It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite famous Speech?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
There have been various numerous and famous people. Ranging from politics, religion, and what not. I would like to see what Speech get's you wild up more then others or keeps that catchy tune these many years since you heard it or at least read about in books.

My favorite speech is by RFK! The reason I enjoy this speech because it is filled with emotion, hope, faith, knowledge and everything else all rolled into one. MLK Jr. was just killed and RFK's speech calmed the crowd down.
Robert F. Kennedy

I can't listen to this speech without crying. It's so great and sad.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
One of my favorites.NOt that famous but a good speech to the US senate.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
We are on the same wave length, OP, because my all time favorite speech (although some of JFK's run a close second) is Martin Luther King, Jr.s, "Silence is Betrayal" anti-war speech. When I listen to it, it's so relevant today it's very eerie. Also, when I think of that era, I'm amazed at the kind of courage MLK had to say those things--when America was still kinda innocent and very naive. This video brings a tear to my eye.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

BAM!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Ron Paul is a little cutie pie.
Lol. I don't much about Ron Paul. interesting character.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Ugie1028, I like that one, too. Not too many guys around nowadays that give those kind of speeches that will be remembered.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Romantic, Ron Paul is like a cute little grandpa-type, and he's been fighting this battle for decades, most of the time all by himself. Doesn't seem like many of the others have that kind of courage. He knows his stuff, and I have yet to see someone get one over on him.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You got that right. He is an interesting character. I have my doubts about him since he is a politician but is the only one out there who isn't afraid of telling the truth... even if its just scratching the surface.

reply to post by NightGypsy

Ron Paul has a flaw... and albeit a big one. He is a politician. I have suspected that he only vents out certain truths to appease his audience and appease the concerned constitutionalists. But this speech (with music which is an awesome kicker) is true on a lot of fronts. It was very touching, and hit home for me.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
George Galloway is a fantastic talker. Love him or hate him, he can SPEAK.

I watched Born on the 4th of July lat night. Ron Kovic's (Tom Cruise) speech was amazing. "We are the yankee doodle dandie's come home". In the background Nixon is celebrating 4 more years and saying how they're looking after those boys in Vietnam, while outside the boys who have come home from Vietnam are being gassed and beaten up by police.

edit on 6-10-2010 by wigit because: spell

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
most fav movie speech... (sorry if off topic..)

this one was for u UFO people

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Interesting to see how the crowd were calling out the vietnam vets as they were being led out calling them commies.Things havn't changed much. Get in the way of the USA and your a Commie.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
"You have ransacked every corner of Lower Saxony; but forty thousand German boors never can conquer ten times the number of British freemen. You may ravage—you cannot conquer; it is impossible: you cannot conquer the Americans. You talk, my Lords, of your friends among them to annihilate the Congress, and of your powerful forces to disperse their army: I might as well talk of driving them before me with this crutch! ...If you conquer them, what then? You cannot make them respect you; you cannot make them wear your cloth: you will plant an invincible hatred in their breasts against you. Coming from the stock they do, they can never respect you...

I know that the conquest of English America is an impossibility. You cannot, I venture to say it, you CANNOT conquer America...As to conquest, therefore, my Lords, I repeat, it is impossible. You may swell every expense, and every effort, still more extravagantly; pile and accumulate every assistance you can buy or borrow; traffic and barter with every little pitiful German Prince, that sells and sends his subjects to the shambles of a foreign country; your efforts are for ever vain and impotent—doubly so from this mercenary aid on which you rely; for it irritates, to an incurable resentment, the minds of your enemies—to overrun them with the sordid sons of rapine and plunder; devoting them and their possessions to the rapacity of hireling cruelty! If I were an American, as I am an Englishman, while a foreign troop was landed in my country, I never would lay down my arms, never! never! never! ...I call upon the honour of your Lordships to reverence the dignity of your ancestors, and to maintain your own. I call upon the spirit and humanity of my country to vindicate the national character. I invoke the genius of the constitution. From the tapestry that adorns these walls, the immortal ancestor of this noble Lord frowns with indignation at THE DISGRACE OF HIS COUNTRY! In vain he led your victorious fleets against the boasted Armada of Spain; in vain he defended and established the honour, the liberties, the religion, the Protestant religion of his country, against the arbitrary cruelties of Popery and the Inquisition." – William Pitt (Elder)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Its where I get my Signature from, they played this at my Basic Traininig graduation, STILL gives me chills and chokes me up, even after 20 years
General Douglas MacArthur gave this speech at West Point for his Thayer Award Acceptance Address

edit on 10/7/2010 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"I have a dream", because I basically grew up in a neighboorhood where the resting MLK dream came true and it was a great thing to experience. Sad he was hated for forseeing such a beautiful dream, but atleast his spirit is safe. Good question Romantic_Rebel

edit on 10/7/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There were a couple of good speeches by Plato that I admire...but as far as modern times...I guess my favorite was Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the Nation. It was so forebodingly insightful, fraught with a sense of idealism sacrificed to the reluctant acceptance of realism, an introspective acknowledgment of guilt in building a road straight to hell made entirely of good intentions, and a humbleness and humility in the realization that some things could not be undone once done. When studying American History I railed against Eisenhower and almost every single decision he made while in Office (he was long before my time), however upon hearing his Farewell Address to the Nation all of that changed, and I came to admire him as a great man who carried the burden of Sisyphus and was powerless to stop the outcome no matter how many times he may have tried.

(Kram09 beat me to it!)
edit on 7-10-2010 by fraterormus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join