It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Sweden's far-right, anti-immigrant party made powerful gains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Throughout much of Europe, the far right is on the rise, gaining support with a message against the political establishment, multiculturalism, and immigration that appears to be resonating with many disillusioned Europeans.

In liberal Sweden, the far-right Sweden Democrats, a party with a neo-Nazi history, won 20 seats in the Sept. 19 parliamentary vote, enough support to leave the leading center-right coalition without a governing majority. While the SD, which campaigned that it would cut immigration rates by 90 percent, is widely castigated as “racist” and “Islamaphobic,” it nonetheless struck a deep chord among some in this country known for its political correctness.

Facts

Sweden Democrats Wikipedia
Sweden Democrats Official Webste

Swedish General Election 2010

RESULTS:

Sweden Democrats

0 >>>>>>> Last Election
20 >>>>>> Seats Won
+20 >>>>> Seat Change
339,610 >> Popular Vote
5.70% >>> Percentage

Reinfeldt ruled out forming a government in cooperation with the Sweden Democrats. Both parliamentary blocs pledged not to seek support from the SD saying the party represents "xenophobic views that run counter to Sweden's tradition of tolerance."

The Sweden Democrats (SD) have said they want to cut asylum and immigration by relatives of those already living in Sweden by 90 percent. It also describes Muslim immigration as the "biggest foreign threat to Sweden since Second World War."

www.thelocal.se...

An Islamic revolution akin to the one that swept through Iran in 1979 could easily take place in Sweden, claims the second highest ranking member of the far-right Sweden Democrats.

“It can happen really fast,” said Sweden Democrat party secretary Björn Söder to the TT news agency.

Opinion

After reviewing all of the information I just provided I have came to the conclusion that the Sweden Democrats are a Far-right and very Anti-Immigrant and highly Islamophobic political party within Sweden. Using globalization, neoliberalism and immigration as their challenge to the political establishment. They abandoned their Nazi uniforms so as to not look so extreme to Swedish voters and it appears it worked.

Do we have any Swedish members on here who would like to leave an informative reply?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Do we have any Swedish members on here who would like to leave an informative reply?

My Grandfather was Norwegian -

I just wanted to say the fact that these NAZI'S are Democrats proves that Hitler was a Liberal - discussion OVER!

Anyways, I think it makes sense, tradition is a large part of basic conservatism and I can understand why people want to defend their national and ethnic identity, even if I do not feel threatened personally
edit on 8-10-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I too understand the sentiment of immigration concerns and globalization but we must be tolerant about it all. Reform the current system, demand your parties obey you, demand your government obey you. I believe the votes for the Swedish Democrats were rather a protest vote of sorts, double checking to see if any other party could do what they believe was needed and when the results turned out no others would, they held their breath and cast their vote for the SD.

Reactionary feelings usually occur in societies where the population is forced into a swift and dramatic cultural change, where they can clearly remember the 'Old Sweden' and begging for it to return.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
BUMP

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

The Swedish Democrats are indeed racists, or were, at its core.

Nowadays it's a modernised movement though, I would say that the vast majority of the voter base are basing their opinions on rational reasons or plain common sense. The current policies are simply economically unsustainable.

It's the only party taking the question serious, so you'll get the good with the bad. You'll get the bigots, the nazis and the prejudiced. But you'll also get the patriotic few, people worried about their culture, their country, the welfare of their country economically, the creation of ghettos etc.
So I believe as the party grows(and it will according to projections) the member base will start to reflect mostly non-racist attitudes.

Well, that's my view at least. If you have any questions be sure to ask.

new topics

top topics

join