It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspartame can cause mass weight gain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
No, this isnt an advertisement

Hi there, i thought id make this to help people, i hope its in the right forum.

As we know obseity is a major problem in the world today, for many people it simply isnt their fault.. they eat healthy, try exercise but nothing pays off.

Take me for instance, after being the usual podgy baby, i was a normal weight my childhood years give or take a pound or too, in fact during my teens i was rather slim.. the last four years ive piled on the pounds and in the last 2 years especially i feel uncomfortably bloated and overweight all the time.. of course i get friends give the usual comforting `your not fat`.. but i am stones more than i used to be!

The strange thing is i am eating less junk food than i used to, a few years ago, but stil puting on weight.
I have tried everything from diet pills to minerals herbs detoxifiers green tea metabolism pills kelp seafood all that, nothing helped.

Then it dawned on me.. i have five empty cans of diet coke in front of me from today alone,plus a couple half drunk that i may have started last night.. and i know four empty cans are in the bin from yesturday... which means in a 24 hour period i drunk around 10 cans of diet coke! ( i very often go through a six pack a day or more).

I looked up aspartame, which i admit i did heard about a few years ago not being that great for your health, but i discovered another article of suewidemark.com... as one of many by doctors, saying that aspartame makes you fat!

And suddenly i said eureka! now i know the cause of the bloating and major decrease in my metabolism rate, and whats making me store fat rather than lose it!

It all makes sense now..

by the way if i can just quote this from the page, it will really intreage you...
----------------

After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily.

Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.
------------------------

wow, just wow!
so yes, anyone having problems with bloating and weight gain DROP THE ASPARTEME, (its a sweet replacement diet sugar substance or whatever you call it) and can be found it all diet sodas!
ive a half drunk can of diet pepsi in front of me, and im going to have great pleasure pouring it down the sink in a minute. i cant guarantee this is the `ultimate weight loss solution, but i am pretty sure im going to have some good results saying no! to aspartame

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse
why cant i flag my own thread

Priceless line. I'll give you a flag just for that alone

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's really some nasty, nasty stuff.

Used to work @ a startup that was so busy and we'd all drink the diet mt dew one after another - no one got any sleep, lol, and the owners just kept us stocked in the fridge rather than hiring more help. It was brutal. I never did get skinny either. lol

Anyway, I went to go on Atkins diet and had to stop the caffeine. By then I was working for the govt again and the pace was a lot more laid back, so I decided to decaffeinate myself first, before the diet.

Anyway, the caffeine withdrawal was nothing compared to the aspertame withdrawal. I was SO sick. I felt like I had the flu for a month. I knew what it was though, because after about 4 days, I just started shaking - I used to work psych and I've SEEN DTs, and that's the kind of shakes I had. I pretty much ran to the soda machine and downed one and got to feeling better, and I knew something was crazy up. That's when I started researching aspartame.I knew the caffeine stuff was over, and since there was no calories or sugar in it, that couldn't have been a blood sugar thing. (Not that I have trouble with that.) It HAD to be the aspartame. I was sick as a DOG, and I had HORRIBLE RLS too. Like...torturous RLS. My skin would just crawl. Lasted a month.
edit on 8-10-2010 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
It's really some nasty, nasty stuff.

Used to work @ a startup that was so busy and we'd all drink the diet mt dew one after another - no one got any sleep, lol, and the owners just kept us stocked in the fridge rather than hiring more help. It was brutal. I never did get skinny either. lol

Anyway, I went to go on Atkins diet and had to stop the caffeine. By then I was working for the govt again and the pace was a lot more laid back, so I decided to decaffeinate myself first, before the diet.

Anyway, the caffeine withdrawal was nothing compared to the aspertame withdrawal. I was SO sick. I felt like I had the flu for a month. I knew what it was though, because after about 4 days, I just started shaking - I used to work psych and I've SEEN DTs, and that's the kind of shakes I had. I pretty much ran to the soda machine and downed one and got to feeling better, and I knew something was crazy up. That's when I started researching aspartame.I knew the caffeine stuff was over, and since there was no calories or sugar in it, that couldn't have been a blood sugar thing. (Not that I have trouble with that.) It HAD to be the aspartame. I was sick as a DOG, and I had HORRIBLE RLS too. Like...torturous RLS. My skin would just crawl. Lasted a month.
edit on 8-10-2010 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

hi, whats rls?
other symptons of aspartame im reading say fatigue, depression, gum disease, sleep loss, hair loss etc wow.. it sounds like a posion!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daluniverse

Unfortunately that junk is in everything.

