It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of Mass Honeybee Die-Off Found by team of Army and Entomologists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Devastating.
I am glad they believe they have found the cause.
The implications of losing the bees are deadly, enormous, and planet altering.
Life will never be the same if they do not begin to reverse this trend.

Wonder if that is the way we will go?...I always predicted radioactive fallout but maybe it will be a 1 2 punch of a virus and a fungus?
Possible.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This story is much more important than any of the Global Warming nonsense we've heard over the last several years.
These guys deserve several Nobel prizes over the next few years.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yes..you are probably right....I've seen a docu about ants and there was an ant infected with a parasite and it showed how this ant went away from the ant community to die alone. The conclusion of the scientist was that the ant did this to protect the community from contamination.

Animals are smarter than most of us think and it has not always to do with the volume or mass of the brain.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well, now that we know the cause, the challenge is to implement a cure. Knowing is half the battle. At least, it's the first half. This, does, however, provide HOPE. It's encouraging.

But, do TPTB (The Powers That *BEE*) --couldn't resist the pun, do TPTB **want** bees to make a comeback? Personally, for people who want to reduce the population, creating a global famine would be a simple, yet horrific, way to accomplish this. Of course, wealthy, well-to-do countries could afford to protect their honeybees.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Thanks for the information, this to me is not a suprise, especially when you take into account other animal populations that are also being hit with Fungal issues. Amphibians (sorry Frogs), and Bats are in trouble, is it a coincidence that they also prey on insects? many of them pollinators?

In our attempt to mold nature to our liking we are finding that our actions have bad effects that reach farther then we could imagine.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
NaturalNews has been following this story for years
article form 2007 here

The Newest article they posted about this just today actully talks about how the fungal/virus might just be a symptom of a much bigger problem. check out this link
Mike Adams the editor of natural news will do a better job of explianing it then i can. He also post other articles that have info about studys that look at some of the environmental influences.

Its funny how both abovetopsecret.com and naturalnews.com ends up having articles on the same subjects alot(well at least when it comes the health and nature).

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've got an old stone house in a town named Villalobar in the province of la Rioja in Spain. Our town has two bee keeping families and many hives, every may like clockwork those hives produce queens and those queens have an obsession with my house. They find a new nook or cranny every year. It gave me a way to observe directly this strange die off. 4 years ago for the first time no queens appeared, 3 years ago same thing, but they've definitely made a come back around here over the last 2 years. The beekeepers in town are talking about the die off in past tense, it's good to know they finally have a viable theory for the cause. A lot of people around here seemed to think it could be electromagnetic interference from the growing cellphone network. I prefer this explanation. Another victory for the guys with the microscopes.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is not good. If they figure out what is causing the problem in this crisis they will somehow do something that will make matters worse for the bee population!!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

If it's just affecting honey bees, there are still other insects that can pick up the slack. Yellow Jackets for instance, and a few other species of insect also pollinate plants.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
reply to post by Frogs

If it's just affecting honey bees, there are still other insects that can pick up the slack. Yellow Jackets for instance, and a few other species of insect also pollinate plants.

...for now. Like someone else posted: bats and ants too are suffering from strange fungal infections. What next?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

They are constantly giving new reasons for a problem they dont fully understand. But some sort of virus/fungus seems the obvious liklihood.

I just want to add: people often talk about how important honeybees are for food production when they speak on this issue of Colony collapse disorder, but the reality is that numerous insects contribute to pollination, from ants to wasps to wood bees to flies. The reason colony collapse disorder is effecting the food industry is because so many crops are grown in large, monoculture settings that discourage a natural array of pollinators. So they have to truck in semi-trailer loads of bee hives to pollinate entire fields of commercial food crops. And bees that are raised by these beekeepers (if they can be called that) who raises hundreds or even thousands of hives are even more suseptable to CCD than a smaller small-time bee keeper because they are less healthy and disease spreads faster.

On a small farm, you will see proper pollination of crops from the various critters that exist in a healthy ecosystem, certainly including a few bee hives, but absolutely not limited to only honeybees by any degree.

This isnt to say the CCD is a serious thing, and that it wont have effects on the food we eat. But it is meant to put some of the facts about bees and pollination in perspective.\

\www.springerlink.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Einstein theorised that humankind would die after a few decades after bees.

The death of many honey bees has puzzled scientists for many years and I hope that this has now been solved 100%

If so we have a chance of evolving.

I just hope TPTB do not hide this information from the masses like they did with the electric car and with Tesla

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I have a colleague who once mentioned using nanobots to pollinate crops if it ever came to that. It's definitely a possible solution, if the circumstances ever arises. I personally would rather have the bees, but to keep life on earth going, this seems like it could be a viable solution.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
TPTB are bullcraping us a recent study in Kerala India revealed that cellphone towers interfere with worker bees navigation capabilities when a tower was placed near a bee colony it collapsed in ten days.The scientist concerned said bees may only have ten years left on the planet.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
TPTB are bullcraping us a recent study in Kerala India revealed that cellphone towers interfere with worker bees navigation capabilities when a tower was placed near a bee colony it collapsed in ten days.The scientist concerned said bees may only have ten years left on the planet.

so, you what makes you think one story is true and the other is 'tptb'?

I'd love to see a link to the 'evidence' you are referring to.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

I am sorry I dont know how to post a link google 'cellphone towers collapse bee colonys"

What do you think TPTB would rather forgoe the planetwide cellular GWEN network with its ultimate purpose of planet wide mood modification and mind control or bees?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

i see. so what you call irrefutable evidence is really just someone elses opinion, and you disregard the information in the OP not based on a careful critique of the facts, but because you have decided that cell phones are killing honeybees and no one is going to prove you wrong because anyone who tries to prove you wrong is 'tptb'.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

No its not opinion it was a scientific study in India with scientists doing the study,yes there could be fungus's and other problems as per the OP's post but nothing that threatens the entire species like the scientists found with microwave phone towers,as for my other comments i'll let the 747 pass over your head.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix

No its not opinion it was a scientific study in India with scientists doing the study,yes there could be fungus's and other problems as per the OP's post but nothing that threatens the entire species like the scientists found with microwave phone towers,as for my other comments i'll let the 747 pass over your head.

a scientific study with scientists doing the study?

Oh, My apologies. And here I thought you were just making a vague reference to something you know little about

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join