It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is... There Life After Death ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
reply to post by artistpoet

Hi, and thanks for your account of your experiences.

I can really relate to what you wrote, as I have had many similar experiences myself.

So I'm not alone in my craziness

Now to go back to the original OP.....

I do have a problem with the term 'LIFE after death though', and it's because I see 'Life' as our experience when in the physical body, but after death I believe we are still sentient, but not 'Alive' in that sense of the word until we are reborn into a new body.

I do see that this could be a problem with terminology, but in order to be properly understood, I feel it's important.

It's for this reason I always find it difficult to answer these kind of threads, for fear of sounding like some kind of poncey linguistic fascist.

Oh well.
Such is life.

Sometimes words are clumbsy in that there are many ways to interprete them But your brief description of life after death gave me mental picture of what you are describing. Sort of like "It's like it's life but not life as we know it Kirk" Yes I feel often it like a reversal of sorts inthat this life is illusory and we tend to interpret it through our limited senses yet our Death is a release and letting go of this illusion and an awakening from this dream
Hope I am making sense

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I know exactly what you mean about the reversal thing.

I like to think of it in terms of a type of Yin Yang type thing.
Like, here we have life, but on the other side we have 'not life'.
But I can see that everything is alive in a sense, so I just tend to disappear up my own backside if I try to get too wordy about it in the end.

When you mentioned the stars, did you perceive them as consciousnesses or just stars being stars?

I ask because I met them as concentrations of consciousness with which I could communicate and interact with.

Like you said, it didn't involve words as such, more of a 'knowing', as I suppose this would be understandable as everything and everyone was 'one', so there would be no reason for any failure to comprehend what was being communicated.
This contrasts nicely with the apparent seperateness we experience in our physical bodies.

Another thing I noticed was that all communications appeared to be pre emptive, so in a way there was no need to make an effort, as all communication was achieved by the simple desire to do so.

I also have tried to paint the environment in which I found myself, but like you have fallen way short of what I actually 'saw'.

Apologies for all the quotation marks, but words are so difficult to use when writing about a subject which words can only fail to describe adequately.

Thanks for the quick response.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien

I know exactly what you mean about the reversal thing.

I like to think of it in terms of a type of Yin Yang type thing.
Like, here we have life, but on the other side we have 'not life'.
But I can see that everything is alive in a sense, so I just tend to disappear up my own backside if I try to get too wordy about it in the end.

When you mentioned the stars, did you perceive them as consciousnesses or just stars being stars?

I ask because I met them as concentrations of consciousness with which I could communicate and interact with.

Like you said, it didn't involve words as such, more of a 'knowing', as I suppose this would be understandable as everything and everyone was 'one', so there would be no reason for any failure to comprehend what was being communicated.
This contrasts nicely with the apparent seperateness we experience in our physical bodies.

Another thing I noticed was that all communications appeared to be pre emptive, so in a way there was no need to make an effort, as all communication was achieved by the simple desire to do so.

I also have tried to paint the environment in which I found myself, but like you have fallen way short of what I actually 'saw'.

Apologies for all the quotation marks, but words are so difficult to use when writing about a subject which words can only fail to describe adequately.

Thanks for the quick response.

Wow you put that in a way I can relate to and if I replied to each point I wouldmereley say the same thing with different words.
You did pose a question of how I perceived the stars then sort of answered it yourself - Yes in a way the stars and indeed the whole Universe was alive - Yes I perceive a star such as our Sun being the concentration of what we are - in a way it is what formed us or what we are formed from and also the Sun is formed from other stars.
However The way we view stars from Earth is kind of the opposite to how I saw them in my dreams in that they were a reflection from another source of light for want of a better word. It was as though I was looking from the other side of the stars so to speak - I know that sounds weird and impossible but that is how I saw them though stars themselves were not distict just the overall shape of the Universe - Sort of like as if you were viewing a cone from above and the Universe was its base - As for communication yes pre emtive is how I would describe it in that as things occured they were understood and responded to without the intellect getting in the way - There were no questions it just was.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

I personally believe the only way to answer this question is, What does your heart and intuition tell you? This will be your answer
Take good care

Love and peace

Rick

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon
reply to post by Jezus

I like your explanation, although it is nothing new.
Unfortunately the reverse is much more likely!
There is every reason to believe consciousness is a product of the brain.

Logically the brain can not experience the message it creates.

There is nothing scientifically to suggest this.

Physiological psychology or biological chemistry of the brain is the study of correlations between observed brain activity and perceived behavior and consciousness.

However, the more you learn about these subjects the easier it is to understand that these are nothing but moving pieces. Your brain is a physical piece just like your foot. All it does is synthesize the message of your sense organs. However, it does not experience this message. There is no scientific reason to believe it does.

You can call it a soul or the observing force or even just consciousness but it non physical.

The very fact that you experience “feelings” proves this.

Without this factor we would be nothing but biological robots without any feeling.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This topic has always fascinated me. I believe that we are far more than just a physical body and that when the body dies, the soul lives on.

