It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unlucky or Match Fixing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Now I'm sure all the English here would have watched the game last night and seen the terrible decisions made by the ref not to mention the state of the penalty spot.
Now i don't want to sound like a bad loser so i'll admit Portugal played a better game than us (after rooney came off that is) and deserved to win. None the less i still think there was something fishy about that game, so i thought i'd start this thread.

Does any body have any evidence/theories/opinions on the state of football in the UK and the corruption which blatantly follows where ever big moneys involved?

Imo a footy match is very hard to fix, how ever when you consider the amount of money involved in the premiership today it shouldn't be to hard to say "buy" a couple of players for that match. In other words "Heres a few million quid, now play like a pansy!" At first i thought this would be dangerous because whose to say that player isn't going to turn Nike or whoever down and go to the press (a player in the perm already earns around �20k - �30k PW). But perhaps its such common practice that its one of those things you just wouldn't say anything about like what happens in the changing room for example.

I'm pretty sure theres corruption and bribes going here and ther as in all sports, all I'd like to know is how far it goes.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think this was the problem...

Seriously though, I think it was just a case of incompetence and home fan apeasement on the part of the referee. You get this all the time in domestic games, but at this level you'd really expect a higher calibre of ref.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Maybe it was the cheesy Beckham voodoo doll.

What's the dog doing there? Is it normal for referees to have a dog with them during a game?

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
That's his guide dog. Since the introduction of European legislation aimed to reduce discrimination in the workforce, there have been a number of visually impaired referees used in this years championship....

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Have you ever heard the saying: "That's why they play the game"? How about the US Olympic hockey team in 1980? Or, the 2004 Detroit Pitons. It is nothing to do with luck or match fixing. It has everything to do with beng outplayed and Portugal wanted to win more than the Brits, nuff said.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wayhay

England where doing ok till rooney went off but in fairness Portugal are more silky and more flair and played with 4 attackers at times and england played with what looked like 8 defenders lol. i favour the attacking team.

talking about dodgy stuff going on in football look at chelseas roman abromaivch (sp?). a billinaire in england and from what i have heard there wasnt the proper conduct shown when he was allowed in..something about a look into his background etc.

my money is on france so i hope they win lol

rynaldo

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
One missed penalty kick doen't equate to lack of determination. I think the game was pretty equal. We were unlucky to have the match winning goal disallowed, but these things happen in football. You just have to grin and bear it sometimes...

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
hey paul, i like the pic did you edit it yourself?

I've always thought there was something dishonest about Abramovich, to make as much money as he has in Russia is extraordinary. I'd like to think he made it honestly but he reminds me to much of a Bond villain and i wouldn't trust him with my change.

Link

"MOSCOW - Russian general audit office has accused Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich of driving the region of Chukotka to bankruptcy through financial machinations and gross mismanagement. An audit chamber official told The Russia Journal that the region has been bankrupted through �ruthless milking, various financial schemes and gross financial mismanagement over the past 2-3 years by its elected administration."

rynaldo82 i hope you didnt get to the bookies in time. Check Republic to win

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Orias]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Who cares at the End of the day Yes we England went out, but then so did the French, Italy Spain and the Germans failed to make it out the group stage its not like we were the only big team not performing..

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Heres o few links on that ref>

www.sky.com...

Swiss ref Urs Meier has reportedly apologised to England coach Sven Goran Eriksson for disallowing a goal in the game against Portugal.

AND> looks like his website got so much hate mail they closed it down

www.sky.com...

The website belonging to England's most hated man, Swiss ref Urs Meier, has been shut down after being bombarded with 30,000 hits.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Im still do not want to talk about that match, everyone in the pub couldn't believe what happened, i still cannot see how it was a foul of the keeper. If you look, the keeper jumps into John Terry, so a foul by John Terry is ruled out. The linesman never flag, so the ref screwed up big time!

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"Who cares at the End of the day Yes we England went out, but then so did the French, Italy Spain and the Germans failed to make it out the group stage its not like we were the only big team not performing."

I realize that and like i said earlier Portugal played a better game but its the way that England went out, we should have won.

The ref's girlfriend, 37-year-old Nicole Petignat, said Becks had not played well enough to lead England into the semi-finals and should not have taken the first spot kick after extra time.

While i agrea that Beckham didnt play his best if you watch that penalty in slow mo you can see that the ball rolls forward just before he strikes it. Damn that Yuri Gellar!

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Orias]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The website belonging to England's most hated man, Swiss ref Urs Meier, has been shut down after being bombarded with 30,000 hits.

Wow...you must have been busy lodging all those complaints asala

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There should be a way to appeal against decisions like that. Still, England wouldn't have had Rooney if they went through.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

There should be a way to appeal against decisions like that. Still, England wouldn't have had Rooney if they went through.

Thats why they should have a second referee (as in have some one look at each incident in detail/slow mo)in football, It would have been sorted out straight away. i cant understand it rugby, cricket and a bunch of other sports have it why cant soccer? Perhaps it'll make it harder fix matches, who knows?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Urs Meier was advised to go into hiding and is under police protection after receiving 16000 emails some of which contained death threats.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Personally I think England was subject to discrimination. We were robbed.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The ref bottled it the only reason i can see him giving that as a foul was the fact that Sol campbell had to nearly kill john terry to get on it.

Ive said for ages that football is fixed only as a joke like but the more i watch it the more convincing it is

I was sure we were going to win it i woke the next day thinking it was a dream.

In my opion we need a keeper who is more desisive than james his a good shot stopper but sum of his desicion makin for cross's is outragous & wen it comes to defence of free kicks are whole squad needs sumit sorting.

A video replay would of sorted it out but know one seems to belive in them saying it would spoil the game but the game is such big money now you cant have fools like that makin desisions on his own linesmen are just as incompetant. The whole game england were called up for nuthing fouls are lads couldnt get near there opposition for fear of the ref blowing a foul.

Im starting to worry that i will never see the england football team lift a major trophy

Also Sven needs to sort his life out stop playing unfit players etc how Shaun wright philps & james defoe never got in the squad is unbelivable they would of torn the portugese to bits.

Overall though england had a lousy game & i cant belive the cheekyness of ricardo taking the last penalty which in my opion was the best taken pen of the whole night!!

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Everlasting England]

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Everlasting England]

join