It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATLANTIS FOUND near Florida (my theory)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Ben81
reply to post by JimIrie

but we dont know what type of technology they had ...

Yes we do.

Their technology was poor enough that the armies of Athens beat them. That's in Plato.

So that means no moving cities, no flying vehicles, no laser weapons, no weapons of mass destruction bombs. Given Plato's time frame, that means that Greeks, armed only with flint tipped spears and slings (the most common weapon.. .no bows back then) defeated them. The horse hadn't been tamed, so no horseback riders.

An army of rock-flinging, club wielding, spear carriers.

That's what is in Plato.

Maybe plato .. didnt want them to be found
or their advanced technology to be stolen

Atlantis was one of the most ancient advanced civilization in the world
how come they builded a mighty city .. but their weapons for self defense were poor ..
i dont know .. there is many related mistery concerning Atlantis

in my head ..
Atlantis = Advanced society

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

in my head

You've managed to sum up your entire thread in just three words. Bravo!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

in my head

You've managed to sum up your entire thread in just three words. Bravo!

im french .. i was meaning since the begining of time we know all of this
old atlantis stories ... painted picture of atlantis etc etc ...

so yes in my head ... its a powerfull city
in many heads to lol

in my head it still lost to
in my head it still on earth
in my head it is in the Atlantic ocean

its a french expression

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Let's look at the myth of Atlantis. The first documented mention of it is in Plato's Timaeus and Critias. In these dialogues Critias mentions a story Solon (who died over 100 years before Plato was born) that he heard while in Egypt. So, if taken at face value Plato is receiving this story at least fourth hand (this assumes Critias was somehow able to hear the story directly from Solon, and that the Egyptian was an eyewitness). So, even then the story is degraded greatly. However, the events in Plato's Dialogues actually never happened. They were simply a way to express his philosophy. The message he is trying to express with these two dialogues is his opinion on what the ideal state would be. Essentially they are an updated and abridged version of The Republic.

So, we can either look at the Atlantis myth as an unsourced story that in all of antiquity is only mentioned in these two dialogues, or we can look at it being an allegory, like all of the other dialogues, that expresses Plato's views while praising the city he lived in. Either way the likelihood that a physical Atlantis ever existed are slim to none. This is a fact that the people of Plato's time grasped and in fact a belief in a physical Atlantis is quite modern.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I would like to add that you hear always from people of the Forbidden Archeology branch rumors of the disappaerance of evidence of a prior much more advanced civilization, by the conventional Archeology.

Here on ATS you will find tons of information and debunking of such things.

It came to my mind if Plato was a Whistleblower of his era. And the only reason for putting the Atlantis story as a Myth like Minotaurs or a Pegasus is just for mantaining it a secret. The knowdledge for always in hands of TPTB.

About for our hidden past its sad. Then it is up to them and because that we will never known.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

we really need to put a scale with the correct age
to know who came before and after

it will serve has a basis in the research of facts on Atlantis

Egyptian timeline: LINK
Mesoamerican timeline: LINK

You know, there's this thing online called "Google"...

EDITED to add:

It's unlikely that there was any civilization in Greenland in 10,500 BC.

It was covered in ice then and for a long time before (and after) that.

Not to mention the tale states that Atlantis conquered all the countries lining the Mediterreanean Sea. Why would anyone come from Greenland to do that?

Sorry, there's no such thing as Ley lines.

Harte
edit on 10/6/2010 by Harte because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...

I found this on Greenland, and there seems to be a possibility of Atlantis due to the ancient human activity there.

In prehistoric times Greenland was home to several successive Paleo-Eskimo cultures known primarily through archaeological findings. The earliest entry of the Inuit into Greenland is thought to have occurred about 2500 BC. From around 2500 BC to 800 BC, southern and western Greenland was inhabited by the Saqqaq culture. Most findings of Saqqaq period archaeological remains have been around Disko Bay. From 2400 BC to 1300 BC the Independence I culture existed in northern Greenland. It was a part of the Arctic small tool tradition.

edit on 8-10-2010 by Tribble because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Maybe plato .. didnt want them to be found
or their advanced technology to be stolen

If that was the case, why was the "advanced technology" defeatable by stones and slings? And where's the evidence of the "advanced technology" (Plato said they conquered most of Greece.) Why wasn't their defeat celebrated by songs and statues in Athens (as was the case with the Trojan War, which was long thought to be merely myth.)

Atlantis was one of the most ancient advanced civilization in the world
how come they builded a mighty city .. but their weapons for self defense were poor ..
i dont know .. there is many related mistery concerning Atlantis

If you look at Plato, what he describes is an idealized Greek city, complete with racetracks for horses (he says) that ran around the rings of the islands. There are other clues that he's talking about an idealized state that didn't exist (such as horses were domesticated in Mongolia around 4,000 BC (about the time the Egyptian empire began).)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
I found this on Greenland, and there seems to be a possibility of Atlantis due to the ancient human activity there.

