It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fight against clothes line bans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I had no idea that it was actually illegal, in some parts of the US, to hang your washing outside to dry. What the hell is up with the world? It is the most natural way to dry your clothes. They smell good, it reduces your electricty bill and reduces carbon emissions. I do own a tumble drier, but I think that I have used it perhaps 3 times in over 5 years.

I read this article today and it blew my socks off: www.bbc.co.uk...

Please tell me that the BBC have got this wrong and that you are able to hang your washing out, or am I getting my knickers in a twist? (yes, pun intended)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I guess the US really is the land of the free.

Ok so either it is illegal or your using code to talk to your contacts

Or maybe the us just has some very stupid laws.... some include, you may not take a lion to the cinema[ which means at some point in time someone has tried] , men with moustaches cannot kiss women, a fireman cannot rescue a woman in a nightgown [never seen a fireman in a nightgown mind you] and a shop owner cannot sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same custoer on a sunday.
added to these the clothes line rule sounds quite reasonable

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mackblack27

Wow, are those real and valid laws in the US of A? If the firefighter is female, I would have no objections to her wearing a nightie while she tries to recuse me.
edit on 8/10/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: I must check spelling. I must check spelling. I must check spelling.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Actually in Florida where I live it is illegal to hang clothes outside but it's one of those insanely stupid laws that doesn't get attention....

There are plenty of laws like this all over, just do a google search for weird laws.

I actually read this yesterday as a matter of fact on an APP I have on my phone for weird laws.

It's also illegal to sing in a bathing suit here in Florida...guess I am a criminal on the run
I love to sing, esp at the beach

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well my friend, I hope you have a good voice as they may slap one on you for disturbing the peace or noise pollution. LOL You carry on singing. It is the only thing that seems to be tax free these days.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

Well my friend, I hope you have a good voice as they may slap one on you for disturbing the peace or noise pollution. LOL You carry on singing. It is the only thing that seems to be tax free these days.

Lol yeah agreed!

There are so many silly laws that i can't believe went thru yet they have no time for the real laws they should be passing..

WHO in the world would ban clothes hanging outside to dry? I live in FL and grew up with clothes dried outside, they smell so good esp sheets! Nice and crisp.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I moved from the UK to the South of France and I swear that the air in our area is scented. When we bring the washing in, it smells soooooooo good.
But then, look at the views we get after 30 driving. I refer to the Avatar on my profile. That is just down the road from our house, and oh yes, that really is me . LOL

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The problem is most people living in a HOA don't know they can dissolve it.
HOAs were set up allowing the developer to control the development till they had sold the homes.
After this happened a few homeowners took control and turned the HOA into there fiefdoms.
and many became corrupt or run by a click to make money for the board of the HOA.
www.ahrc.se...
www.ahrc.com...
denver.yourhub.com...
colorado.indymedia.org...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I couldn't believe what I was reading, a string of quotes with the words 'our freedoms' went through my head (in a GWB accent which creeped me out)

Then I got to the readers comments at the bottom of the page and I was even more shocked at what the person from Surrey had to say

This isn't just an American issue. I have a covenant on my house in Surrey that not only prevents me from hanging up laundry on my land, but that prevents me from hanging it indoors where it may be visible from outside. So I technically have to close the curtains when I do my laundry. This is beyond silly.

Sometimes we really do deserve all we get

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I had no idea that it was actually illegal, in some parts of the US, to hang your washing outside to dry.

It isn't. You misread the article.

Rules imposed by community associations and landlords forbid tens of millions of home owners to dry their washing outside because, they say, it's unsightly and even lowers property prices.

It is the landlord, or the community homeowner's association, that has set the rules. It would be part of the rental/lease/association contract.

Actually in Florida where I live it is illegal to hang clothes outside but it's one of those insanely stupid laws that doesn't get attention....

Again, you misread the article.

Florida, Utah, Maine, Vermont, Colorado and Hawaii have passed laws restricting the rights of housing authorities to stop residents from using clotheslines, and several other states including Pennsylvania are considering similar bills

It isn't illegal; it against the building/community rules.

I agree that those rules are insane, though.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yes its true... There was a big stink about it in my area not long ago...www.peachygreen.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't live in such a place where a clothesline is illegal. Running a washer/dryer is expensive, and feeds to public utilities, this is the real reason for this banning. Money. I have clothes on the line right now, drying for free, and getting a nice, fresh smell.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
HOA's are about as dumb as a box of rocks. If you are looking to buy a house, the potential HOA should be a major concern for you!

My next door neighbor has a bunch of anti-war signs in his yard, been there for 6 years or so. A few houses down there's a strange bird who creates random woodworking embellishments to his house/fences. He's moved onto driftwood sculpture this summer. I imagine by next year the house may not be visible due to all his craziness. My kids call it the Woodchester Mystery House. (google Winchester Mystery House for reference to the joke)

But you know what? I'll take my crazy neighbor's quirks, if it means I have the freedom to put up a flag, or political signs of my own, or to paint my house neon pink, or even to (gasp!) hang up my laundry out back!

Actually I don't hang laundry, but this summer I think I might give it a try, never thought about it before.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

My dream home would have a clothesline
in the backyard.I have a beautiful home in
an upscale neighborhood and I want to sell
it and move where I can have a clothesline.
Sheets and towels smell great when they
have been line dried.I haven't had a clothesline
since 1989.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

A line in the article explains this fully .......

Rules imposed by community associations and landlords forbid tens of millions of home owners to dry their washing outside because, they say, it's unsightly and even lowers property prices.

These aren't laws per se, they are "rules" made by either the landlord or the homeowners association. Certain so called prestigious developments or housing subdivisions are created with rules by which the entire community must live (if they want to live there). The rules usually dictate what you can and cannot do with your own property since in their eyes it reflects upon the community as a whole. Apparently hanging one's laundry outside is aesthetically unpleasing
and might lower the value of their properties.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have always lived where hanging one's laundry outside was considered normal, and dryers didn't come into vogue until I was an adult.

These photos represent my dryer (I do have an electric one which I use about five times a year).

This is the lazy woman's clothesline
It has a pulley on either end and I just pull the clothes to me.

This is what I hold the clothes to the line with

and this is how many I have of them

Even in the dead of winter laundry will dry on the line outside if a breeze is blowing. They freeze dry and nothing man has made to go in the dryer beats the smell of freeze dried laundry. Nothing!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I not only miss having a clothesline,
I miss having a wringer washer as well.
Those were the days my friend...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I have three! and I have my husband talked into attaching a lawnmower motor to one of them. Now I just need to get him to help me build a wood gas system to power the lawnmower motor

top topics

join