It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of Mass Honeybee Die-Off Found by team of Army and Entomologists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pattiesimmons

Now That may really be the case. For real. Which would be shocking. As this would be and act of COMPLETE
Stupidity on the part of Genetic Engineers, or potentially a Serious Crime Against Humanity.

Don't believe what the "Army" has to say. They are masters at confusion. Its their job. They do it well.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Good topic, Frog. Star & flag for you. I'm glad people here are concerned. Looks like the mystery may be solved.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychNurse
reply to post by wayno

There is no documented direct link to microwaves in the home causing cancer, altering DNA. If you have such a link I would love to see it.

Sorry to not have been clearer. Soft plastics when heated in a microwave give off chemicals that resemble female hormones and have been associated with higher rates of breast cancer and possibly others. Its not the microwave itself, it is the plastic that gives off cancer causing chemicals when heated.

The point that I am getting at is that some of these dangerous products could be introduced intentionally to the marketplace to "soften us up" for a bug that is later to follow.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Hold that thought!

Cell Towers, EMF, Microwaves, Ultraviolet Radiation,and the like have not yet been ruled out as far as I can
see.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. "The Great and Powerful Oz" has spoken.

If you catch my drift.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

This article makes me think of Cordyceps, the fungus that infects and takes over the brain of the ant. It causes the ant to climb up high to die so that the fungus can grow again and release spores to infect more ants.

Could this fungus/virus cause the ants to fly away from their home hive so that it can release more fungus in the air in a new location that would increase the likely hood that another new colony of ants is infected?

It will be interesting to find out more to this issue.

Cordyceps

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm glad progress is being made here.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
lies and bull****! the reason the bee's are dying is CELL PHONES.

...that and their unfortunate run-in with GMO crops.

This popped into my mind one day: Any time you change part of a complex system, you naturally risk unforeseen side effects (positive and negative.) For example, when I used to troubleshoot computer issues, I'd document exactly the changes I made in case I inadvertently created a new/worse problem and needed to undo changes. Unfortunately, there is no "Undo" when we modify nature... So I ask: if 'pest A' is evicted from its natural place in an ecosystem--via genetic modification of a plant species-- could this not create a bigger problem? Could it, for example, open a door for a dangerous 'pest B' to propagate and flourish? In other words, suppose 'pest A' that they got rid of previously kept something worse ('pest B') at bay -- through some long-standing dominance in terms of common food sources, or due to some other conflict of interest that limited/prevented co-existence of the two organisms.

I guess I just believe so strongly that Mother (Nature) Knows Best, and Monsanto is playing a dangerous game with our fragile, precious, loving home. OUR home (all life forms included!) Monsanto has, and continues to, upset the balance. (Not to mention... I believe plant modification is akin to fast-forward evolution for a tiny portion of the planet, leaving the rest of life to evolve naturally, until encounting GMO, which creates a state of shock with a ripple effect that builds to this day because Mama Earth can't keep up with this onslaught. ) Considering the interconnectedness of all forms of life, it just seems logical that all are designed to evolve together. Quit messing with the design, Monsanto. Who do you think you are? Cripes-- no one died and made you God!!!

Sorry for the rant. Really. I just feel it so strongly.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This explains a lot.
Where i live the bees are just fine even though we have cell phones.

What is different is i live in the desert.
Viruses and bacteria have trouble surviving in the heat of the desert
When you have exposed surfaces reaching 130 to 150º in the sun they die.
I have a hive in a tree that is on the property line between me and my neighbor
Its been there for years and swarms every year.
Next year i plan to try to trap a swarm for my use.

None of the local beekeeper have had any problem with CCD unless they take there hives out of the area.

We also don't have any GMO crops here that may affect the immune system of the bees and cause these Viruses and bacteria to be more of a danger to bees.

And the navy research base at china lake is right next door.
edit on 7-10-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
reply to post by Aeons

I have everything I need to get started except the Bee's, which I will order soon. I am having difficulty choosing a
Supplier. The most durable appear to be possibly "Africanized." Unfortunately, they are hostile as well.

A relative of mine has been a beekeeper 'forever' and has NEVER inoculated his bees against anything (doesn't believe in it.) He had minor issues some years back with bees disappearing, when the colony colapse issue was coming to the forefront. Now the count is back up, and they're just as hardy as they ought to be. I really don't want to post any identifiable info on him or me, but if you'd like info, we'll figure something out. He's never mentioned being a "supplier" before, but he is passionate about bees, and shares info on keeping them healthy in natural ways. (Also, beezwax candles, honey, and 'beauty products' they give me for Xmas are simply awesome!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
This explains a lot.
Where i live the bees are just fine even though we have cell phones.

What is different is i live in the desert.
Viruses and bacteria have trouble surviving in the heat of the desert
When you have exposed surfaces reaching 130 to 150º in the sun they die.
I have a hive in a tree that is on the property line between me and my neighbor
Its been there for years and swarms every year.
Next year i plan to try to trap a swarm for my use.

None of the local beekeeper have had any problem with CCD unless they take there hives out of the area.

That's some good information there! Food for thought.
Nother line.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well that's good it's snot cell phones, I feel better already.
They only need to cure one to save the bees, that is good also.
Plus they have those, black Bee's in I think in UK to fall back on if they have to, I thought they might of already had to, maybe some have.
Those black Bee's are more hearty a Strain, breed, of Bee, but they do not make as much honey, which is why they were not chosen to begin with.
What about those African's Bee's they make more honey, I think that's why they were messing with them to begin with they wanted more honey, and wanted to cross them with the domestic Honey Bee, I don't think it worked right.
By the way how are the African Bee's holding up to this death problem, anyone know, are they immune?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this information.

I've been wondering about the bees for a long time. Glad to see us making progress.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Correlation but not causation I'm afraid in this case.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Interesting reply. With all due respect, I don't believe that you can make such sweeping and confident
analysis. Are you a biologist in some shape or form? Maybe even plant physiology or entomology?
Your claims are vague and unsubstantiated. Please Specify.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
On top of the obvious issues with the loss of bees, one of my saddest experiences was to hold a dying bee.

My folks kept bee's for years before I was born and many afterward.

The little bee wanted to fly but just couldnt go.

Believe it or not, European (Italian) bee's really arent very aggressive if you handle them gently. I've played with bees (relocating them ect.) several times and never been "bit".

With all the crap we eat (I see bees in nasty places) they feed off of our food at times. Makes you wonder.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Hello ANNED , Here is a link to a locality not far from you. By the way, pollen can travel globally.
www.bakersfield.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
you have to excuse my ignorance as I do not know much about how US Universities work

But this was in the first link
"Members of a joint United States Army-University of Montana research team that located a virus that is possibly collapsing honeybee colonies"

Why would the United states army be involved?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

My friend said some people have been injected, when they get injected they go away from their colony, hence their family, their homes, and live in the streets, and become passive, and die alone.

It is experiments.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It is just so fortunate that Australian native Bees are totally imune to both the Virus and Fungus..

This could solve the problem in the future if things get worse..

In fact, I believe that the US has started importing AU Bees in recent times..

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
As scary as it is, most bee colonies are not native to the North America. Now what was used exactly before these bees were hiked in for farming purposes?

Native bees.
The imported bees may have wiped them out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join