It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and the workplace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I have a friend that works for the post office and his wife is a school teacher. She was unemployed until a few weeks ago and over the summer someone on her Facebook page made a comment about 70% of black people that attend University of Phoenix online graduate. She responded by saying since it is online they probably have someone else do the work for them. Someone on her page took offense and reported it to her school board. She is currently in a meeting and she called her husband a few minutes ago and said her union rep told her she will probably lose her job and because her husband is a federal employee his job is in jeopardy as well. He got a call from his union rep earlier this morning and they are serious about the two of them losing their jobs over Facebook comments that happened over the summer.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Sorry to hear that. But lesson #1 one in a free society...don't work for the government! Governments, by virtue of purpose, do not serve freedom. Good luck to them. Hope they find a more fulfilling job in the private sector.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes, regrettable situation that easily could have been avoided if the person in question had been a bit more discerning in what was allowed to stay on her page and what she, herself, wrote on her page. Anyone who does not know that FB and other social site content can impact one's job (by now) has been living under a rock. Personal accountability. Lesson learned.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
.....and the moral of the story....do not EVER say anything online that you are not willing for anyone and everyone to know about. Sounds like she is not too internet savvy and feels that she can say whatever she wants without repercussions. Shocked that an adult does not know this by now.
And she is, er was, teaching kids?
edit on October 6th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
.....and the moral of the story....do not EVER say anything online that you are not willing for anyone and everyone to know about. Sounds like she is not too internet savy and feels that she can say whatever she wants.

Well, you should always say what you want, when you want, and how you want. Just don't work for an organization that wants to run your private life. Simple as that. We're tiny pawns already, being a private citizen. Joining the government workforce narrows your privacy to virtually nothing. Nothing good can come of it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
She needs to get a good lawyer and one that specializes in civil rights.

Actually the husband needs a better lawyer than the wif if her comments can cause him to be fired.

On the wife's comment I would not blame them if they did fire her, she probably has a morals clause (I hoep teachers do, they are around our kids) that says racism is forbiden. Her comment was racist. Or it sounded racist.

My dad was a postmaster and I sid a lot of crazy things, still do, and nothing my dad's family did EVER had one lick to do with his job. I do not think the husband should lose his job, but the wife may not have a choice.

Lesson?

Watch what you say on Facebook.

Why is a techer making such a nasty comment about blacks anyway? Is there anyway you can ask her that?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

Can you blame people for taking a cushy, well-paid job?

Don't tell me that you would never take a government job. What if you were unemployed and the only jobs available were lowly-paying service jobs?

I'll never understand the stigma over government jobs. At least people have jobs!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wow,,, I would've expected alot better from people on this board. Her comment was not racist. It was true about most people that attend online schooling. There is noone there to assure that people don't cheat. She was referring to everyone in online schooling. That should not ever be allowed to affect her job. The same as the fellow in New York that was fired from his job because he attended a protest at ground zero.
The USA has become a country full of sissies that whine and moan about everything and are always out for retribution for something. It's basicly gotten to the point in this country that if you look at someone wrong they'll either sue you or try and get you fired, and God forbid you ever make a comment about a black, muslim, or homosexual,,,, because as we all know, those subjects are taboo. The entertainment industry bleeps out the word 'n-word', but not GD,,,, I'm disgusted.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

She has the right to say what she wants.

She just has to face the consequences.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I should have siad perceived to be racist, since it came on the heels of the 70 percent black remark.

You had an expectation when you posted this? Of what? I havent seen one single untoward response yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by greeneyedleo

She has the right to say what she wants.

She just has to face the consequences.

Yes I know this. I never said she didnt have the right. I said that the moral is: dont post anything you do not want anyone and everyone to know.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
someone on her Facebook page made a comment about 70% of black people that attend University of Phoenix online graduate. She responded by saying since it is online they probably have someone else do the work for them.

Huh?! ... seems rather innocuous without having further details ... even then, a bit ridiculous.

It's all about the context, and how in hades can anyone gauge or discern the overall context of such a response from that general a mention or missive?

Was she merely replying to the "70% ... who attend graduate" aspect? ... as I see no mention of "black" in her supposed reply.

Did she specifically imply or reference "blacks" in her response? ... as in Well, being "black", and it's online, they probably have someone else do it for them.?

I'm not seeing where either the school board Or her husband's union/employer would have a leg to stand on to even consider the matter as an issue.

Void any further details, with regards specifics (wording) and/or demonstrable intent ... just not seeing it. (?)

edit on 10/6/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: imply or reference

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yeah this does sound far-fetched...

I think its pretty ridiculous people visit Facebook when looking for staff and employees!

When does ones private life come into work unless your sleeping with someone in the workplace

edit on 6-10-2010 by insubordinate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by insubordinate

Exactly, what I do or say in my off time has no bearing on my job at all. As a matter of fact it's none of my employer's business if I'm not on their clock what I do. My current employer actually threatened me because I would not accept his friend request for Facebook. I told him I don't mix my job and personal life and it would be best if we didn't go that route. It's none of their business. Besides, it's all in context. If you go looking for racism, you will find it wherever you look.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

My private job pays for their public job. That's the stigma

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Its a known fact that people who say things on facebook, myspace, and other public crap like that have been fired for whatever they say bad about something..

There was a case a lil while ago where this chick said something bad about the company she worked for and she ended up being fired..

This is why you dont say anything if you dont want someone to find out and back it up with proof that you said this..

Facebook and other media forms like that(even ATS) can cause a person to be fired if they talk crap on someone or something...

I dont say anything to offend someone exp on a facebook setting because it can and probably will come back to haunt me later in life.. So.. I keep my mouth shut about what I have to say..

ATS here.. I have made the decision to be open about what I dont like and hate about society, I am sure one day it will bite me on the ass because I dont believe in what someone else does but in reality.. I am who I am and that is that.. If i get fired for my beliefs then so be it.. But here I use this nick because it dont affiliate me with any other nicks on the internet...

Anyway moral dont say things on a public setting that will stir up trouble..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here watch this.. 5 ways you can get fired from facebook..
www.slideshare.net...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Anything we post online (including on ATS) becomes public domain.

She posted something on her Facebook page under her own name? Therefore this means that this becomes her official viewpoint, and anything she posts becomes part of her record.

Unfortunate about her position, but she bought this upon herself with her bigoted comments. People have to understand that things they say in private (or in public domain) can reflect in their professional lives.

There is no place for this type of person in our school system.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This video explains, in detail, why..

new topics

top topics

join