It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More evidence that a pole shift is happening...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Sinkhole opens in Charlotte Motor Speedway infield

The Good Earth has not been kind to NASCAR this year. First we had the pothole that delayed the Daytona 500 for more than two hours. And now comes word that a gargantuan sinkhole has opened up in the infield at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

3 Tornadoes Tear Across N. Arizona, Damage Homes

A rare swarm of tornadoes shoved semis off highways and destroyed homes in the pre-dawn darkness Wednesday, leaving startled residents wondering if they were in Arizona anymore or had woken up in the twister-prone Midwest.

Hurricane Season Not Over Yet: Subtropical Storm Otto Forms

Otto makes the 15th named storm of the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season. Named storms include tropical storms and hurricanes.

Hansen projects hottest year on record... in 2012

According to James Hansen, the director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), 2010 may not wind up being the hottest year in the modern temperature record after all. In an analysis posted last week,

It's time to wake up folks! Something is going on in this solar system. Sink holes, hurricanes, heat waves and tornados doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about our future existence. What is the deal with all these sink holes lately? Is the Earth imploding? Or is this the result of a pole shift in the making? All the hurricanes and tornadoes and earthquakes make me think something is definetly wrong with this Earth.

Take a look at the following graph. The amount of seismic activity has increased over the last decade.

Earthquake long term trends

Time to wake up and smell the coffee folks! If we dont' save ourselves then no one will save us. They won't tell us until it's too late to do anything. While they run for shelter we will be stuck looking stupid.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Never been sinkholes before?
Never been hurricanes before?
Never been heat waves before?
Never been tornados before?

Oh my. That is frightening. Tell me, oh please tell me. How may I save myself?

BTW, that earthquake graph is meaningless. Its source does not list all earthquakes.

Selected earthquakes of general historic interest.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
these are not uncommon events, every year is either hottest/coldest we dont seem to to have average weather anymore global warming /global cooling but what can we do ?were urged to save energy by switching off lights and unplugging appliances ,yet check out how much energy has been wasted in 50yrs of nuclear tests its possible that this is the reason the planets goosed

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Despite the star I just gave you Phage, i'll plug in with the following article from New Scientist

2nd Super Fast Flip of Earths Poles Discovered

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm sure that future generations will be happy to know that the formula for pole shifts has officially been discovered:

sinkholes in Charlotte
+
Tornadoes in N. Arizona
+
October Hurricanes
+
Warmer than average years

POLE SHIFT

edit on 6-10-2010 by Aggie Man because:

edit on 6-10-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Caveat Lector

That link is broken (?) I got this when I clicked it:

While trying to retrieve the URL: www.newscientist.com...
The following error was encountered:
Invalid Hostname
Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
Name is unknown
Footprint 4.6/FPMCP

Anyway- I went to the main site and found this but I'm not a subscriber to the magazine, so I can't read the entire article.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Yes, I'm aware of the claims of evidence of a fast pole shift.
There is not much acceptance for the theory and the researchers themselves say there are other possible explanations for their findings.

But please explain how a magnetic pole shift can cause:
-Sinkholes
-Tornadoes
-Hurricanes
-Heat Waves

(I know you're not making the claim)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Just to clarify exactly what the dangers are:
The speedway sinkhole

You may have heard about the sinkhole that developed in one of our infield display areas last Friday night due to recent heavy rains. The area was over a landfill and we found a 30 year old drain pipe that had deteriorated more than 35 feet below the ground surface.

sports.yahoo.com...

It's hurricane season.

Hurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1st and ends November 30th. The Eastern Pacific hurricane season begins May 15th and also ends November 30th.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Interesting, a weather forecast 2 years in advance. Same guy said 2010 was going to be the hottest.

Yes, tornados occur in various places, not just tornado alley.

August 27 1964 - First tornado death in state

A tornado moved through an Indian village southwest of Tucson demolishing four homes, killing two people and injuring eight, all from one family. This was the first tornado reported in Arizona that cuased a death. Property damage was done to the convent of the Nuns of St. Francis. The nearby historic San Xavier Mission escaped with only minor structural damage.

June 23 1974 - Tornado kills one and injures 40

One man was killed and 40 people were injured as a tornado ripped through a mobile park about one mile west of the historic San Xavier Mission, southwest of Tucson. The tornado was estimated to be on the ground for three minutes and destroyed 19 mobile homes with severe damage to 50 others. Three additional tornadoes were spotted and reported to law enforcement officials between 330 PM and 4 PM.

www.wrh.noaa.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I suppose sarcasm doesn't come across so well sometimes. I meant to clarify my above statement with

Alas, it showed up as

Note to self....drink less beer

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I have to agree. And it's harder to discern when it's two levels deep.
I caught yours.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoodie

That link is broken (?) I got this when I clicked it:

Think they give partial access outside the states.

Here it is...

