It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How fast is time moving?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This past weekend I've heard many people say it was over very quickly.
Is time speeding up?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dementedtheclown

No this is rediculous....

Time is only changing its not going anywhere...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Time is relative i think.

Example,

1 minute making out with a hot girl seems like 4 seconds not 1 minute....over too quick.

1 minute with a burning rock in the palm of your hand seems like a lifetime...could not be quick enough.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Time is moving at 1 second per second. At least here on Earth.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Here is a test you might find interesting.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed

Time is relative i think.

Example,

1 minute making out with a hot girl seems like 4 seconds not 1 minute....over too quick.

1 minute with a burning rock in the palm of your hand seems like a lifetime...could not be quick enough.

Stolen from Einstein without morals!!!

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Ah... I heard it on an old Monty Python sketch years ago.

Great minds think alike

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I love this topic!
It does feel that time is getting faster and faster. I originally thought this was what all adults felt once they grew up but.... seems even young kids now days feel this is true as well.

I remember as a kid Friday seemed to take forever and I struggled to count the days till school holidays, it seemed like an eternity away... Now, years go by faster, counting years is like counting months when I was younger. Even my children refer to times by years and they can't believe that years go by so quickly. They are way too young to feel that way. Is it technology? Seems like time is being stolen from us right from under our noses. I'm curious what other replies are posted. --Don't waste too much time though hehehe.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Great minds think alike

Ahh hehe, I had it as a signature here a long time ago, and thought it was pretty good for a quote.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Time may be relative...but it is relative to each of us in a different way. In other words, each of us have our own perception of the length of time. What if no one ever told you, taught you about "time"? Would you not perceive it in a more personal way?

Our internal clocks are what govern our perceptions of time. Those that are sensitive enough to understand this will feel the difference as we go into the shift, some will feel it sooner than others and many will not feel it at all.
More than likely, they won't even understand what they are feeling.

Enjoy the "ride", it's gonna be wild...

~holly

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet11

I love this topic!
It does feel that time is getting faster and faster. I originally thought this was what all adults felt once they grew up but.... seems even young kids now days feel this is true as well.

I remember as a kid Friday seemed to take forever and I struggled to count the days till school holidays, it seemed like an eternity away... Now, years go by faster, counting years is like counting months when I was younger. Even my children refer to times by years and they can't believe that years go by so quickly. They are way too young to feel that way. Is it technology? Seems like time is being stolen from us right from under our noses. I'm curious what other replies are posted. --Don't waste too much time though hehehe.

When we were younger we had less things to distract us - no internet, fewer channels on tv, radio actually had decent music but mostly at night...

As time has changed, we fill the little spaces we used to notice with humdrum activities... twittering, checking emails, scanning the bazillion useless channels on tv, trying to ignore the monotonous drone of todays music...

We don't really sit back and listen to our own thoughts let alone experience time the same way.

I find it hilarious that recently on the tv there was a story of a guy who spent a week in his bathroom to break his internet addiction. for crying out loud... I remember when computers were for nerds and everyone else was normal. Now we have cretins on the tv saying how they cant live without one, or an iPhone, etc...

The world is not the same as it used to be.... it's a lot faster. Time isn't getting faster, or changing at an accelerated rate, it's just we have less time to notice we've got nothing to do and expend most of our attention on things that require no thought...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The quickening ,,,, ,,, ,, ,

Is at hand!@

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Time is merely the measure of how much space an object covers going at a certain speed/velocity.

"Time" is not a dimension or a tangible thing.

Time is rhythm or repetition. 24 hours, the measurement of time, is a designation for the earth finishing it's cycle of rotation - the cycle begins or ends while facing directly at or facing directly away from the face of the sun.

Etc, etc.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by violet11

Every year goes faster it seems. even the weeks seem to fly by. Maybe I'm just getting old but sometimes I'll swear it is Wednesday (or pick a day) and it will really be Thursday. What the hell happened Wednesday?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think the reason time seems to go by faster as we get older is because, for example, when we were 5, a year was 1/5 of our life time. But as we get older, that fraction gets smaller and smaller. I'm 20 now, so a year is 1/20 of my life time. So I guess, technically, for me, time seems to be going 4x faster than it did when I was 5.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A simple search in the upper-right hand corner of your screen will yield similar threads as this one, nothing that will likely satisfy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

et cetera, et cetara

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well, to be PERFECTLY honest, you could be experiencing time dilation.

Not sure how to quote a source directly but:

The gravitational frequency shift effect on GPS due to general relativity is that a clock closer to a massive object runs slower than a clock farther away. Applied to GPS, the receivers are much closer to Earth than the satellites, causing GPS clocks to be faster by a factor of 5×10−10, or about 45.9 μs/day.

When combining time dilation and gravitational frequency shift, the discrepancy is about 38 microseconds per day, a difference of 4.465 parts in 1010.[84] Without correction (i.e. without the solution algorithm correction for the initial pseudorange errors), errors in position determination of roughly 10 km/day would accumulate.

en.wikipedia.org...

Could be you had a low-gravity spot of time there. did you feel light-headed by any chance?

OK, SERIOUSLY though, I would agree with all of the above posts, in that I MYSELF feel that time is running faster. not only weekends, but week-days as well. I wake up to realize that it's a Thursday, yet it feels like just the day before was monday...

Perhaps there is something to this.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Great minds think alike

Love that picture, had that as my wallpaper for awhile.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Time doesn't exist... It is a fictional medium to measure and to quantify the durations of events and the intervals between them!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

There is no such thing as time. "Time" is just a way to keep track of events and when to do what based on circumstances. True time is infinite and can not be measured.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join