It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My personal take on Freemasonry, why i didn't join.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

The Lions Club?

ha ha I was making a point... Masons is just like every other organisation out there.

To join or not to join... that is the question

edit on 9-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: typo

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

~Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

thx I really just laughed then. Gave you a star too

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I did write a huge post that got lost in the mail so to speak, but to briefly explain my viewpoint: the god of the OT murdered children and describes himself as a 'jealous god' to name but two character flaws. Whatever that god was, if he's prepared to murder children I wouldn't put it past him to lie. Maybe, just maybe this 'god' didn't really create the universe, but just said he did; maybe he was an alien or an angel on a ego trip, maybe worse.

There's a story of Saklas (the fool) who upon his birth, looked up and saw all this matter and at the frustration of his superiors, declared something along the lines of 'I am the one true god'. Couldn't that be your god? Or the god demanding sacrifice in the OT?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

God isn't religion. Judaism, Freemasonry and Christianity are all forms of manipulation and control using the name of God. If you were the embodiment of evil, might you not lie and call yourself God in order to conduct your wicked agenda? I might - if I were evil.

The problem with organised religions and the like, is that its members often seem to end up with their faith in the ritual and ceremony, and they end up compromising their objectivity in the name of their community. Just about eveybody wants to belong to something, but to quote the late great Jesus 'Blessed is he who stands solitary'.

We all have our beliefs and just so you can can have a laugh, here's mine: I believe I'm a prophet speaking on behalf of the Sun. Yes, seriously I'm that insane - I believe I have connected to the conciousness of that big fiery ball in the sky.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds
Freemasonry...are all forms of manipulation and control using the name of God.

How so?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by demiroyale
What exactly do the free masons do now and days? Forgive me if this is already said or asked as I didn't read every post. Thanks.

our main goal is charity. At the end of the day, that would be the one thing that we would claim. But in order to get to that point, we have to do a lot of other stuff. We have monthly, or bi weekly meetings to discuss things that need to be done. We have some ritual that we go through (much like at church but not quite the same) and we do that the same way it has been done for hundreds of years. We vote on and initiate new members. In order to make the candidates experience as good or better than ours was, we practice our parts (it kind of like a play). As for the charity part, we volunteer our time and raise money for whatever charity we adopt either in just our lodge or sometimes state wide. Like in NC we all contribute to the Children's home ( I think all do, not sure) but we also help out with local things like toys for tots, small local scholarships, or whatever else happens to show up. Once a guy who wasn't a mason had the unfortunate trouble of his house burning down. He and his family lost everything. We jumped in and took up collections to help them out and the money was donated to him to help him out until his insurance could help him the rest of the way. In a nutshell, that is what we do.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Its like the gangster that gives out turkeys at christmas.

second line

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Robert Reynolds

while your religion seems strange to me, it's not my place to judge you and for all I know you could be right and everyone else be wrong. That is how masonry works in relation to organized religion. There is no "masonic God". Only your personal God. For most, he is the big guy who made everything and sent his son down to help us out. For others he is Allah, for others he might be Buddha. For you, he is Sun.

I hope that clears it up.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Freemasonry is not for everyone. It certainly is not for you. Not entirely certain of the actual point of the thread except that you have issues putting faith and trust into strangers, ritualistic traditions, and a fear of the unknown. In short, you do not have what it takes to be a Mason, it's a very good thing you didn't join, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
there is nothing to be concerned about in Masonic Rituals. As in the "born again" of the Christians the Masonic "born again" symbolizes the conscious departure from the old ways and into a new more moral more ethical standard which then is begun. The degrees represent stepping stones or mile markers of learning. It is not about mind control or anything insidious. It is about living thence forward as a more aware person. One who has conditioned himself to the high paths in life.

Masonry is nothing to do with religion. Most members in this country are Christians. There is no conflict. God is never mentioned. No one is going to care which "flavor" of Christian you are or if you're an atheist. Not important.

If you are the kind who feels that there is more to existence than what is known on the surface of things then you might consider joining. Archaic language is used. It is an ancient order which is concerned with the development in man of the higher facilities.

Sure they'll take your money. I suppose they have rent to pay. Sure there are lots of oldsters who drive big Fords and Buicks. Well except for the Shriners who drive clown cars. You won't relate to everyone you meet. You'll be mixing with many who are older than you. They'll give you a book to study. When looking at the Masons on the internet you'll find good and bad. Not everyone likes them.

If you think that you would feel comfortable learning a slightly different, more ordered and thoughtful, way to live then join.

tt

edit on 10-10-2010 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

Masonry is nothing to do with religion. Most members in this country are Christians. There is no conflict. God is never mentioned. No one is going to care which "flavor" of Christian you are or if you're an atheist. Not important.

Actually, God is mentioned throughout, and atheists are not admitted into Freemasonry.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill

Our "tour guide" mason then said "if you join this week and pay your dues, you could get your first three degrees all at the same time, at the same ceremony, before summertime. Because the higher ups don't give out degrees in the summertime." But, why not in the summertime? Is my 350 dollar dues and degree fee going to be used for the higher ups to go on summer vacation? It was like $150-200 to join, and $50 dollars each degree. It struck me as a little weird but i have enough money.

Some Lodges do not meet during the summer. This is usually because members take time off work during the summer months for family vacations.

What your guide has described to you is a so-called "one day class", where you watch all the degrees being performed in an audience. This is not the traditional way to become a Mason, and practically all traditional Masons oppose it. As for dues and fees, the money goes into the Lodge general fund to pay for Lodge expenses.

