It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you struggling with everyday life? Feel like somthing is missing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This was a post on facebook I made to a mate who is suffering from alcoholism it may not apply to all of you but to me after writing it and reading it back - it really felt like the message I was trying to convey came directly out, So for any of you who are struggling to cope in this world I offer you my 2c of wisdom, take what you wish from this and throw the rest away...

Unfortunately our potential is limited by the world we have created. We must spend the majority of the life working for others who are often greedy and only care about their life, or live in fear of falling behind eveyone else. We work in order to survive, leaving little room for us to unleash our true potential and creativity.
This causes frustration and depression which some people then try to numb through substance abuse, abuse of the physical world, each other and alternate realities (TV, internet, gaming etc).
Some try to unlock their potential through stealing, violence, and manipulation of others to obtain more power.
The problem is often when we manage to get ahead we use this advantage to again numb the frustration and depression instead of using it towards a long term solution.

The other problem is in order to hold ourselves afloat we must always directly or indirectly drown someone else.
Until we all start to swim together, we as the human race will continue numbing the pain and drowning each other in the middle of the ocean.

So next time you want a drink, just pick up the phone and call a friend so they can remind you why you are irreplaceable and need to stop numbing the pain.

Together we can start swimming to the shore to build a new world where nobdy has to drown. No matter how tired we get of swimming against the current and having others drown us to stay afloat we must continue to swim in the right direction and reminding others to do the same.

edit on 7-10-2010 by byteshertz because: spelling & to add think of what a company really is - it is a pile of people using their combined force to keep themself afloat.. just a bit more food for thought - but dont let it get you down because you are never alone! I am here, and just a message away ;-)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Awesome message, thanks for sharing it.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Thanks, I was really tired at the time and just typing a bit of a rant to cheer my mate up, but the more i read over it I kind of thought it really is just like we are all drowning and trying to be the ones on the top of the pile when we should be working together for a common cause - alot of people will say here is where we run in to the problem - we have no cause, but really we all we need to do first is help keep each other afloat, and eventually we will find a better situation if we can help each other through the worst
edit on 7-10-2010 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Maybe you've heard the statement before that says something to the effect that the best way to help yourself is to help others. I think there's a lot of truth to that. Far too often, we get so caught up in our own problems that we don't see that a good majority of the population is suffering just as much or worse than we are. But instead of seeing this, we isolate ourselves and remind ourselves over and over in our heads how many things we've done wrong that have led us to drinking, drugs, or what have you.

The only thing that seems to result is that we continue to drown out the negative stuff by numbing ourselves. You are right, if we looked at it from the perspective that until we approach it as a problem that can't be improved unless we work in unison to defeat it, we will continue as we are and nothing will change.

I would also add that before we can even improve it a little, we need to do something about the "cult" disguised as groups called A.A. or N.A. If you notice, there is little other option out there for people independently or through the court systems that isn't tied to some form of the "12 Step Program." Obviously this program is a failure (not for all, but on the majority), in my opinion. It is a failure because it seeks to strip individuals of their inner power and brainwashes them into thinking that they are "powerless" over a beverage that contains alcohol or any number of powders, rocks, or green leafy substances that many feel have the sole power over their lives. Any organization that tries to convince people that they will ultimately never recover from their addiction unless they make a lifetime commitment to these groups and their meetings should be held under scrutiny.

Sorry, I got a little off topic there, but this is really a hot button for me for many reasons, one of which is that I had much exposure to this coming from a past career in the criminal justice system. Trust me, nothing is changing. If anything, more and more people are simply getting caught up in the vicious cycle of addiction, rehab that is not rehab, and back to their addiction, etc., etc. It's mind boggling that something better hasn't been tried. I suppose there really is no desire to change things for the better when we're talking about the alcoholic beverage industry and the drug trade who see such lofty profits from our inability to exercise self control over our addictions.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Great thread, mate! It's a pity such threads remain unnoticed in favor of the sensational threads about aliens and conspiracies.

I don't really understand most people yet, although I've never stopped trying to. In spite of all their constant complaining, they don't seem to try to do anything to help themselves or at least to think about what you are trying to say in order to help them. And as you well know - you cannot help anyone before they want to help themselves at first place. So I am still wondering why people complain and seem to suffer and at the same time by means of logic you can assume that they like that victim state they put themselves in by blaming everything else rather than themselves about their problems.

Originally posted by byteshertz

Until we all start to swim together, we as the human race will continue numbing the pain and drowning each other in the middle of the ocean.

I said something similar, I think it was again in one of your threads:
"As long as we see thing separately, we will always suffer."
And I know this from my very heart. People don't seem to see how very much connected we all are and that doing something to someone else is like doing it to our very selves. It is inevitable that we start swimming together, because sooner or later we will realize our true nature. Those who refuse to accept this will have have a bit of hard time.

To NightGypsy: Why do you think that nothing is changing? Everything is constantly changing. We are developing and change is inevitable.

The problem of the people now is that they don't know who they really are and have exchanged their true selves for false identities in this material world. That is why their souls suffer. My oppinion is that the only way to make it in this life is to rediscover our true selves. This is a thread I started on this topic:
To All Truth Seekers

edit on 14-11-2010 by ElevenFlint because: forgot the name of the poster

top topics

join