It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China warns Norway of negative consequences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

China warns Norway of negative consequences

www.chinadaily.com.cn

BEIJING, October 8 (Xinhua) -- Awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to China's Liu Xiaobo desecrated the prize and could harm China-Norway ties, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu on Friday.

Ma made the remarks in a press release after he was asked to comment on the award, which was announced earlier in Oslo, Norway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Will this years Nobel Peace Prize harm the good relationship between China and Norway, now that Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was rewarded the famous prize? Also, Xiaobo's defence atteurney fears that one consequence of this prize might be that Liu Xiaobo's wife, Liu Xia, might be jailed. Norway exports much salmon and oil to China, and a Chinese boycot might result in loss in Norways lucrative trade with China.

The main link was the only one I found in English. In Norway this is all over the news.

www.chinadaily.com.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
Will this years Nobel Peace Prize harm the good relationship between China and Norway, now that Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was rewarded the famous prize?

Kudos to Norway and the Nobel Committee for having the fortitude to rub China's nose in its totalitarian reality. China can pretend to be progressive, but even actions like threatening the Nobel folks simply underscores what an Orwellian monster China really is.
They have a long way to go, yet.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
so what ?

let the chinese boycott norway

china still needs oil and fish - so IMHO the boycott might actually be in norways interests

let me explain :

norway exports ******** barrels of oil and ******** tons of fish anually to china

china has to either replace these imports with imports from another country or do without [ this would harm the chinese ecconomy ]

first salmon - there is only a finite supply in the work - almost all of it " accounted for " - unless a producer is prepared to overfish thier fisheries just to appease china

so to secure another line of import - the chinese will have to invite tenders to supply salmon that currently is being sold to someone else

this will require either financial [ a gigher tender ] or ideological / political incentive - if they put in a higher tender the norweigans can demand the same price from the consumer that used to get the salmon that will then go to china - and make more money

if someone supplies salmon to china for ideological / political purposes - china can fill the void at the same price , gaining a new and gratefull trading partner

the same goes for the oil

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am not familiar with the workings of what this person has done to be considered for the Nobel prize. All I can say is I hope that the committee will make there decision with out the influence of any sort politics or government intervention. If they allow them selves to be influenced then that will tarnish what ever clout the award holds and thus no country need to bother to make a threat like this again.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And the Nobel prize committie just says "No" to Chicom pressure

Chinese dissident Liu wins Nobel Peace Prize
news.yahoo.com...

Congrats to Liu on his Nobel prize

top topics

join