It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I the 'center of the universe'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I don’t know quite how to explain this. I will fumble around it. I hope you will bear with me. I don’t think this is a ‘paranormal’ experience per se, but I suspect it is related. Since I was a small child, ever since I can remember at all, I have had the perception that the universe starts with me. I am at the center of it. I don’t mean this in an egotistical sense in that I think myself more important than anyone else. I mean it in the technical sense. “I” sense the world from somewhere behind my eyes. Everything else in the world is an ‘other.’ I can interact with these ‘others’ whether they be other humans, dogs, plants, carpets, chairs, or houses, but the fact is the center of the universe moves as I move. It can be sitting in an airplane traveling across the globe or sitting on a couch typing this note.

The thing is, if everyone else experiences the universe the same way, if this is simply an ‘artifact of perception and consciousness’ shared by everyone else who perceives they are the center of the universe, not me, why doesn’t anyone else talk about this? No one does. No one seems bothered by it. They seem content to be an ‘other.’ They seem oblivious to the issue.

My life has been no different than anyone else’s. I’ve had some successes and some failures. I’ve had some pain and some pleasure. I don’t consider myself more accomplished than other people and less accomplished than many. I’ve been privileged to be able to see a bit of the world. I’ve been lucky in some respects. I’m comfortable. I don’t think this is a mental illness issue. Other than being somewhat misanthropic I function normally. I’m happily married and my dog loves me.

But this feeling of centered consciousness is extremely strong. There is something different here and I don’t understand what it is. If there’s some sort of ‘mission’ involved, it had better show itself pretty quickly because time is running out. I expect to ‘survive death,’ and from what I have been able to discern about the setup of this whole thing, I don’t like it very much—but that’s another issue.

My real issue is trying to figure out why this perception is so strong and why no one else wants to talk about it. I have never been able to explain this sufficiently well to anyone. They usually say ‘well, gee, that’s interesting, I dunno.’ Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Could it be you have more senses then most? Like how some can see colors, or words, and even know what they smell and taste like. Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
very interesting. i have never really heard it put in those exact words, but i dont feel like you're alone in your perception. i have had certain experiences which put me in the same place. i believe every living being (including plants and animals) has this "connection" and it is all just a matter of what your mind makes of it. i like to call it God...there are many others who would call it something else but if you can feel it then my friend that is special.

btw

I’ve had some successes and some failures. I’ve had some pain and some pleasure.

that would make for a great song

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Sounds like it's most likely either Narcissism or Solipsism. So long as it doesn't cause problems for you, just consider it a part of your character and don't worry about it. However, if you begin to view the "others" with more than simple indifference, it's probably time to address it with a counsellor.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Personally I think this is an illusion cast by your own consciousness. You are most likely a deep thinker and worry about things that never crosses other people's minds - except in passing. Buddhism says there is no self, that it is ALL an illusion. Most other religions indicate a soul or spirit of some kind in the body that is the seat of consciousness. It's easy to believe (if I'm getting you right) you're the center of everything when your consciousness soaks up everything you do on a daily basis. I don't know if what you believe happens after death may have some bearing on what you're experiencing. It may. At the very least you sound like a very self-aware type of person. I'll respond with more as time permits.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You are right. We all the center of the universe because the universe is in the mind. Read my sig! lol.... Good post.... Try not to think about it to much, it will come to you...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The world around you is shaped by how you perceive your reality to be. You are the center, the ends, and the dead space. You are your universe, and your universe is you.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
*The mystery of inequality

I am 50% of everything I perceive.

In my interactions with the world I have influence,
and I can affect the way things turn out, and things affect me.

So If I am half of the reality I am experiencing... who are all these others.

If we take just the human population of earth, that's around 6 billion fifty percents.

Why would my entire lifelong experience of being half of any situation
cause me to believe that 3 billion percent of reality is caused
by us humans. Don't insects have a larger impact,
don't plants, doesn't air, and what about light?

I'm actually 1 out of 6 billion percent?
On the mammal scale only.
If we add in dust,
I'm not even
measure-
able.

David Grouchy

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

The human is just the method of experience. The mind could interpreted be as god, or a universal creator.

In other words, you are experiencing yourself through your current version of yourself. Right?

Paradigm
edit on 6-10-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
you could have a strong soul or and old soul, start meditating and searching for truth to awaken your soul.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fallinstar

How can you have an "old" soul, when reportedly, the soul is timeless? So mybe he has the whole soul instead...
Huge difference in understanding.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

true but an old soul has been awakened and progressed over many lives. unlike the typical human.

btw its more as a term, i think the op will understand this.
edit on 6-10-2010 by fallinstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fallinstar

So you are saying the span of life and the process of creation is that we enter into each life and evolve into another life force by process of reincarnation, starting with life 1 and ending with life 99999999? Then at this point we are a complete lifeforce entity with the ability to create as we wish with full knowledge of the world?

icic

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Hi schuyler-

I decided to start a thread on how we are infinite after seeing you post that you made. I put on the top my reason for doing this along with your name and a link to this post you started. I felt that there was alot of info I wanted to try and get out there and thought a new post would be the best way. Here is what I put in that post. I hope you have a great day!!

The reason most people don't talk about this is because of so many peoples stong belief in different religions.

See, this is the way I look at things. We are all infinite creatures. The problem is so many religions try and make us follow one rule, the rule of "God" and in my opinion either man made or alien made.

In this thought we are the servants and "God" is the ruler and the only infinite is "God"

Our universe was built from opposites. In order to have life you must have reactions good or bad but they must exist and in order for life to begin you must have an opposite life/death for example

Opposites can also be looked at as positive and negative and we have math to help answer this for us, it goes like this...