There are many amazing stories of people who have had NDE's, even children. I think more people should look further into the study of NDE's before saying it's just a function of the brain and that these experiences are not real.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Life is.... Let's not make the mistake of thinking that biological life is any sort of a limit in being. Physical life is very limited. I've written extensively on this topic and any of that is too long, much too long, for a forum. Suffice to say that what we experience right now, personalities in flesh, is only a dim shadow of where we came from and where we will return. The story of interest has to be "why then interrupt such a wondrous existence to be here"? Well that question is partially answered by religions though none of them have it right.

I'll include one tidbit for consideration. The human brain does not produce consciousness. It merely allows the preexisting consciousness to interface with the body so the human form will be adequate for it's purpose. After death the consciousness continues unaffected. This explains NDE experiences. The brain functions include areas which receive and transmit all the time to the spiritual worlds. This is the essence of psychic ability. It is how esp works. It is how telepathy works. It is why "remote viewing" works and all the rest. This is why some can remember past lifetimes. It explains "multiple personalities". This is no more than a person experiencing the lives of others as well as their own. A little too sensitive. Easily fixed without meds. It explains "possessions". They too are easily dealt with. No priest or ritual necessary. It is also sometimes called "intuition" and sometimes "gut feelings" or other common terms. What all of that is is no more than instances of acute sensitivity to outside the physical life. Ain't no magic. It's all quite natural. And, for you Christians out there, Satan has no part in this. Jesus used these abilities every day.

Anyone wants to read more say so and I'll post a blog url.

tt
edit on 7-10-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hi There,

Is there 'life after death'? Perhaps if we re-phrase the question...do we continue a post-mortem conscious existence after the physical demise of the biological body? To which I must answer in the negative...no, there is no post-mortem consciousness. There is no energetic mechanism by which our personalities can survive cohesive and whole, and energised.

It's not important that you agree with me, not an essential at all. I don't seek your kudos, but I do seek your reason, and fairness of mind, for this is not a subject that I take lightly. I come from many many years of accepting a form of conscious continuation in some form, but I no longer follow that acceptance, and not without...good reason.

If I live the natural life cycle of a male, then I should think I am closer to the end of my life cycle than most (if not all) of the posters to this thread are to theirs. Death, per se, is not something that troubles me too much, it does not weigh nervously in my mind. A natural death is not something to fear, but dying by some other (non-natural) means may in itself bring thoughts of anxiety and distress upon one. Such thoughts may cloud the process into a fearful one. I do not think that death is something we actually fear, it is its anticipation and visiting circumstance that we fear. For me now, death is nothing more than life's release into utter, total oblivion. We go back to the void of 'un-being' to which we were before we were conceived and born.

Near death experiences (NDEs) have never proved a life after death. Some would say that it certainly implies such a circumstance, but that is in itself an interpretation culled from one's own weltanschauung.No one who has listened to, or read of NDE accounts can truly say to themselves that they know the account to be real. There is no way that the listener or reader can enter into the consciousness of the experient and perceive their NDE event as they did. The listener or reader remains forever on the outside peering in, a independant unit of consciousness separated by the vast gulf of non-immersive experience. Our minds are not merged by experience, only by empathy and wishful hope. The NDE, as wonderful and as profound as it may seem, always remains for the non-experiencer nothing more than a anecdote.

It is my belief that if we truly survive the death of our physical bodies, that we genuinely continue a post-mortem conscious continuation, then we would most certainly have direct access to the surviving entities, unemcumbered by darkness and vagueness of contact. Our experience of death would be much more tactile and evidential and correspondent, exhibiting death to be nothing more than a transitory process to a higher aspect of 'being', but 'being' is nothing more than a temporary existence, predicated upon the sustained continuation of biological processes that ultimately fail in their processes...death of the biological entity inevitably ensues, along with the psychological aspect of ourselves. There is no after life.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I believe in reincarnation. NDE proves this, and other past life memories for some. www.near-death.com
Why not all of us have past life memories? We would most definitely judge each other by knowing so.

Reincarnation explains many unexplainable, like why are some people born poor or rich, or why some with deadly illness or healthy, why the difference? Reincarnation is the short answer and past life dids.

I believe in GOD and gods. Gods are the highest beings you can be, where you have mystical powers etc. But one soul can never be like GOD. (Jesus and others like Him were gods... shame people changed their words and created religions full of lies)

I believe in heaven and hell. Now the question must be "how can you believe in hell and reincarnation?" Well if you was a bad soul you go hell first for a shorter or longer time then reincarnate in an appropriate body considering your past life (can be as low as an animal). Heaven is VERY difficult place to get to, i wont even write about it its that hard.

What are the rules to get into a 'higher' life form? Make GOD happy. I consider this the point of living for every living intelligence. Make GOD happy and you will be automatically happy and not just. How to make GOD happy? By simple logic. What would a PERFECT BEING would like you to be like? You chose the answers.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Most definitely.
many people have had near death experiances, where they go through a 'life review' where they watch their whole life and how they treat others (myself included)

It's very life changing, too bad we can't all go through one every now and then (to see how we are doing)

i believe in heaven only, hell is inflicted on yourself (or is it god?) when you see your selfish actions and the bad way you treat others. When you can finally bear yourself in the past life, you will reincarnate into a new life form.

