It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This story has CHANGED MY LIFE ... it may change yours as well.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse
op can i ask you a question
why dont you give an inkling of what the subject is about in the title for the thread
why do you use a sensational headline to get peoples attention

i really dont get why people make headlines such as `check this out` `you wont believe this` `ive amzing news`

why cant people simply make it a 6/7/8 word headline of what the thread is about

I'm guessing the headline was what it was because the story itself changed the OP's life, which is exactly what was said. I don't see why you, and a few others in this thread, feel the need to crap on it for things that don't exist.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khaaaaaan!! This process is going to take a Looooooooooong time to finish. By today's count It will be over 300 billion years to finish................. and that's just using simple math. (I'm probably way off, but it is over 300 B for sure)

More than that. There have been over 100 billion people on earth: www.prb.org... is an estimate. But I don't think you need to worry because despite this being a feel-good, kumbaya kind of story in a Jonathan Livingstone Seagull kind of way, I don't think it works that way. As Hobbes is alleged to have said, most lives are "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." I surely have no wish to experience every life lived, and I see no evidence that is the case. The literature concerning reincarnation rarely suggests this and I see no reason to jump upon this as revealed truth. From a practical standpoint it doesn't make much sense either. You mean to tell me you need to get gassed 6 million times in an oven before you finally "get it." To be subjected to such abject horror does not seem to me to be the work of a 'loving god.'

Perhaps "we" don't have a choice, but to me it's worth fighting against. I make no bones that I do not like the system as I understand it--this is just a worst-case scenario imaginable--and I trust there are a few souls who want to stop this BS and get off this train wreck of reincarnation cycles. (Indeed, one interpretation of what Jesus meant is that if you follow him you can break the cycle.) Here's hoping there is a way to opt out.
edit on 10/10/2010 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2010 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Nice story.

It hammers home something I've always held to be true.

There can be only one reason why we are here, and that is to learn.

There is simply nothing else that makes logical sense as to why we should exist at all.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I started a thread similar to this, with my theory being exactly the same as your gem of a story, which explains completely what I was trying to say.

Wish there was some kind of heart smilie on here.

For a person of your age you are absolutly outstanding!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I liked this, however I just saw it on 4chan.
Keeps me wondering if its viral. Probably not.
Good idea anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
6 billion of failures to "mature" and it exponentially increasing every minute
Self torment, mutilate and self praise it to the max (living in eggshell)
Memories of past was erased/blocked, your life wouldnt learn anything
Unable to create something that lasts for the future to be proud - total failure
Apart from lies and wrangled knowledge, nothing seems to last for future "us"
The reason universe is solely created is for us to mature ? - Selfishness to the max, I hope the aliens dont read this or there will be inter species war.

The intention is good but the story FAIL in various part.

Stop searching dude, you're still young, dont waste your life with this kind of stuff.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gatorboi117

Your right, it took me 51 years to get to where you are now! I was living life the best I could but I forgot to set back and take a look at where I was.

It something else when you realize where you are when this comes to you. At first it is almost scary is it not.

But one thing about what has happened is that you will not ever forget what you felt. And to me I hope I do a whole lot better than I did in those last years.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Nm
edit on 10/11/2010 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged!

What an absolutely profound post from one so young. I have a seventeen year old stepson who can't think of anyone but himself. His world revolves around his wants and needs and to him nothing else matters. What a breath of fresh air you are!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This thread is nice, but wouldn't this be a GREAT WAY to get people complacent just before something, shall we say, "dramatic" were about to happen?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
This thread is nice, but wouldn't this be a GREAT WAY to get people complacent just before something, shall we say, "dramatic" were about to happen?

I want you to take this message to heart, and I'm afraid that you won't because of your suspicion that I could be some sort of "government poser". So, in the hopes of curing those fears, I shall send you a PM that contains a link to my Facebook profile (lol). Please report back if you find that I am legitament. I am just afraid of your suspicions scaring others away from accepting a message like this.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
sorry, double post.
edit on 11-10-2010 by gatorboi117 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Your a very mature 17 year old. Rock on my brotha..or myself?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

gatorboi117,

Very good story I never read before and the effect it had on you to write a reaction that was mature for your age was written very well.
It is always good to have compassion for people but keep in mind take care of your family first ~ the past, the present and the future because in the end they will be the ones that retain who you really were in their memory and they are the ones that need you the most today.