1 x 1 = 1
1 x -1 = -1
-1 x -1 = 1

That is 2/3 positive and 1/3 negative 66.6666 (infinite) and 33.3333 (infinite) with 0.0001 (infinite) left over

although all 3 have a different percent they are all infinite which also shows that everything in the universe is infinite including us.

We are 0.0001 (infinite) to the universe
The sun is 0.0001 (infinite) to the universe
Any solar system is 0.0001 (infinite) to the universe
Any galaxy is 0.0001 (infinite) to the universe
Anything that can be measured in our universe is 0.0001 (infinite) to the universe
The universe is 0.0001 (infinite) to everything outside our universe and so on and so on an infinite number of times.

You can have an infinite number of infinites at a time as long as one doesn't interfere with the others infinite self.

What I mean by that is if you and I are born and interact with each other you can harm or kill me but not my infinite self. My infinite self was started a long long long long almost infinite time ago. We are here right now because we are infinite. Think of a star, even if that star explodes its energy is still infinite will be here as long as our infinite universe is here. The same goes for us and our energy, it will never go away, we have and are infinite energy.

number one, you are already infinite if you are here right now because you have in fact changed something in our universe that can't be removed therefore it will always be here infinitely as long as our universe.

With that being said we ourselves are in fact infinite. Also, If you can understand the math and how infinites work, each energy would be there "Own" universe. When you look at size there is always going to be an end, however infinite has no "Size" no "time" just infinite.

We do not have a "size" only what we label as size. We are made up of atoms which are 0.0001 (infinite) to the "size" of us. We are also made up of positive and negative feelings and attitudes, does this seem like something I talked about earlier? Positive and negative? 2/3 positive, 1/3 negative with 0.0001 (infinite) left over?

We are shown some facts and the problem is no one wants to listen because of there "beliefs"

In my opinion this does not throw away the fact of a "God" I think it proves that there is a "God" just not what all religions paint a picture of which is why most people don't want to listen.

So we are in fact infinite, and I also feel we have so much more to teach ourselves but we limit our thinking by not thinking we are infinite. If you live once you are "infinite" period.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

no i didnt say that i was giving the op a suggestion to his question.

but to answer your question, yes this is what i think to some extent

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I liked the mathematical response above. I'll have to chew on it for awhile before I make a more detailed response. It confused me, and while that is no great task, it still got my attention. It pretty much summed up what I was going to reply without the numbers being involved.

You and everyone reading this exist. The proof that you exist once should be proof enough that you can exist again. A lot of people say that our consciousness is nothing more than a chemical reaction in our brains, but how is is US? How are WE aware of this reaction as opposed to someone else? Why do we perceive it? Why am I seeing the world through these eyes instead of someone else if we're all chemically the same inside (for the most part)? Everything in nature is recycled, in time, into something else. It's my belief that consciousness is part of this.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sykickvision
I liked the mathematical response above. I'll have to chew on it for awhile before I make a more detailed response. It confused me, and while that is no great task, it still got my attention. It pretty much summed up what I was going to reply without the numbers being involved.

You and everyone reading this exist. The proof that you exist once should be proof enough that you can exist again. A lot of people say that our consciousness is nothing more than a chemical reaction in our brains, but how is is US? How are WE aware of this reaction as opposed to someone else? Why do we perceive it? Why am I seeing the world through these eyes instead of someone else if we're all chemically the same inside (for the most part)? Everything in nature is recycled, in time, into something else. It's my belief that consciousness is part of this.

If we saw everything though others thoughts or eyes it would confuse us even more. We need the "single" so we can perceive our infinite self. I feel that once we perceive our infinite self and understand this more we will then be able to move to the next level of conscious. We all talk to ourselves on one level or another, maybe we tap into others conscious?

I find it funny that so many people pray to "God" but do they actually listen for a response? If you hear a response in your head is that "God" or yourself? I feel that if you are open and listen anything is possible and that is the next level of existence. We are after all connected to everything, shouldn't we also be connected to other things besides what we can touch, hear, or see? I can't "See" my mind but that doesn't mean I don't think..

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Greetings schuyler.
I assure you that you are not an absolute center and I am not an absolute "other."

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Greetings schuyler.
I assure you that you are not an absolute center and I am not an absolute "other."

Hello Sahabi-

When you die and your cells break down and are eaten by other energies, is that still not your energy they are eating?
When you go to the bathroom and release your waste that was part of you does it just disappear?
When you die and can no longer speak to the world do your thoughts that you gave others vanish?
Are you not the center of "your" universe? Are you not infinite?

Added- Each movement that we create, creates a new infinite
edit on 6-10-2010 by Trudge because: added my infinite thought

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

Peace be upon you Trudge!
I have believed for some time now that my matter and my energy are immortal. Each atomic structure that bonds to me and each atomic structure that I release makes me part of the oneness. Each thought, each word, and each action makes me co-creator / sub-creator.

I simply replied to the OP where it was stated that schuyler (thread creator) was the center of the universe and I am an "other." A more appropriate statement would be, "We are each the centers of our experience."

Now, if schuyler truly was the center of the universe, wouldn't that make me a figment of his creative imagination? Or is he the figment of my creative imagination?

Each individual has their own unique experience in this existence. According to schuyler's concept of Truth and Reality, perhaps he is the center of The universe. But in my opinion he is either tapping into the oneness, or as adjensen said;

Originally posted by adjensen
Sounds like it's most likely either Narcissism or Solipsism. So long as it doesn't cause problems for you, just consider it a part of your character and don't worry about it. However, if you begin to view the "others" with more than simple indifference, it's probably time to address it with a counsellor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join