It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yoga is bad for Christians?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
First,

I just want to say that I don't really call myself a Christian these days, but I do yoga and enjoy it very much. It is actually one of the more physically demanding exercises I've done and I ALWAYS feel better afterwards for multiple reasons. That's why when I read the below story I thought I'd post it here (and no I don't read Fox News, it was linked on Yahoo
). I didn't see any other threads on this so if there are, please remove.

www.foxnews.com...

This seems to be another idea that is misunderstood by the Religious community and therefore is deemed unchristian and wrong. 'I don't get why they do it so let's label it as unchristian or satanic and alienate anyone who disagrees!' When they put out statements like this, I think it does more harm than good. To me, it shows the closed mindedness of religion and reinforces my reasons for staying away. Personally, I think it should be taught as a form of exercise for everyone to use.

What does ATS think? Will I go to Hell for doing the downward dog or just have more limber muscles?

- Dredge

CX

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yoga is enjoyed by people throughout the world no matter what their religion, i don't think a persons beliefs should come into it at all.

It is beneficial to a persons body and mind, they should just leave it at that.

CX.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That's ridiculous. People tend to fear what they don't understand. Especially, this uneducated minister that obviously does not understand yoga and therefore views it as a threat.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Jesus was a yogi.
Yoga is more than just some physical exercises - it's a philosophy that strives to control and harmonize spirit, body and mind to reach unity with the concept 'God'.

This narrow minded baptist leader holds some strange ideas. Then again, he would say the same about me.

CX

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Movhisattva
Jesus was a yogi.

Never heard that one before.....where did you hear that?

CX.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Glad to be a Pagan, I enjoy yoga. Who doesn't? Ah well, differences make the world go around, and if he prefers this train of thought, who cares? At he least he's not denying people health care because sickness is a test of faith or other such nonsense.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Not per se literally, but Eastern philosophy accepts that Jesus' teachings are the teachings of a yogi master. In essence the message is the same.
Some claim Jesus visited India in his time.

Paramahansa Yogananda wrote about it in autobiography of a yogi, he also published The yoga of Jesus.
This comparison was made here as well: Jesus thaught Bhakti yoga

By studying the teachings that are ascribed to Jesus, we can easily recognize that the essence of what Jesus taught was an elementary level of the Vedic process of bhakti-yoga and karma-yoga. Both of these systems are much more deeply developed and elaborated in the Vedic texts, and more fully explained by many of India’s acharyas or spiritual masters.

...For example, Jesus taught that everyone should love God with their whole heart and mind, which is the quintessence of bhakti-yoga. Bhakti means devotion and surrender to God. As stated in Matthew (22.36-40): “Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? He answered, Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind. That is the greatest commandment. It comes first.

The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. Everything in the Law and the prophets hangs on these two commandments.” These two rules are the heart of the processes of bhakti and karma-yoga.

Baird T. Spalding made equal claims in his Life and teachings of the Masters of the far East.
In Dutch the book came with this cover:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I will make a humble aproach on this topic. First of all, if you practice yoga in the means that you try to control your breath with methods as pranayam. If you do exercises and meditate, there should be no contradiction with your religion. But here does the sience of yoga not end.

There are yoga technices that apply to how do we think like:

-(Karma-yoga) offering our actions to the supreme Godhead free from greed and without wanting to enjoy the results of our work.

"This should also not interfere with your religion aslong you offer your work to Jahwe or Jesus"

-(Jñāna-yoga) You offer knowdledge in sacrifice and you try to live and renounce worldly activities.

"This would interfere because it is meant to attain transendental knowdlege of the Supreme and Christians do have a tradition who dosent want god-images. Part of this process is to know the forms and pastimes of the Supreme Godhead"

-(Bhakti-yoga) You begin to make devotional service to the Supreme Godhead.

"From my point of view. You as Christian by going to church regularly are you already doing parts of this because you firmly belive that you pray and do service to the only God. So the destination of your efforts would be the same"

If you still wish to practice yoga I wish you the best results. If you dont want to go on I wish you also only the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Christianity is not only complementary to Yoga, Christianity originates from certain branches of Yoga. In most circles, this is still a well-kept secret.
edit on 7-10-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Jesus meditated daily. Sigh.
Yoga is a wonderful stress relief and great for muscular pain. How can something like that be bad for anyone?

People who twist a misunderstanding of yoga like these kinds of fundamentalist Christians do are why people hate Christians and misunderstand Christians... And misunderstand practictioners of yoga, apparently. And Christian practitioners of yoga.... and non-Christian practitioners of yoga... and athiest practitioners of yoga... I mean, who cares? It's yoga. Why attach a religion to it?
Sigh.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The pastor is correct of course. Yoga is innately a religious practice, derived from paganism. If you actually believed in Jesus and his words, then you'd accept the Bible. The Bible would identify any pagan practice as inhabited by demons. Hence by practicing it you are opening yourself up to demonic influence.

However there are very few real christians left in the west, as is well documented by recent Barna polls. This particular situation, which is obvious to any born again christian appears to be completely baffling to the pseudo-christian.

In fact Hindus who practice Yoga are shocked at pseudo-christians who think they can practice yoga and be a christian. Even they know the two are incompatible.

www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com...

If you claim to be a christian and are practicing yoga I suggest you look a little deeper. Why not first start by reading the new testament from cover to cover. It will change your life. But seriously if you can't even accept the New Testament as the word of god, please don't pretend to be a christian. Just be honest with yourself and admit that you don't really believe in the Bible and that you wish to follow a Jesus of your own making. Paul the apostle calls this "another Jesus".

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
From my own experience and investigation, I think that much of what Jesus taught was actually based at its core on basic ideas from the eastern traditions which originated Yoga. I think that he tried to bring this knowledge back to his native land, but cultural differences and political motives got in the way.

Even if he never traveled to India, and never studied the eastern traditions closer to home, I think it's pretty well accepted at least among many Buddhists in particular, that Jesus was a Buddha but perhaps didn't know to think of it in those terms.

Anyway, it's all opinion and conjecture, but I honestly think that enlightenment is the root of many religions and other spiritual methodologies. From what I recall, the Buddha even said that everyone walks the path in their own way, that no one way of teaching the path is suitable for everyone.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dredge

Great,

Keep on enjoying your yoga in the certain knowledge that Jesus would want you to enjoy it!

Honestly! I am sure Jesus only wants people to enjoy themselves, within reason.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The only bad thing for christians is other christians and everyone else in the known universe.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Yoga is not just exercise it is a spiritual path of personal growth,development and awareness so of course the Religious right and the fundies are going to label it demonic because people taking responsibility for their own spiritual development is diametrically opposed to their modus operandi.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Ok, Jesus loves it.

Also, if you do not like Jesus, love it anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Orthodox church refuses yoga
www.orthodoxphotos.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I've heard this too many times... "Kung Fu is evil", "Science is evil", "Yoga is evil, or not 'good'.."
I'm starting to loose my respect for Christianity in general, because they do not hold the same respect for others as they demand from them.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dredge

Do yoga and love it.

All that other crap is stupid.

Just do it, in the face of idiots.

But I wish you would get back to Jesus, because He is not judgemental, especially not about yoga!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It's just another bad publicity on a religion by the MSM. It worked before so it will work again.

Seems like TPTB wants everyone to be non-religious lately.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join