It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cracked paint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I recently started a new project, something I wanted to do for a very long time: furniture remake!
So I went to a little second hand store and bought some furniture that had the exact shape I like. I have this very specific broquant antique look in my head and the ones I bought are just right.

I never did woodwork or painted anything else but paper and walls, this is going to be a very experimental project for me.... so I spend hours and days looking up techniques on the internet. So far I did everything right, started from scratch, took appart the furniture, removed old paint and varnish, put a primer on.... this all took me 5 days, LOL

I want the furniture to have cracked paint on the sides, working with a under layer (the color of the cracks) and a top layer. I found this 'craquelure varnish' in an art store, I tested it and the effect is just right. But, it is also very expensive and not really meant to do big pieces with. The intention is to put on the under layer, put the craquelure varnish on that and then the top layer over it (the craquelure makes the paint from the toplayer shrink so it makes craques.. some kind of chemical effect).
I'm starting the last process tomorrow.....

Now I was wondering, for future projects, if there isn't another way to make paint crack? Except for leaving it on for 30 years.......
There is nothing on the Internet about this but I figured that someone should know something that works and that is a bit cheaper?

all hints and tips are welcome, as well for the cracked paint as for painting furniture!
edit on 8/10/2010 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

That sounds really cool! Will you put pictures up when you finish?

I suspect you saw this, but right at the end in particular the effect looks really awesome. Although I'm not sure about the gold.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Yes, saw that one, it does explain the technique very well....
but seeing and doing is a whole other thing, lol

I don't like the gold much, I'm working with a glossy creamy white with metalic grey underneath for my first piece, the second will be antique white with underneath a mix of metalic shade of red/brownish and metalic grey

my second piece is a very large wooden dresser, so that's why I need a cheaper way to crack the paint

I post a picture if the result is at least "somewhat" ok

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Well I shall look forward to it! Good luck!

I know my friend painted his guitar one time, and for some reason it dried with weird cracks through it, and looked amazing. But then his Dad went to check the paint and left a massive smudged grubby fingerprint on it which pretty much ruined the effect.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

painting my guitar..... now don't give me ideas! haha

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I noticed your signature there do you make Avatars too?

How much do you charge or how do I go about getting one of those bad boys?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

charge? no charge
Just go to my thread and tell me what you want in your sig, add images if you have some , the text that has to go on it, a certain color scheme, etc... anything you can think of.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
As far as the cracking paint goes--------->BIG disaster!

problem one: the craquelure vernish makes the hairs of the paintbrush come out untill nothing is left (yes, I use good brushes, some I've been using for a long time and they never lost hairs)

problem two: the varnish starts to react to the paint within seconds, which means you can only paint over the same spot once. Try it a second time and it starts to peel off. When it's dry it looses it's effect so you can't go over the thinner spots again....

Problem 3: you can only use water based paints or it won't give a chemical reaction.....

so my first attempt was a faillure, I have to remove all the paint again and start over.

Need another way to crack paint so if someone has any ideas, pls let me know!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Sounds like a nightmare! Speed seems to be a virtue in that case. I use good brushes myself whenever I paint on acrylic even then sometimes I lose hairs. The worst is when you don't see it until it has dried and by removing it you leave a hair imprint!

I chopped up a load of my old albums earlier and made a collage to put in a frame, looks pretty good but now I've glued them down I would mind changing it!
Sods law...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

oh, hope they weren't worth anything? LOL

did you skipped my post about the avi? scrollup !

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
new technique to make cracked paint work:
1. put primer on
2. first coat in collor X
3. craquelure varnish
4. top coat in same collor X (same as in 2)

now the cracks are there but they are invisible... but at least your surface is covered smoothly and you don't need another coat of paint.
You can also use the patina paint to 'shadow' corners or make collor gradients

5. rub in the cracks with a patina paint or waterpaint, wash off whatever is to much... let dry
6. transparant vernish on top... don't make it to glossy or it will loose the 'antique' effect.

I'm trying this out sometime soon.... fingers crossed

new topics

top topics

join