A person does not even know what it is in because they hide it in the ingredients.

STOP drinking sodas and all carbonated drinks.

Just drink water.

Here is a web site to check out.

Aspartame Sweet poison

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
In 1985 I started drinking diet coke (instead of tea) because of a job.
I gained weight like crazy.
By the Summer of 1986 (roughly 6-9 months of Diet Coke), I was in a different situation and switched from Diet Coke to Regular Coke. I lost 17 pounds in about a week's time!

I'm not sure if they used aspartame in the mid 80's in their Diet Coke. All I know is Diet Coke makes people gain weight.

I quit all sodas several years ago because - tooth enamel! It eats up tooth enamel.
edit on 9/10/2010 by Trexter Ziam because: typo

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
In 1985 I started drinking diet coke (instead of tea) because of a job.
I gained weight like crazy.
By the Summer of 1986 (roughly 6-9 months of Diet Coke), I was in a different situation and switched from Diet Coke to Regular Coke. I lost 17 pounds in about a week's time!

I'm not sure if they used aspartame in the mid 80's in their Diet Coke. All I know is Diet Coke makes people gain weight.

I quit all sodas several years ago because - tooth enamel! It eats up tooth enamel.
edit on 9/10/2010 by Trexter Ziam because: typo

17 pounds you do realise thats about a stone and a half
you serious|?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I used to drink carbonated sodas and energy drinks all the time and quit for a long time. Recently I started occassionally drinking enrgy drinks and can tell that after getting into a rythm of drinking them again I literally feel like #. I going to stop again because I had forgot what it did to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm happy to hear you're discovering that diet soda contains poison, and I hope you stop using it.
It's hard for me to understand why anyone in the developed world would habitually drink that crap in the first place.
The fact that you're drinking multiple sodas a day should be a huge red flag, you're consuming large quantities of an artificially made non-food, it's great that you've identified that as a problem, take that same approach with everything you consume, scrutinize it, and eliminate anything that's not a whole food, natural food, something you prepare yourself.
It may be difficult at first, especially if you find that your diet consists of prepared foods, but do it for your health.
As an example;
Do not eat fast food. ...AT ALL, NONE. No burgers, no fries, no pizza, no soda, no burritos, nothing that comes from a chain "restaurant". Read Fast Food Nation if you need a little help understanding why...

Do not eat prepared foods most of them are full of garbage, and even the "good ones' are LOADED with sodium. This includes frozen foods, freeze dried foods, canned foods, any packaged ready-to-eat food.
(I will make exceptions of it's a question of starvation or survival)

Do not drink canned or bottled drinks Obviously soda, but also "juice" drinks which are typically loaded with High Fructose Corn Sugar, coffee drinks, energy drinks, most flavored waters, tea drinks, look at the ingredients, if it's more than a couple of items long, it's probably crap.

I could go on, but if you embrace scrutiny, you'll come to your own equilibrium.

Of course there are exceptions, but I've taken this approach to my consumption and my health has improved markedly. I'm preaching what I practice only because it works.

Do not buy soda! ...for the sake of your own health.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I am a Diet Coke-aholic myself and you have convinced me to give the stuff up for a month and see what happens...
It's definitely addictive so we'll see... wish me luck.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

I am a Diet Coke-aholic myself and you have convinced me to give the stuff up for a month and see what happens...
It's definitely addictive so we'll see... wish me luck.

yeh i do admit to having a couple of regular NON DIET fantas today, still not the healthiest stuff but at least its a big step away from asparteme, tomorrow im going shopping and im getting myself lots of non fizzy and non sugary non aspartame drinks
edit on 9-10-2010 by daluniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Stones, rocks, whatever ... yes, for sure it was 17 pounds.

And by the way, I looked it up and they DID have aspertame in Diet Coke back then. It's also listed as in regular Coke. You know when the "world is getting fat" news started? All that SAME time! And seems Monsanto owns them ... figures.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Any update on this?

Did you kick the habit and lose the weight???

top topics

join