I had a friend who lived in a silent monastary for 30 years, he went to 2 past life people and found out he murdered his wife : I suppose the silent monastary was his punishment (or it might have been his choice, because he didnt want to seperate from god hence the monastary)

skeptics say nde are caused by "dmt" released when the brain shuts down (chemical that causes hallucinations) but people that have near death experiances know there is MUCH MUCH more than that. and anyway, how does that even make sense? if the brain has shut down (dead = heart stop, brain function stops + no breathing i think) how is there any thought process going on, let alone recalling years of your life in infinite detail, in what seems to be seconds?

There is some proof of soul/spirit/greater energy. Examples:
meditations: people meditate for long enough, when they reach nirvana they start to levitate (after they obtain their siddhi powers, when they meditate (or connect) they can do MANY MANY nice things

acupuncture: said to affect the etheric body into manipulating your phisical body, using a (very) small needle

astral projection phenomenon: People can recall "cards" and other objects in another room (when they havent seen it with their physical body) (kinda similar with remote viewing)
edit on 8-10-2010 by alien102 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
From personal experience, having had a Near Death Experience and transitioned over to the other side--whatever dimension one wants to call it--I'd say yes, there is life after physical death. Part of us goes on when we leave the physical world and body behind.

I have no "scientific proof" for that, of course, nor do I think there can ever be any.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I personally believe that when we "die" we merely shed this flesh and blood body to fully become the energy that is our spirit, our soul. I also believe that we are hear to learn live and enjoy so we can maybe be a little prepared for that next stage. But again, no one can really know until its too late.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Yes, there is life after death.

Death is a new beginning. It is the end of your learning in this world before you go on to the next.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

Hmmm, that means all the work I do between the living and the dead, how I take the lost dead into the Light I found when I was 17 back in the 70's is all..well, what? My imagination?

Not having an insult at you, just offering a different perspective.

There must be many of us who genuinely do this work. It's a shame that as yet science has no way of measuring anything to do with what happens with Awareness after the body drops away.

So until then we rely on people like myself who are happy to share information from their regular direct experience working in the field... or we deny it being possible. No middle ground there unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I believe there is life after death but I also believe that some people reincarnate here on earth. We can all think of a few people who have a level of skill or ability at a very young age that is practically impossible to reach in one life time no matter how hard you try. If you could spend every waking moment trying to develop that same skill you won't reach it.

For reincarnation to work though, you have to have old and new souls. I dont know the special ingredient to reincarnate but its possible that its a difficult process much like lighting a fire in the cold, wet wild outdoors with no matches. And possibly its out of mans hands completely as to who reincarnates or doesn't. I don't know, I just believe its possible.

I don't believe that one would come back instantly as a newborn baby the minute his/her current life ceases. The reason being..... if there were only one mom and one dad alive on earth and one child that died for instance. There's no possible chance for the child to reincarnate until mom and dad have another baby. His soul would have to enter some type waiting place until a new baby is born. Obviously, if the child never died in the first place but recieved a new brother, his new brother would have to have a new soul.

I believe there is a spiritual world of invisibles out there all around us.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

For reincarnation to work we need to stop saying what it should be based on, lol.

From my experience there is no such thing as Old and New souls.. well not AGE wise anyway. Some souls are new to this Experience we call Life on earth, but they are ancient souls just like the rest of us. I mean, before you came here to experience this, you existed in other world of experience.. so you are alreadywhat the new-agers call an ascended master. Only you haven't Remembered yourself yet.

It's the soul that makes all the decisions. There is no 'higher power' forcing us to do its will, we are powerful and massive souls, we do what we choose to do.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

No, because I said so.

Yes, because I said so.

Now you can choose
But only from the 2 possibilities I presented here! Because I said so.

paimei01.blogspot.com...
edit on 8-10-2010 by pai mei because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Here's a very simple answer:

No one knows. Especially no one on ATS. Those who claim they know they will come face to face with Jesus is a liar, they have no idea what happens and if they claim they do, don't associate yourself with them. I tend to back away from someone slowly when they tell me "I'll be with God and my loved ones in Heaven when I die."

That kind of mind thinking is for children. As adults, we need to deal with reality and logic. That reality is that we have no clue what happens after we die and the logic is to not actually believe in those who tell us there's some kind of heaven or paradise.

No one has the ability to see after death.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
Here's a very simple answer:

No one knows. Especially no one on ATS. Those who claim they know they will come face to face with Jesus is a liar, they have no idea what happens and if they claim they do, don't associate yourself with them. I tend to back away from someone slowly when they tell me "I'll be with God and my loved ones in Heaven when I die."

That kind of mind thinking is for children. As adults, we need to deal with reality and logic. That reality is that we have no clue what happens after we die and the logic is to not actually believe in those who tell us there's some kind of heaven or paradise.

No one has the ability to see after death.

How do you know what you say is true

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
From a buddhist point of view; I believe in life after death..

But I also believe that we can stop that 'circle'

If we reach 'nirvana' in this life we also stop the circle of reincarnation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join