It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Changes?Unexplained Crevice Appears in Michigan

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Wow that's out of it, it's like something huge is trying to get out of the ground, like a mothership or godzilla!! hahahaha. Thanks Op. Will see what the experts say on this.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Pretty sure this is just Blizzard preparing for Cataclysm.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It doesn't seem that this sort of thing is very rare.

Thought I'd repost Phage's comment and video.

It does seem that these things do happen...it's just new and shocking to those who haven't experienced it before or didn't have any prior knowledge of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

I claim this to be a marketing ploy for the new World of Warcraft, Cataclysm...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Not a sinkhole, a sinkhole from 2010
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Sorry but phage your wrong on this one.

I would love to help you and if impossible link what sinkhole really look like, if you want.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
A small earthquake most likely, or just erosion (soil slipping over the substrata). Been much rain there recently?
Earth subsidence happens all the time all over the world.
At worst the start of the separation of the North American continent into 2 entities, a smaller version as to what is happening in the Horn of Africa.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It is clearly Manbearpig coming up to stop Al Gore's lies.

Methinks, anyway.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by wayno

I live in south-eastern Arizona. We have something similar that happens all the time around here. People way overpopulate the area so quickly it defies the imagination and drill for ground-water. When the water level drops a great deal really quickly, the ground will give way in various (often loud) ways. There is a place only a few miles from my home that we refer to as, "the sinking desert" where there are fissures nearly a mile long, a good 10-20 feet across and deep enough that in some areas (when they were fresh anyway) you couldn't even see the bottom.
I'm not saying that that's what's going on there, but at least it's something to consider.

That's rather fascinating. Considering that you live so close to this "sinking desert", would you mind driving out there to get some pictures and then upload them here for us all to see?

I'm not overly concerned about the fissure in the ground depicted in this thread as it's not one that extends for a significant distance, and is therefore, likely a localized event of minimal impact. That said, geology surprises us all the time with things we thought we had figured out. As Mark Twain once quipped, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
My first thought...

Expanding earth theory. Even more so upon hearing "it happens all the time"

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It can't be a soil slippage, the ground has been uplifted, what was flat ground is now hillish, best answer to that is some kind of expansion underground. So you have three choices, a big ice cube forming or moving, a stirring UFO buried underneath the ground, or David Banner, (aka the hulk) also buried underground and getting angry !!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

Between this, the large sinkholes appearing all over the world and the ballooning of the Yellowstone Caldera, things are looking pretty interesting. I read an article that said the "Magnetic True North" is moving into Siberia now. I wonder if the Pole shift could be creating an increase in magmatic activity or vice versa.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is what one could call a 'warning' sign.
A red flag of sorts.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
SWEET!! I live in Flint Michigan and have the weekend off... Gonna try and swing by and see if I cant get a closer look of this... I'll post pictures if I can get any.. Keep you guys up to speed, give me a couple of days...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Wow. An upheaval vs a sinkhole. I am intrigued. I wonder if there are any D.U.M.B.s up in that area?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I love this quote from the news link.

“I don’t know really. It just looks like a giant crack in the ground,” said young spectator and local resident, Ashley Armbrust. “I don’t know what happened.”

You don't say.

But on a serious note.
It's very strange, it's weird how the crack is only 3-4ft deep. Seems like only the top has moved
Are the woods near a cliff or a hill that has eroded?

Cheers
Brady

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Expanding Earth has been mentioned, but no on has provided a link.

www.expanding-earth.org...

Look it over.
I always have a problem with the mention of millions and billions of years.
They don't really know and shouldn't pretend to know.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm wondering if a raise in the water table might cause this upheave? Where water had once drained, it has now been blocked for whatever reason.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is nothing extraordinary. It could be caused by a underground processes such as techtonics, water table changes or mineralization changes. Around my neck of the woods we do see this:

Holbrook Fissure

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee438a6a7b64.jpg[/atsimg]

According to the Arizona Geology Blog website it says:

it is underlain by extensive salt and other evaporate minerals. As these deposits were dissolved over time, the overlying rocks dropped down, creating a broad anticlinal fold. This resulted in extension cracks over the top of the folded layers which have eroded into The Sinks and other similar features in the region.

So what is an anticlinal fold? Well, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica it states the following definition:

An anticline is a fold that is convex upward, and a syncline is a fold that is concave upward. An anticlinorium is a large anticline on which minor folds are superimposed, and a synclinorium is a large syncline on which minor folds are superimposed.

The following illustration courtesy of geoclassroom.com:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9418592300d6.gif[/atsimg]

Since this place is called Birch Creek, then I must speculate that either the water table changed or enough salts and mineralization events occurred in the geology to cause this. It's interesting but nothing extraordinary. It's not like the Hulk and Wolverine were having an all battle out here.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Exactly. Before I moved to Florida I was not aware of sinkholes, and found them disturbing akin to earth quakes when I was in California and Arizona going to school.

We had a sinkhole appear after the hurricanes of 2004 that swallowed up a major portion of a local four-lane highway and left cracks in the ground similar to these for hundreds of yards.

Edit: I wanted to add that its damned spooky when you can't even trust the ground under your own feet!
edit on 8-10-2010 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I've come up with my own theory. I think of Earth as an endless conveyor belt. The Earth recycles everything, including it's tectonic plates. I can't help but think that if the Earth is 4+ Billion years old, why has it's core not cooled down enough to cause a die off of the planet? I'll leave it at that and let your imaginations finish my theory.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join