It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Court rejects new rules on media ownership

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
A U.S. appeals court refused on Thursday to allow loosened federal media rules on media ownership to take effect, dealing a blow to large media companies like News Corp. that are hoping to expand.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit said the new rules would not take effect until the Federal Communications Commission better explained how it came up with them.

cnn.netscape.cnn.com...

The ruling is a victory for those who believe that a consolidated media is dangerous to an open society, and a blow to those who believe that cross ownership of media assets within a single market is the only way to compete with pay television.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I'm not a U.S. citizen, but if this pans out, then I'm happy for you. Media monopolies are an abomination IMO.

Here in Oz we have the Rupert Murdoch empire, same as you. Then we have Fairfax Press & little else.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I sure hope this holds up.

*points to ATSNN tab up top*
Having more choices in media is definately a good thing.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The issue of media monopolies is indeed a very important one. Just imagine trying to release the Michael Moore film in a one owner environement. If the owner does not agree with the content, then . . .

However, this decision does finish the issue. The court has asked the FCC to justify its rules changes. I imagine the FCC will provide a response to the court, then exercise its option of going to a higher court if this court does not agree with the new rules.

Interesting times.

new topics

top topics

join