It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Licensing Internet Access? Microsoft Proposal Raises Eyebrows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

A senior Microsoft executive has suggested government licensing of Internet access as a way to improve cybersecurity. Under the proposal, federal authorities would be able to block Internet access of computers infected with malware, thereby curbing cyberthreats soon after they begin.

“If a device is known to be a danger to the Internet, the user should be notified and the device should be cleaned before it is allowed unfettered access to the Internet, minimizing the risk of the infected device contaminating other devices,” said Scott Charney, Microsoft vice president of trustworthy computing.

Sounds reasonable?

Maybe. But there is a big catch.

The system would require mandatory installation of software that would to allow government access to each user’s computer. Furthermore, having government licensing of Internet access would mean that federal authorities would have complete power of dictating who can use the Internet and when.

Source: news.gather.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Not going to happen.
Not on my watch!!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
How can one of the largest U.S. software corporations advocate the unthinkable? Advocate a government licensing program to improve cybersecurity?

More like a license to monopolize control over the Internet they fearfully dread, for it is the last bastion of free speech that exposed and continues to expose their dastardly criminal globalist agenda in front of the world to see, and they would utilize every resource and every law available to make this possible for themselves.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I fear this sort of enforced immunization than i do the swine flu scam.

This they can get away with and is likely to be put in place in some form or another.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Bill Gates and probably a few other handpicked microsoft people have attended bilderberg meetings and probably many other globalist think tank type groups that everyone is familiar with...

We are now seeing the fruits of those meetings in these company people proposing these clearly globalist world controls put on everything , and now the internet, (the last frontier of freedom).

I have a few suggestions as a remedy, but I would get in trouble if I mentioned them...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
lol ... thats because the real hackers wouldnt be able to bypass that, right?

this is just an excuse, no one with good intentions would talk about something like that, its completely crazy

and really, if they wanted block your access, they wouldnt need a software in your computer, there are other ways non intrusive

this is madness, and really .. this kind of news is that makes people go crazy, because you just cannot accept that someone with responsibility would even think something stupid as that

really, is everyone stupid or am I that smart ... OR are they trying to mislead everyone again

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Seems to me that one of the first infections to come out will be one that infects the monitor and blocking service running on the user's machine..lol

No, I see this as only idle brainstorming and nothing more. I have made some pretty retarded comments during brainstorming sessions before. Luckily I am not important enough to have my lame-brained ideas splattered over the news..

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
Not going to happen.
Not on my watch!!

But, you will eventually need to sleep...

So I will take second watch while you sleep and wake you when I'm too tired to watch any longer.

We will continue this indefinitely.

You are right...NOT GUNNA HAPPEN...I say no.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Why not? We the People in our infinite expedient wisdom agreed to be licensed to drive, and subsequently agreed that driving is a privilege and not a right. We the People in our infinite expedient wisdom agreed to have our businesses licensed, subsequently booksellers, shoe makers, and landscapers all have to obtain a license in order to do business, because apparently, doing business is a privilege and not a right. We the People in our infinite expedient wisdom demanded "universal" health care in the form of insurance schemes and are just a few years shy of having to obtain licenses just to see a doctor. Not on your watch? You will obtain a license to drive, if not own a business sign government contracts in the form of withholding allowance certificates for the privilege of employment, and soon enough will agree to licensing schemes for "health care" for the privilege of welfare. Watch, you'll see.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

This is actually more frightening to me than it appears to be to others.

If Intel could be brought on board with this idea there is little that people could to do avoid it. Sure, workarounds and hacks would pop-up. But they'd be countered, measure by measure, attempt by attempt, and success by success until the tech was adequate enough to be effectively impossible to avoid.

This is why "hacker" arrests tapered off quite a few years ago, now... Letting them "root" around was the best way of finding, assessing, and repairing exploitable code. Script kiddies, for years, have been doing work for corporations that people used to get paid a LOT of money to do. And they've been doing it for free and the chance to have their "haxored by..." seen by a few others.

The danger with this concept, to me, is that it would be a Trojan horse. A political backdoor exploit not based in code, but in legislation and obscure and misunderstood law. At first it would be about malware but it wouldn't take much time until "seditious" or "questionable" content was slipped into the criteria. And most westerners would buy into it hook line and sinker because the news would tell us about how some terror plot was averted by the governments ability to read some extremists hard drive, remotely, and that it yielded all sorts of plans, schematics, contacts, and manifesto-esque writings.

Tyranny in the name of personal security... The new battle hymn of the Republic.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You're correct, there will be ways around this sort of thing. Sadly that's only going to be for the very computer savvy. I agree with you 100% that this is frightening.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think all Western countries will have some form of internet identification within the next 10 years, at the very latest.

It is a frightening prospect, but one that's inevitable in such a digitally encapsulated world.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That will be the day I turn off the interest to use the net.
I pay for enough of my freedoms already

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Very well said, Jean Paul, We the People have willingly given over our rights in return for a license and a fee and a tax in a great many things. The license process, couple with city permits can be daunting on a small business manager...I have done this myself.

We can all beat out Microsoft in one fell swoop, as it were. Download and run Linux on your computer. Let them try to install an .exe file in the background, like Windows is want to do. Forget virus/malware/trojans, they do not work well in Linux, and a hacker must obtain root privileges,
which in my machine is an encrypted algorithm of 280 possibles.
Get your Linux Operating System here. Tell Microsoft to buzz off.
Linus is easy to install, (except Slackware and several others that require manual partitioning of the drive. Most new users begin with
Ubuntu, if you get the "Alternative Version" you too can have an encrypted drive. When installed, everything works. Be a Computer Rebel.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Like we would be able to trust Microsoft to create a program like this with any competence. Most likely we would be in version...7 before we even had a working copy and it would require 10x the computing power currently in place.

How about Microsoft make an operating system that is both secure and able to avoid viruses and malware first? Then we wouldn't need more interference with our daily lives. Oh wait, that operating system exists already..its called; linux, freebsd, and unix.

Vote NO to rewarding incompetence.

..Ex

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
It would be a dream to blow out Microsoft from the computing world altogether, although it is good to nibble at it like mice on Swiss cheese.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Who will actually be dumb enough to vote for this?

top topics

join