3 days after I turned 14 I lost my father on this exact date Oct 11, I turned 44 on the 8th and my father still lives with in me today.

take care

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i dont minds

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117

Originally posted by GhostLancer

I want you to take this message to heart, and I'm afraid that you won't because of your suspicion that I could be some sort of "government poser". So, in the hopes of curing those fears, I shall send you a PM that contains a link to my Facebook profile (lol). Please report back if you find that I am legitament. I am just afraid of your suspicions scaring others away from accepting a message like this.

Dearest gatorboi117, thank you for the PM and the link to your Facebook profile. First, let me begin by stating that I really enjoyed the story. In fact, in a far earlier post, I gave you high marks for it. It truly is enlightening. Second, my last post, about this thread being a great way to get people complacent just before "something dramatic" was really half joking.

However, I went to the link to your Facebook page, and if you really wanted to inspire someone to believe you were NOT a government agent (or whatever), the photo you have as your main profile would not be the one I would choose to do so. For everyone who has not seen it, it is a dark photo of a young man in a suit wearing MIB-styled sunglasses. LOL...! If I were inclined toward paranoia, which is not the case, then your photo would certainly inspire suspicion. I find it hilarious, actually, that you would use it as proof that you are NOT a "spook," when for all intents and purposes, the photo would suggest that you ARE. It's a knee-slapper.

Very enjoyable. Thank you very much for the laugh. I mean this sincerely, not sarcastically in the least! Perhaps you are 17 after all. And maybe that was the point.

Either way, it was a very enjoyable story, and should improve people's outlook. I think one of the biggest problems in our world today is the fact that most people cannot or will not see things from the perspective of others. Empathy and civility seem to have given way to greed and apathy. The story you posted is sure to change things for many, many people. As well as get the cattle ready for the slaughter.

Just kidding. But perhaps. Nah, just kidding. But still...
Thanks for a most interesting post.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
While I too view the story itself as interesting but slightly dubious in some senses, I feel and have always felt that our capacity for empathy is among our most special and crucial (to our evolution beyond mere animal competition) abilities. Personally, it is reassuring to know there are some people on the cusp of adulthood who think this way and are willing to be empathetic and compassionate.

I commend you for your view, and I do share it. Just keep in mind that at times, being unconditionally empathetic toward all people (which is what I try my best to do,) can be an ironically lonely and difficult path to walk. Not to actually do it, because that part is fairly straightforward in my experience once it becomes second nature. But to publicly express such a viewpoint in a society so sustained and reliant upon status and self-interest.

This was recently brought home to me when several important people in my life who I respect and love deeply more or less dehumanized and invalidated my rights and principles (including this one) on the grounds that I was being too idealistic and "unrealistic." The more you care about everyone equally and without preconditions, the more some people - not all, but some - will attack you, even to the point at times of justifying the dehumanization of another person. This is because for some people, the concept of empathetic equality is a threat to any emotional or egotistical advantage they feel they have or need.

I was essentially left isolated and shunned because of this belief, and yet, ironically, the whole time I found myself trying to empathize with their position and to understand and respect it. And I do understand and respect their right to it. That doesn't make it any less painful to be on the receiving end of it, though. So if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, just remember that that is sometimes the unavoidable cost of adhering to such a principle, and that you are not alone in your adherence to it. (But you are - sadly - in the minority. Just be aware of that and have the courage and determination to accept it if you feel it's what is right for you as an individual.)

Peace.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I know you said you don't believe it to be true but this makes alot more sense than most religions, at least i want it to. It's a truly beautiful thought, after all...
We are all lilly pads on a lake, seperated on the surface, but connected by the deep.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
As I sit here on my laptop just about to go to sleep, I look over at my girlfriend and give her a kiss goodnight.
Did i just kiss myself?

In all honesty, if everyone looked at the people they treat like # as if they were themselves, a lot of our issues in life would be solved.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join