It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe under threat from massive chemical spill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
reply to post by Muckster

I saw this on Sky News this morning, and thought back to your thread. Sorry if I seemed offensive, as you said, we both agree!

This is going to get a lot worse, how much more can the Worlds water system take!?

Indeed... The world fresh water supply is under massive pressure at moment from pollution, irrigation and rising temperatures.

Someone once said that the next major war would not be fought over land, oil, or power. The next major war would be over fresh water.

Things like this current disaster certainly don’t help.

Peace

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I read in newspaper and they said it is several tens of millions ton of chemical toxic spill. They said this disaster is worse than gulf oil spill.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I see a lot of people asking while this red mud, which is a waste product, was stored.

This waste product still contains irons and minerals that mixed together become toxic. They store this 'mix' to re-use in other products, one of these are the cleaning products you and I use every day. Other uses are Industrial, to clean machinery, and so on.... that's why it is kept in reservoirs (it's money)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Am I the person you are refering to!? I said that only a week ago!

Water is the next major threat, but there is an even bigger threat emerging on the horizon... a war fought around minerals. That is what scientists are now concerned about. It is happening between China and another nation right now. I would psot a link, but this thread is not the place.

Someone else has posted a thread on this same topic, I alerted them to this one that we have been following for days, but people are still posting on the other one. Can we continue the topics on this thread please!?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
They just said on our news that the Hungarian authorities have now comfirmed that the dam will break through entirely within the next two day, maybe even sooner. This is without a doubt. If that happens it means a huge flow of mud, aprox 500 million liters, will flow towards the Donau river. They are still evacuating two towns, close to 5000 people.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
heres a sad update by the looks of this pic the damn is going to fail very soon.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Rev: 16:3
"And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea;
and it became as the blood of a dead [man]: and every
living soul died in the sea."

kinda makes me wonder if TPTB are just trying to
mimic or simulate God's Prophecy to make Christians
lose their faith and turn away from God. Because this
part of Revelations happens AFTER the rapture
and the Christians are still here for this news event.
It is a simulation from Satan. Do not be fooled.
God's hand is not in this.
edit on 10/10/2010 by boondock-saint because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

It may well have been... in all honesty i cant remember where i heard it ?!?!

Some pictures of the spill from the BBC here...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I still think this story is being downplayed big time.

It's not a cover up, it's just plain ignoring the story.

It is not being talked about much in US Media, they do mention it breifly a few times a day but spend 95% of the time on totally unrelated pointless stuff like politics or celebrities.

And on ATS there is also a very obvious lack of attention to this issue. It's kinda odd.

In the last few days I've seen a handful of pics, I am actually quite amazed by it.

From various sources, I've seen like 10 chemicals named and others referenced.

I've been calling it the super ultra red sludge of doom because that is actually what it is.

I can't even remeber all of the thoughts I've had about this in the last few days. And my continued disbelief that it's totally being ignored and under-hyped.

This issue really needs front page worldwide.

And who knows what the true death counts, and total injured counts will eventually be. It could get way worse than the "optimistic" claims of the media.

At the least, I would like to have a website that lists all of the toxic locations globally so that we can see what we live near by. Even illegal dump sites should be listed so we can keep track of everything.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This morning there was a picture up on a dutch news site with the finished emergency dam they build but they've taken it down. It's nothing more then a 'sand dam' and it's obviously a temp. solution. When the old dam breaks, which will happen sooner or later, the sand will hold most of it, but then what? The mud will sink into the dam? Leak through it? who knows...

that said, they are reopening the alluminium plant this weekend and it will continue like before as if nothing happened! The plant is in government hands now, they did say that first profits will be used to help the victims.
Today a 9th victim died....

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Lax laws led to Hungary's caustic flood

Could Have Been Avoided

Holes in European legislation are to blame for the tide of toxic red mud that escaped from an alumina plant in north-west Hungary last week, an expert in mining policy has told New Scientist.

Some 700,000 cubic metres of mine tailings escaped from the plant owned by MAL Magyar Alumínium when the concrete dam holding back the corrosive waste burst on 4 October. The mixture includes iron oxide, giving it its characteristic red colour, and highly caustic hydroxides.

Paul Younger of Newcastle University, UK, says the tailings would not have escaped if the failed dam had been backed up by a second wall. This kind of double containment is standard practice around the world for the storage of many hazardous industrial materials, but European Union legislation does not require it for mine waste.

"The mining industry in Europe has been brilliant at avoiding regulation," Younger told New Scientist. "This is the result." The sludge flooded several towns, killing at least nine people and injuring more than 100. It has also entered the river Marcal, apparently killing all wildlife there, and has now reached the Danube.

God Bless the European Union. On that note, god bless the North American Union, South African Trade Union and any othe union in the pipeline, they are just what the world needs.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Are we safe now? Funny how soon as something drops out of the news no-one thinks twice. The miners have been saved now, nothing to see here.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

LOL... that so true

I must admit that i was stunned by the amount of news coverage for the miners. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that it was a great story of human courage and effort...and I don’t mean to make light of it... But it was on the news 24/7!!!

I did wonder of the coverage was a distraction from something far more serious, politically motivated, or simply lazy journalism.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

All of the above Muckster, all of the above. The news in the UK is mind numbing. The only news broadcast worth watching is Channel 4s'. They do great stories, especially on the business front, and they interview people the other stations (especially sky news) never will. Couples with Despatches, Unreported World & ... I can't remember the third one... you actually do learn something.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Who's the bloody genius that decided to site a toxic waste dump right on the banks of the river?

Was it inconceivable that the banks may give way? Or that the river level would rise during a flood and empty the poison out that way?

Really clever.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
What I don't understand is why doesn't the E.U. move to help them
stop the dam from breaking? They could obviously learn something from
the Russians. When chernobl exploded in the Ukraine, the Russians
moved in with everything they had at the expense of many lives however
they saved countless others. Shame on you E.U.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Wow... that opens up a whole new conspiracy theory!!!!

Maybe they wanted to dump the toxic sludge into the river in the first place and thought that this might be the way to get around heavier punishments...

"Ooops, the wall broke, what a tragedy"

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

Have you read the link I posted above?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
*bump

..any news on this? Seems impossible to find anything! Weird for an event of this scale to go under so quickly, so creeping smoothly

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I can't believe how fast this one was swept under the rug.

Did the dam ever break like people were afraid it would? Was there ever a second flood?

We just have no information, and the media sucks for not reporting much about it.
The media has dropped the ball they aren't doing their jobs.

This was probably worse than the BP spill in the Gulf, and yet no one cared. Why?

Why does no one care? Hungarians are human too!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join