2010 Hurricane Season ... Looks Like Another Busted 'Forcast'

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The hurricane predictors should join ATS. They seem to have about the same track record on their forecasting.

INTERVIEW-U.S. gets off lightly in active hurricane season

MIAMI, Oct 6 (Reuters) - The 2010 Atlantic hurricane season has been very active in the number of storms but is likely to go down as a non-event for most people in the United States, which has so far dodged a major landfall, the top official U.S. hurricane forecaster said on Tuesday.

Before the June 1-Nov. 30 season got under way, residents of hurricane danger zones were warned by many forecasters they faced a very high probability of a major hurricane making landfall along the U.S. coastline.

That has not happened and with the most active part of the season winding down in the next two weeks or so, the chances of a major impact on the U.S. mainland or on energy interests in the Gulf of Mexico are ebbing.

Related Posts:

Hurricane Watch 2010

Could the oil spill intensify the hurricane season?

How will hurricane season impact the oil spill? Katrina with oil...,

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
While I'm not arguing that their forecasts have outcomes similar to predictions and prophecies on ATS, I have to pick on the wording of the article. The most active part of the season may be over in two weeks but the season doesn't end for almost 2 months. Personally I'd prefer to wait until the end of the season before making judgment on the forecasters that can barely tell you what happened yesterday. We are still in an infancy of understanding how weather works and will hopefully learn from this inaccurate forecast.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Dr. Ryan N. Maue's 2010 Global Tropical Cyclone Activity Update

Update: Current Year-to-Date analysis of Northern Hemisphere and Global Tropical Cyclone Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) AND Power Dissipation Index (PDI) has fallen even further than during the previous 3-years. The global activity is at 33-year lows and at a historical record low where Typhoons form in the Western Pacific.

join