It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$918,856 Federal Study: Bar Fights Tend to Happen in Darker, Dirtier Bars Frequented by Heavy Drinki

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism paid $918,856 in tax dollars to fund a five-year study of “Alcohol and Bar Violence” that determined, among other things, that bar fights tend to occur in venues that are relatively dark, dirty, noisy, hot, and crowded and that are frequented by a clientele of younger, less agreeable, less conscientious, more impulsive heavy drinkers. The study also discovered that a woman who gets in a bar fight has consumed on average four times as many drinks as her usual intake. The $918,856 went to researchers at the Research Institute on Addictions at the State University of New York at Buffalo for a project entitled “Alcohol and Bar Violence.” The project ran from Sept. 25, 1997 to Aug. 31, 2002. The research was based on two telephone surveys in which a random sample of 1,400 men and women between the ages of 18 and 30 were interviewed. Additional respondents were also recruited through newspaper advertisements. The researchers ultimately derived a sub-sample of 300 respondents who said they had either observed or been involved in aggression in bars. These respondents were interviewed in person. From this group, the researchers derived a group of 92 women who had either initiated or been the recipient of aggression in a bar. The researchers paid these women $50 a piece to fill out a questionnaire and submit to a face-to-face interview.

Source: www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Seriously, a $918k study on bar fights and the type of people that get involved in such fights?

Have you ever gone to a bar or pub and seen bar fights? If you have, where, and does it correlate with the statistics shown on the article? What types of people do you often see exchanging blows after a few too many beers?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It's always in the seedy little dive bars. I know I used to live within walking (staggering) distance of several. The places in a little more upscale area that I frequented never had any problems.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Another million dollar research study. Meanwhile, we cannot educate our children. We cannot fund local police. We cannot fund unemployment. But corporations and universities line up for hand-outs of every shape, kind, and breed. We need to do a trillion dollar study on how people become conspiracy theorists...oh wait, it's stuff like this!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Fifty dollars to answer a survey....about bar fights?
They could have gotten better results by surveying the people who were in a fight last night for the cost of a beer. They could have asked the police where they get the most bar fights. They could have asked any one with common sense to fill in the blanks for them before spending nearly a million bucks to figure out something that everybody who goes to bars knows.

Idiots.....wasting our money on more useless crap......again.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Better yet, they could have given me a million dollars and I would have stumbled around to local bars for years performing research asking other drunks which bars they like to fight in.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They needed a study to determine this?

Ha.. Sorry but it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

I thought everyone knew this? What a waste of money that could have gone to something more productive and useful.

top topics

join