It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An opinion from a skeptic regarding recent posts (no trolling, no arguing intended )

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't post on every UFO thread. For years I didn't post on them at all. I'd say I post on one of every ten threads.
Latley there has been a raft of ridiculous, self righteous, blind UFO cheerleading posts. Posts completly devoid of any rational basis, no scientific basis, or basis in reality for that matter! This is demeaning to the very idea of ATS. Are we to become just another nut website?
Repeated rational questions of believers, repeatedly pointing out hoaxes and ignorance of scientific fact has only resulted in pseudo religious indignation from believers. They have made no attempt to debate, or even discuss anything. Just asseted their FAITH and their contempt for skeptics, brushing aside without thought anything a sceptic writes.
They make their usual charges of being closed minded, not doing "research" and every other trite BS cliche' they have used for years to rationalize their own blind dogmatic beliefs.
If we continue our apparent daily "I'm in contact with aliens" post, then I sincerely suggest a seperate forum for that.
One without stars & flags and points. Let's see how that goes!
When something is silly, it's just plain silly. No amount of "debate" changes that.
Perhaps if the believer didn't have such amazingly low to non existent standards for their beliefs there would be no reason for skeptics to point out the obvious.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There is a place for the "I am in contact with aliens" threads - it's called the Gray Area. And, generally speaking, that is where such threads get started. Not in the UFOs/Aliens forum.

Unfortunately, trolls and debunkers follow the believers and claimants into that forum and continue to berate and denigrate them there. Hooting and hollering and demanding evidence even though the Grey Area is SPECIFICALLY for stories and claims without evidence.

It is not the radical believers and claimants that have ruined this website, it is trolls and overzealous skeptics who have cowed and browbeaten everyone else to silence.

If you're uncomfortable with the subject matter on ATS, perhaps you would feel more at home at ScienceForums.com or discover magazine or some other such "mainstream" forum.

This thread is a waste of time and space, and demonstrates to me that you are just one more "pissed off" dogmatist who can't stand people believing in things that you think aren't true.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

This thread is a waste of time and space, and demonstrates to me that you are just one more "pissed off" dogmatist who can't stand people believing in things that you think aren't true.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They why reply to it?
Who is p****** off, me or you?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

"GIANT SPACESHIPS HEADING TOWARDS EARTH" comes to mind. I have noticed that too, and I also think the search function is broken because every day I see "new" threads with the same stuff, first line from the OP of those posts is "I searched and could not find this..."

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Yay to OldDragger is what I say!

It's about time that a site which tries to promote truth stops letting obvious liars get the centre of attention.

I've had plenty of U2U's, or PMs, or whatever they are called these days, where mods or otherwise people in control know that I am extracting the urine.

Why can't these same minds apply the same reasoning to those who are actually milking people for their own vulnerabilities or shortcomings when it comes to observable evidence or factual claims?

A separate, non-praising, section which utilises the same efficiency in shutting down 'believer' threads as is currently used with 'sceptic' threads is al that is needed.

When the truth finally comes out - do you think it will be believers who scrutinise it and make it believable to the masses or do you reckon an air of scientific reasoning will be used to do so?

I expect this thread to be binned for not being 'pro-idiot' before too long.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Well, I consulted my alien handlers and I was instructed to tell Old Dragger that they need this attention to power their light ships. (kind of like Monsters,Inc.). Without the constant attention and arguing and debating, they simply fall to the Earth (like Obama's presidency), but as long as debunkers and schizophrenics continue the back and forth verbiage, the ships can continue to operate (like an emotional tidal power). Wait....wait....this just in, your thread has created a power surge and 10 more off-world vacations have just been approved. WOOHOO, Alpha Centauri here I come!!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
I don't post on every UFO thread. For years I didn't post on them at all. I'd say I post on one of every ten threads.
Latley there has been a raft of ridiculous, self righteous, blind UFO cheerleading posts. Posts completly devoid of any rational basis, no scientific basis, or basis in reality for that matter! This is demeaning to the very idea of ATS. Are we to become just another nut website?
Repeated rational questions of believers, repeatedly pointing out hoaxes and ignorance of scientific fact has only resulted in pseudo religious indignation from believers. They have made no attempt to debate, or even discuss anything. Just asseted their FAITH and their contempt for skeptics, brushing aside without thought anything a sceptic writes.
They make their usual charges of being closed minded, not doing "research" and every other trite BS cliche' they have used for years to rationalize their own blind dogmatic beliefs.
If we continue our apparent daily "I'm in contact with aliens" post, then I sincerely suggest a seperate forum for that.
One without stars & flags and points. Let's see how that goes!
When something is silly, it's just plain silly. No amount of "debate" changes that.
Perhaps if the believer didn't have such amazingly low to non existent standards for their beliefs there would be no reason for skeptics to point out the obvious.

