It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of Mass Honeybee Die-Off Found by team of Army and Entomologists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The ongoing honeybee colony collapse has been a topic of threads and cause of concern here on ATS for sometime.

Some 40% of the bee colonies in the US alone have collapsed and died since 2006 and science had not been able to pin-point a cause.

How serious is this? Remember the birds and the bees? The bees pollinate many of the crops we eat and plants we rely on. If the bees are gone that could mean vastly reduced crops and that could me starvation and that could mean a global crisis - and that leads to government involvement.

Thankfully, this blend of military and private sector scientists may have cracked the puzzle. It is not one thing - but a combination of a virus and a fungus acting together.

Scientists and Soldiers Solve a Bee Mystery

Dr. Bromenshenk’s team at the University of Montana and Montana State University in Bozeman, working with the Army’s Edgewood Chemical Biological Center northeast of Baltimore, said in their jointly written paper that the virus-fungus one-two punch was found in every killed colony the group studied. Neither agent alone seems able to devastate; together, the research suggests, they are 100 percent fatal.

“It’s chicken and egg in a sense — we don’t know which came first,” Dr. Bromenshenk said of the virus-fungus combo — nor is it clear, he added, whether one malady weakens the bees enough to be finished off by the second, or whether they somehow compound the other’s destructive power.

Also, it is not clear what about this combo makes the bees fly away from the colony to die alone. However, the fact that this happens made finding the killer that much more difficult.

Their paper is available online at the link below ---

Iridovirus and Microsporidian Linked to Honey Bee Colony Decline
edit on 7-10-2010 by Frogs because: Quote got messed up.

Mod edit: From the Terms & Conditions:Proper Attribution for the posting of copyrighted material owned by others is defined as posting a relevant snippet of the online content not to exceed 10% of the entire piece, a properly formed link back to the source website, and a clear indication of the name of the source website
edit on 7/10/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Star and Flag!

Lets hope they are on to something here.

Also, it is not clear what about this combo makes the bees fly away from the colony to die alone.

Anytime I am ill I get a little disorientated, maybe it's just as simple as the bee's navigation doesn't work as well when they are infected with something.

BTW loves your name and pic combo

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Star and Flag! I have been bothered by the bee situation for a while. I hope that they can save some colonies now.

I have too warn you though, this story was covered by FOX News, so the story will have no validity for half the people on this site,

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing this article to our attention.

Maybe the bee goes off alone to die in a last vestige of colony preservation, as to not infect the whole hive.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Star and Flag for you!!! Thank you for passing along the information. The Honey Bees or lack thereof, have been a major concern here in my neck of the woods.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thanks for posting.
Do you know if there are any known remedies for this?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Wow! I wonder what it really is? This past June scientists were saying it's the radiation from cell phones that is causing bee colonies to collapse.

What's going on here? Another cover-up? Here are some links to articles that talk about cell phone radiation being the cause.

Yahoo News

Colony Collapse Disorder Recent Studies

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
so an Army’s Chemical Biological Center is involved in this study

The Army itself is actually very responsible for killing off bees and it has everything to do with Chemical weapons and Biological Weapons TESTING. Aerosol Operations and DEW's play a huge role in bee deaths as well. also dont forget the Radio Spectrum.

I say this because I am near a testing area and I also have sick bees right in my backyard.
I see a direct correlation between dying bees and the US Military agenda.
edit on 7-10-2010 by invisiblevisible because: mispell

edit on 7-10-2010 by invisiblevisible because: mispell x2

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Entirely possible that the army figured it out because they were party to introducing the threat combo.

It is also entirely possible, I should think, that something like this could attack humans as well. I am sure they have toyed with the idea. It doesn't have to be limited to two biological components. The side effects of industry, technology or medications could also make us more susceptible to germs, viruses and other biological threats. Plastics + microwave ovens = cancer, for example.

Now that they've gotten this far I wonder what the next step is? How do you eradicate the two co-factors from the environment now that they are out there?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Illegal Alien

No known cure for the combo as of yet. However, the article indicates they hope to find success in tackling 1/2 the cause.

Neither the virus or the fungus appear to be fatal if they act alone. Acting together they seem to be 100% deadly to the bees.

Viruses are notoriously hard to combat - and this one is a newly discovered DNA based one that may make fighting it that much more tricky.

However, the fungus involved is controllable with anti-fungal agents. For now, this provides the best hope of stopping the collapse in the least amount of time. If the fungus can be controlled then that takes away 1/2 of the two punch combo that is killing the bees.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

There is no documented direct link to microwaves in the home causing cancer, altering DNA. If you have such a link I would love to see it.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
lies and bull****! the reason the bee's are dying is CELL PHONES.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
As scary as it is, most bee colonies are not native to the North America. Now what was used exactly before these bees were hiked in for farming purposes?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
this kind testing is 1 example I offer
www.youtube.com...

"hi grandma! we did a bunch of tight circles at low altitude before we finally landed,
it seemed like the engines were smoking too. you have a very strange airport in your town grandma"
edit on 7-10-2010 by invisiblevisible because: video

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Guys, this stuff has been going on for years. Remember that site nanotransformations?? The government is spraying us with fungi, viruses, & whatever else. For what reasons, I haven't a clue. A friend of mine suggested that since this seemed to start shortly after 9/11, then it could have been involuntary inoculation from potential biochemical warfare. This could be the case.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
unityemissions,

it has been going on for decades but that does not make it any less serious of an
issue. is that what you are implying?

For what reasons, I haven't a clue.

Here is your clue

HISTORY OF BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS: FROM POISONED DARTS TO INTENTIONAL EPIDEMICS

field tests as studies on possible methods of covert attack to examine aerosolization methods, the behavior of aerosols over large geographic areas, and the infectivity and rates of decay of aerosolized microbes subjected to solar irradiation and climatic conditions.

Most tests used simulants thought to be nonpathogenic, including Bacillus globigii, Serratia marcescens, and particulates of zinc cadmium sulfide.32,34 In conjunction with the US Department of Agriculture, several open-air tests were conducted using anticrop agents at sites selected for safety.34,16 Open-air releases of human pathogens (Coxiella burnetii, Francisella [Pasturella] tularensis)

edit on 7-10-2010 by invisiblevisible because: additional comment

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 7/10/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblevisible

Yes, biologicals and chemicals have been dispersed on select civilian populations by various governments for decades; however, the way it was done in the past and what we're seeing now are not the same.

In the past, it was a single experiment at a time done somewhat controlled over a select population which was never larger than a city. Now, it's pretty much nationwide and ongoing, and we don't know for sure that the intention is hostile.
edit on 7-10-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

we don't know for sure that the intention is hostile.

speak for yourself only please. thank you.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblevisible

Don't be a hypocrite now...

Are you doing the same?

You have NO PROOF WHATSOEVER that the intentions are hostile.

In fact, there is a bunch of common sense which points otherwise.

edit on 7-10-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Sad such real good news is sullied by conspiracy theorists.
To the person living by a military testing area, there are millions of bees that have been affected, not just the ones close to military sites.
To the person/people saying it's caused by the military, it's used against people and all the other assumptions, prove it. Show one valid test. Note the word "valid".
And until someone finds a colony of bees actively using cell phones, I'm calling that guess just to darned silly to even consider.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join