It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if life on Earth started from basic organisms being carried via asteroids and crashing on earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
news.sky.com... 15471284?lpos=Technology_Article_Related_Content_Region_6&lid=ARTICLE_15471284_Life_On_Mars_Proof_A_Step_Closer%3A_Nasa_Researchers_Find_New_Evidence_ From_Crashed_Meteorite

The above link is to an old article I found talking about the meteor that hit Antartica 13,000 years ago having "magnetic bacteria" on it. The brief article discusses a theory that the meteor hit Mars first and then landed in Antartica. Would it be possible for a living organism to survive entry into our atmosphere and the impact? If so this is an interesting topic on evolution. Did our beginnings come from some where else? I realize there is no way to validate the thought. The second question is... if we have "magnetic bacteria" coming to earth on meteors, could this bacteria be harvested by scientist. I've got this horrible thought of foreign bacteria mutating with ours.

Interested in hearing your thoughts...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Your idea seems like a good start to a debate on the beginning of life on earth.

I would also like to inform you that you've posted this in the wrong forum, this has nothing to do with 9/11 at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

The theory is called Panspermia

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Indeed.. a common idea and becoming more plausible all the time. Water Discovered on Second Asteroid, May Be Even More Common

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePacifist

thankyou...I din't realize the forum error... don't know how to change it.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Thanks for that link... never heard of it before...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

Not a problem. To tell you the truth ... I first learned of the panspermia theory here on ATS about ... um... a few years ago I think.

It is an interesting theory, and from somethings I've learned since, there have been bacterial and micro-organisms experiments in space with certain lifeforms. A kind of extremophile that can live in a kind of stasis/hybernation or suspended animation for thousands of years and when re-introduced to water and the right temperature come back to life, but I cannot remember the name of those things off hand.

Hope this helps,
ET

new topics

top topics

join