of crowd support is embarrassing but lets face it if the local showed up grandstands would fall in on a heap on them . Someone who was dominate in a particular event like Grant Hackett or Ian Thorpe were to Swimming added interest to the games and that particular event . In a time when members of the media are questioning the relevancy of the games and the cost of hosting the event the Delhi games are hardly helping things . Christchurch was able to host the 1974 games and the facilities known as QE2 later became one of the city council leisure centers. Now aside from NZ current infrastructure not being able to cope with current demands the increased number of sports at the games means more facilitates are required . That means a higher cost for staging the event and a lot of costly stadiums that only see one time use .

South Africa , Britain and Australia have been mentioned as countries that can afford to host the games what about Canada ?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The striking thing about these games for me are these two things.

1.) The Australian goverment has been saying that there is an 80% chance of a terrorist attack but no one in the media (MS) has questioned why, that being the case, are the athleats are still going? Why does our goverment not stop them from going it would be asy to do in the name of athete safety?? Seems to me the goverment and the media wants them to go no matter what the risk

Compare this with all the invasive searching that goes on at airports where the chances of a terrorist attack are far less??

2.) what commonwealth games? where are they?

cheers

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
To be honest I myself expected that some terrorist organisation would at least have a token crack at the games due to it being to a tempting a target . What I misjudged was how few overseas visitors would show up at the games .
Another thing being why would the terrorists when the stadiums are build so poorly ?
Heck only today or yesterday the scoreboard at the Rugby 7s venue fell down . Fortunately no spectators were around as the event hasn't started yet . The next games are going to have to be a ripper to make for the current debacle . India wanted to put on a show for the world , to put a gloss on there status has an emerging power and having spend two billion dollars they have failed .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

They didn't do so bad after all now did they?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

IMO many media outlets ended up talking up the games because of the investments they had made in TV rights . Right at the end the games produced the outstanding speculate in the Netball Gold Medal Match . A Hollywood script writer could not have dreamed up such a game ! Otherwise the games were still a fiasco for the reasons I have already mentioned .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Super sucess after all..

top topics

join