Here is where i believe a higher power helped me make the right decision. Flame me if you like, i believe it to be true.
So i say, "yeah, i've heard you have to say and do some weird stuff, what does it all mean? (notice the direct question..)
He says, "Don't worry about it, we will help you through what your suppose to say and do, so it's not hard or confusing." (Ohh, notice the non-direct answer!)
That may have worked on me if i was concerned about screwing up my speech or tripping during the ceremony like a normal idiot, but not if i weren't questioning the hidden meaning of the ceremony.

I would venture that most Masons do not know any hidden meanings of Masonic symbol and ceremony, and probably most do not even know that hidden meanings exist. It must be remembered that most Masons do not view Freemasonry from a philosophical or religious perspective. Most Masons simply consider Masonry a sort of dinner club that utilizes archaic ritual from the past that they neither understand nor or interested in learning about.

I wonder how many people they have tricked into not thinking about the ceremony until afterward?

Nobody is "tricked" into anything. The whole purpose of all Masonic ceremonies is to get one to think about them, and ponder the possible meanings. If an initiate refuses to do so, it isn't Masonry's fault.

During the ceremony, i think you might give up your soul to freemasonry

Or just maybe, one may actually learn something about the soul.....

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

It is very easy to join. You just ask one. The dress code for the Lodge is dictated by the Worshipful Master (head of the Lodge). During my year I required all officers to dress in church-going attire (suit, tie (neck or bolo), and jacket). Everyone else I asked them to dress as nice, but understood if their job or prior engagement prevented that. If he was wearing purple, it also meant he was a Grand Lodge officer, a state level officer.

Many Lodges have display cases. My building has several as we have multiple Lodges that meet there. It also has York Rite, OES, DeMolay, and Jobs Daughter stuff in it.

We are a close group. I hang out with many of them quite a bit. Weekends we would go play Frisbee Golf (even some of the older members), other times we played poker, or just have movie nights with the wives (or girlfriend in my case).

The dues you pay to join don't go to higher ups. It goes to help pay for various things such as items given to the candidate through his journey to the 3rd degree. As Worshipful Master my Lodge voted to pay me $600, but that came from the general fund and not every Lodge does this. Then Grand Lodge gets $35 per member for per capita. Then depending on your building situation some Lodges pay rent and so on.

From the time of establishment of my Lodge to now, my Lodge has doubled its initiation dues ($75 - $150) and Annual Dues has only gone up $40. Technically if we had followed inflation one would pay close to a $1,000 for initiation. $350 is not that bad.

Also not every Lodge does one day classes. Its actually rare, and most oppose it. I've never seen one.

You do have a coach to help you through your proficiency. The guide couldn't tell you what is said during the initiation as he would break his obligation. The coach is there to answer questions you have about the degree. Your coach doesn't intentionally mislead you or not answer questions. Every Master Mason knows the meaning of the symbols.

There is no meaning hidden from the member. No one is ever tricked. There is much to the process of joining and there is plenty of interaction before one even walks through the door. Nor do you do anything that may cause you to lose your soul.

It is something you do talk to the wife with and we encourage the family to come with you to dinners and to ask questions as well. The ceremony is never about killing you or resurrection. The ceremonies are dramatic re-enactments of Masonic lore. Everything is explained to you during the ceremonies.

Freemasonry is not about world conquest.

You're glad you didn't join, but you haven't projected a rational argument as to why you don't like it. You gave assumptions, but nothing to support it. Know this, Freemasonry hides nothing from its members.

reply to post by Masonic Light

I was so mad when my Lodge voted to keep going in the summer time. Most every other body goes dark for the summer and its a nice little break to do family stuff.
edit on 11-10-2010 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2010 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
i found this:www.rense.com...

apperently obabma is a freemason

edit: nope, hes not.......and george bush was a bonesman but was never a mason....interesting.
edit on 17-10-2010 by colonelblake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Anything hidden in darkness is wrong in nature, otherwise it would be out there in the open.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychoReaper4

Why?

Why is it important for everything to be available to everyone, even if it doesn't affect them?

Why is it evil for you to know the outstanding balance of our monthly rental?
Why is it evil not to see our rituals if you are not a member?

Universities don't allow anyone to attend their classes. They impart knowledge only to students who have signed up as members of the university. Freemasonry doesn't allow anyone to attend their classes. They impart knowledge only to students who have signed up as members of the society.

Anyone who has signed up at a university may know all their "secrets." Anyone who has signed up for freemasonry may know all of their "secrets". Both have entrance requirements, and allow entry only to some.

What makes one evil and the other not?
edit on 20/10/2010 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Exactly, in a world where knowledge will set you free, you still nee to pay your dues, in this case money, to access that knowledge when it could be easily accessed through word of mouth, the internet, or hell some asshole who knows but just wants to give that knowledge out for free. Essentially, if we can't shell out the money for the knowledge, then we are instantly set in a world of boundaries and limitations. I want to know everything, and yet i most definitely can't pay the price for it. Is it my fault? Maybe, but come on for 20 years I have tried my hardest to get ahead and still I'm a slave to pathetic fast food companies. Honestly, this is probably the rant of a sad, incomplete, drunk, but shouldn't I still matter in this world?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
Honestly, this is probably the rant of a sad, incomplete, drunk, but shouldn't I still matter in this world?

If you are in fact a 'sad, incomplete, drunk' then maybe you should start by worrying about your own well-being instead of what others are doing in their own privacy. I say this out of concern and not sarcasm.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Totally agree, and by the way I am now the WM of my Lodge and I joined in March 2001. Am I a Christian ? No I am not but Church of England. Do I attend Church etc the answer to that is also no (or only where I have to Weddings, Funerals etc) Do I believe in a Supreme Being, Stellar Force ? Great Architect ? Well I believe that we are all part of something universal whatever the name given to that force but will only find that out when I pass over.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join