UCL research suggests light drinking while pregnant will not harm baby

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

UCL research suggests light drinking while pregnant will not harm baby

www.cypnow.co.uk

Pregnant women drinking a small glass of wine a week will not harm their child's behaviour or development, researchers from University College London (UCL) have found.

The study involved more than 11,000 women who were asked about their drinking habits and their child’s behaviour at intervals up to the age of five.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.wesh.com

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is something I have always suspected to be true. An occasional glass of wine or beer while pregnant is not harmful to the baby. Obviously heavy drinking and/or drinking to get drunk is bad for a fetus. but maybe this study will get people to lighten up a little about some of the things a women does and consumes while pregnant.

Indeed this is a very interesting and controversial study.

www.cypnow.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Yeah I saw this on the news yesterday. I think it is irresponsable and sends mixed messages to propagate this story however IMO.

It says light drinking, in the report this suggests, 1 glass of wine a week, 1 beer or 1 spirit.

But how many irresponsible people are out there. I can just see it now, a bunch of idiot adolecent parents (adolecences now extends into the mid-late twenties) are going to end up thinking its okay to binge drink one night when they are 7 months pregnant and thinking everything is going to be okay - 2 months later their child is going to be born with brain damage.

Thats why its easier just to say, dont drink while you're pregnant - once glass of redwine at a wedding is okay, tops.

bah - I wonder who paid for this study? The Alcohol lobby?

new topics

join