SOME 16 million years ago, north became south in a matter of years. Such fast flips are impossible, according to models of the Earth's core, but this is now the second time that evidence has been found. The magnetic poles swap every 300,000 years, a process that normally takes up to 5000 years. In 1995 an ancient lava flow with an unusual magnetic pattern was discovered in Oregon. It suggested that the field at the time was moving by 6 degrees a day - at least 10,000 times faster than usual. "Not many people believed it," says Scott Bogue of Occidental College in Los Angeles. Now Bogue and his colleague Jonathan Glen of the United States Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California, say they have found a second example in Nevada. The lava rock suggests that in one year, Earth's magnetic field shifted by 53 degrees (Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1029/2010GL044286). At that rate, a full flip would take less than four years, but there could be another interpretation. "It may have been a burst of rapid acceleration that punctuated the steady movement of the field," says Bogue. Peter Olson of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, remains sceptical and points out that the effects could have been local rather than global. Earth is overdue for a reversal, and rapid shifts would cause widespread chaos - for navigation and migratory birds for instance.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

what would happen if poles switched?
www.madsci.org...
edit on 6-10-2010 by krs678 because: missed out link

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Never been sinkholes before?
Never been hurricanes before?
Never been heat waves before?
Never been tornados before?

Oh my. That is frightening. Tell me, oh please tell me. How may I save myself?

BTW, that earthquake graph is meaningless. Its source does not list all earthquakes.

Selected earthquakes of general historic interest.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Solid on yer side Phage
This one was way off

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The thing is we know that magnetic reversals happen. In fact they're not that rare at all. If one were to occur it would be relatively benign. What the OP seems to be suggesting is a TPW, where the crust itself actually shifts. This would theoretically cause problems. I say theoretically because one has never occurred. There is some literature on them, but most of the claims seem to be coming from fringe sources.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

The thing is we know that magnetic reversals happen. In fact they're not that rare at all. If one were to occur it would be relatively benign. What the OP seems to be suggesting is a TPW, where the crust itself actually shifts. This would theoretically cause problems. I say theoretically because one has never occurred. There is some literature on them, but most of the claims seem to be coming from fringe sources.

(Off Topic) I was really relieved to finally read a kind, respectful response to the OP. I wish more people in this world expressed their scepticism and disagreement in such a way. Condescending and/or sarcastic replies really aren't helpful. I believe they punish creative thinking.

(On Topic) Didn't know about the new sinkhole until this thread. Thanks, OP.

Oh, and what does TPW stand for?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Firstly, my bad if I'm wrong. But if there's a polar shift, does that mean (if we survive) that countries 'normal' weather patterns will change?
Because i would love for it to snow here

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's not in a weird place. It's in a trailer park. That is a natural tornado attractor.
I live in Tornado Alley, and we know if you don't want to get hit by a tornado, don't live in or near a trailer park.
I thought everyone knew that.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Well roughly every 300,000 years but it's not consisent. The evidence, you may know, is from lava recording the direction of the magnetic field as it cools past the Curie tempreture. That, combined with some (few cm/yr) of continental drift and scientists can determine change in the North and South magnetic poles.

As for it being benign, think the jury is still out there. The EM field around the Earth is vital in protecting us from cosmic radiation and this has dropped 10% in the past 200 years. We could very well be left unprotected for a short time...

Out of interest here's a pic of the magnetic north pole movement from 1904 to 2001

Polar Shift examples from Lava samples at various positions away from divergent margin

edit on 7/10/10 by Caveat Lector because: added pic

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
And another sinkhole www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=9702643#pid9702643

edit on 8-10-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think part of the reason replies to "pole shift" threads tend to be on the sharp side is because there's some real confusion (usually on the part of the thread starter) about what kind of pole shift is being discussed in whatever article is linked as corroborating evidence, followed by claims that a pole shift will cause (insert disaster here).

If the OP is referring to a 'flip' of the magnetic poles (as is discussed in the article linked a few posts in), the impact will actually be fairly minimal, as far as I can tell. There may be some confused Boy Scouts wandering around looking at their suddenly unreliable compasses and working on their Profanity" merit badges, and there may be some very surprised migratory birds, but for most of us, life will go on. I don't navigate to work using a magnetic compass, the power grid doesn't care about magnetic north, etc. The magnetic poles wander on a regular basis (at least on a geological time scale) and have 'flipped' before...it's a survivable event, or even a non-event.

On the other hand, if the OP is referring to a 'flip' of the physical poles, that's not going to happen, never has happened, and, in fact, physically can't happen. The physical stresses involved would rip the planet to gravel long before such a 'flip' was complete...think about the amount of inertia such an event would have to overcome, and what sort of event would have to trigger the 'flip'.

In short, it's hard to be serious (as opposed to sarcastic) when there are two options, one being a non-event and the other being an impossibility.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join