You sound very angry just who has upset you - believe what you want dont worry what others say
Unless you intend to police ATS

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I already police ATS - and the mods of this Aliens and UFO section.

You want your kid to commit suicide because some fool says the aliens told them so?

Didn't think so.

This forum needs some sanity and it's not coming from the top down like it should.

The only people who will look like fools in the future will be the people who post these ridiculous ideas and the people who allow them to be posted.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm just modestly doing my part.
I'm that kind of guy.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

What is the point of this thread other than to bait "believers" into yet another skeptics vs believers war?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

To tell the admins to get off their fat arses and get the job of denying ignorance/promoting truth done properly.

Or perhaps it was just the Easter bunny telling me to type that.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm just modestly doing my part.
I'm that kind of guy.

I am all for sceptism - I think it is a healthy thing but the Gray area allows people to post their views without the burden of proof sureley or am I wrong?
Some beliefs are widely held and can not be proven such as theory - so what is the problem with posting in the Gray area? Please elucidate

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I have had a lifelong interest in astronomy, science in general, science fiction, AND the subject of UFO's.
I'm nearly 60 years old.
What I see here is akin to people speculating if babies are delivered by storks.
Part of the dumbing down of America. Sorry, but everyone's opinion on everything is not equal.New Age mumbo jumbo doesn't answer any of the cosmic questions, it just makes people feel better, the false "knowing" is comforting, but not enlightening.
Ethusiastic voluntary and willfull ignorance SHOULD be appalling to thinking people.
That's one trend I cannot follow, no matter how in vouge.
Are we denying ignorance, or embracing and glorifying it?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

How long does it take for a 'silly' thread to get moved to the 'Grey area'?

How long does it take for a 'serious' critical thinking thread on the entire subject to get moved to the 'Grey area' or 'Skunk works'?

There is a disparity between those who 'believe' wholeheartedly and those who scrutinise with regards to efficiency to reallocating to a correct subsection of these forums.

This isn't a fight about who's right - this is a fight about who's allowed to stay in a subsection with their claims for the longest, and potentially most correct, due to the workings of the administration of these forums.

Check my signature links and tell me I'm wrong.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Posting a view on a subject is vastly different than posting an outrageous claim that is unbelievable, and then claiming everyone that doesn't believe you is just not enlightened or that they suffer from any number of other afflictions such as addiction to food, and that is the reason they can't "see" the truth.

The Gray area is for things like UFO sightings that may or may not be true, or a place to vet out photographs and see if they are credible, or a place to discuss paranormal experiences. It is not a place to air your schizophrenic tendencies and seek out free healthcare! There has to be a limit, and I applaud the Mods for being very patient in letting those limits establish themselves. I would use my axe for some of these silly azz threads much more quickly if I had the authority!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I didn't mention the Gray Area did I?
Read the Alien/UFO forum.
Then read the HOAX forum. Really, look at the HOAX forum!
How much deliberate misinformation has been posted?
Why is that OK?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I have had a lifelong interest in astronomy, science in general, science fiction, AND the subject of UFO's.
I'm nearly 60 years old.
What I see here is akin to people speculating if babies are delivered by storks.
Part of the dumbing down of America. Sorry, but everyone's opinion on everything is not equal.New Age mumbo jumbo doesn't answer any of the cosmic questions, it just makes people feel better, the false "knowing" is comforting, but not enlightening.
Ethusiastic voluntary and willfull ignorance SHOULD be appalling to thinking people.
That's one trend I cannot follow, no matter how in vouge.
Are we denying ignorance, or embracing and glorifying it?

I too love Astronomy especially since the advent of Hubble - For the sake of discussion and so as to not throw out the baby with the bath water - Is it not true that 90 per cent of the Universe is unknon and many theorys abound around this - all of which can not be true - Yes discussion and debate is a fine thing but not all knowledge comes through science. Yes for sur people are dumbed down but that is mostly by the state or religion that teach theory as fact. I agree in that I feel a lot of so called New Age stuff is rehashed mumbo jumbo.
Sometimes I feel we need to agree to disagree

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I didn't mention the Gray Area did I?
Read the Alien/UFO forum.
Then read the HOAX forum. Really, look at the HOAX forum!
How much deliberate misinformation has been posted?
Why is that OK?

I never understood why the HOAX threads are not closed immediately upon being determined a hoax...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

There is also a 'Space Exploration' forum for that kind of thing.

UFOs and Aliens are a completely different kettle of fish.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I have to say that I do agree with you. Certainly, people are allowed to pick a specific incident or phenomena and state a conclusory statement regarding it. however, i am seeing an awful lot of conjecture and total speculation. one specific incident regarding a ufo does not equate to connections to other specific incidents. one person's dream about a red car has nothing to do with another person's dream of a red car.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join