It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find 200 new species in Papua New Guinea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Scientists on Wednesday unveiled a spectacular array of more than 200 new species discovered in the Pacific islands of Papua New Guinea, including a white-tailed mouse and a tiny, long-snouted frog.
The survey of remote New Britain island and the Southern Highlands ranges, accessible only by a combination of small plane, dinghy, helicopter and foot, found an exciting range of new mammals, amphibians, insects and plants.

When I see finds like this, I always think to the vast amount of ocean that sits unexplored... I would say that the unknown species must be in the millions. Some of these finds are not that unique, but others are simply amazing.

I love this planet!

www.breitbart.com...< br />
Link To Story
edit on 6-10-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
WOW!

Just goes to show how little we have actually discovered on this planet! I hope one day we will stop cutting down rainforests! Who knows how many species we have wiped out already!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Damn, my thread was closed because I didn't see this one already. Either way, I'm glad more people posted it as this should be noticed! It's amazing that there remains to be such a large amount of species on this planet that remain undiscovered.

This planet is just full of life, it's insane.

S&F

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

I just did another thread on the mekong area.. 100 + new species..

Look at all of the new species we are finding that are alive and running around...

Imagine how much we havent discovered that is buried (fossils-bones) all over the globe.. I am sure there are millions of species that have gone extinct that we are yet to find a trace of.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Very cool Mobius 1974! I did a similar thread today too:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Always dig the nature stuff, thanks!

spec

top topics

join