In prehistoric times Greenland was home to several successive Paleo-Eskimo cultures known primarily through archaeological findings. The earliest entry of the Inuit into Greenland is thought to have occurred about 2500 BC. From around 2500 BC to 800 BC, southern and western Greenland was inhabited by the Saqqaq culture. Most findings of Saqqaq period archaeological remains have been around Disko Bay. From 2400 BC to 1300 BC the Independence I culture existed in northern Greenland. It was a part of the Arctic small tool tradition.

Problem with this is that Atlantis had elephants, according to Plato. And the time period for the Inuit (which was after the pyramids were built in Egypt) isn't 9500 BC. Mammoths had died off (the last surviving group was on an island in California and two in Siberia) about a thousand years before that

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

mammoths in estonia at 8000bc

was this proven to be incorrect?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

If that was the case, why was the "advanced technology" defeatable by stones and slings? And where's the evidence of the "advanced technology" (Plato said they conquered most of Greece.) Why wasn't their defeat celebrated by songs and statues in Athens (as was the case with the Trojan War, which was long thought to be merely myth.)

greek mythology speaks of this "war" as a debate over whether its to be cows or crops for the people of athens. because they actually couldn't have aurochs they deciding for crops. leave it to the egyptians to add the sinister slant. the history of aurochs and cows in southern greece is an interesting one. matches up very nicely to the story.

Originally posted by ByrdIf you look at Plato, what he describes is an idealized Greek city, complete with racetracks for horses (he says) that ran around the rings of the islands. There are other clues that he's talking about an idealized state that didn't exist (such as horses were domesticated in Mongolia around 4,000 BC (about the time the Egyptian empire began).)

in ancient greece plato was accused of plagarizing zoroaster. what he rewrites is the story of yima. plato even includes gades just to seal the deal.

there are paleolithic horsehead figurines what seem to be bridled?? and this guy

is alot older than 4ky bc

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

"-----Plato also refers to a main plain of the island that is 2,000 by 3,000 stadia. That plain extends down to the water and is surrounded by mountains. Now the exact size of a "stadia" is disputed. However an approximate size is 200 meters or 600 feet. This about 230 miles by 345 miles. That is a large plain. It is almost the size of Spain. If you put mountains around it and maybe just a little other land then it comes to the size of the Iberian peninsula of Spain and Portugal.-----"

How does that (physically) fit inside of the Mediterranean sea? I would think there would be some found evidence.
With all of the exploration that has been done, and only lesser advanced evidence found.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DemonSpeedN
reply to post by Harte

How bout we agree to disagree and you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. Cause neither of us can prove one way or another what is true and what is false.

You can believe what you want.

But everything in my post can easily be proven by reading Plato's two Dialogues - Timaeus and Critias - so speak for yourself concerning what what we "can prove...is true (or) false."

Harte

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Just cause its in a book doesnt make it true, sure you can use it to support your idea but its not a very good support. Things that are said in a book could be mistranslated, could be speculative, could be heresay, theres lots of things. So yea you can prove that what you said is in a book but you cant prove its true by some scientific method or otherwise unless you actually asked Plato in person.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I know there is AN Atlantis... Aztecs had it their legends ...so did the Turks and Plato with the Greeks. In Japan it's a similar story and in some parts of Africa and the Middle East and around Cuba. So there is an Atlantis, I'm convinced there is just like there are pyramids and similar religious views all around the world that happened around the same time frame. I just don't know where or what Atlantis is. Maybe there was regard to it in the ancient library in one of the Giza pyramids but all the information is mysteriously gone.

What are TPTB hiding? What's so dangerous about Atlantis?...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Here is a guy who is absolutely convinced that Atlantis is in Antarctica. He thinks there is historical evidence the Earth was tipped over a quarter turn on its axis. Perhaps, or perhaps not.

oilismastery.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

This guy made a blog for the ages. I think it took a team of ten to put it together.

Greenland ~ Atlantis

a7lan7is.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DemonSpeedN
reply to post by Harte

Just cause its in a book doesnt make it true, sure you can use it to support your idea but its not a very good support.

This argument might have some merit except for the fact that everything I said was in reference to what is in the two of Plato's Dialogues that mention Atlantis.

So, no, what I said is unassailable fact,.

Maybe you've confused me with someone else.

Things that are said in a book could be mistranslated, could be speculative, could be heresay, theres lots of things. So yea you can prove that what you said is in a book but you cant prove its true by some scientific method or otherwise unless you actually asked Plato in person.

We have what Plato wrote. I posted about what Plato wrote.

Sorry you don't want to agree with Plato concerning his own writings.

Harte

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
I know there is AN Atlantis... Aztecs had it their legends ...so did the Turks and Plato with the Greeks. In Japan it's a similar story and in some parts of Africa and the Middle East and around Cuba.

Nothing remotely resembling Atlantis appears in any cuture's mythology. Not even Greek.

Harte

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Apparently there are a lot of people who have a lot of different ideas where Atlantis might be found. Is there any actual historical evidence that the place even existed though?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux
Apparently there are a lot of people who have a lot of different ideas where Atlantis might be found. Is there any actual historical evidence that the place even existed though?

There is not a single whit of evidence that has been found anywhere on Earth for the existence of any anthropologically categorized civilization existing before that of Sumer, sometime around 3500 BC.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join