It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids pay for lunch with fingerprint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

'Finger scan' system tested in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (CNN/KABC) - Kids in the school lunch line can point to what they want to eat, and point to pay for it too.

www.woodtv.com...

The way I see it, TPTB want to start using this technology on simple everyday things with kids at a young age so by the time they get older, it will be a lot easier and smoother to introduce this technology into more personal/private services. All personal data could be tracked and monitored with a push of a button What do you all think?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Some parents and the American Civil Liberties Union are worried about the kids' privacy. Students can opt out and instead type a seven-digit code onto a PIN pad.

Makes it seem a little less big brother. I understand the concern though. When everyone just starts accepting these measures what freedom do we really have?

I actually take most of these cases with a grain of salt, assuming (I KNOW what assume stands for) that it's just an easier way of accounting for meals purchased/consumed. To be realistic, it's pretty much the same as using a credit card to buy McDonalds. This is why I use cash.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Whatever else it may be it seems like a SERIOUS waste of time and money, setting up a hugely complex IT system to deal with a problem that no one was really worried about it the first place, I'm sure they could have thought of a cheaper and easier way of dealing with the fact that some kids are embarrassed about using meal tickets

Does this mean that the school bully will now have to steal your fingers instead of just your lunch money?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This is kinda old news...

www.p2pnet.net...

Elementary and high school students in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and West Virginia use finger scans to pay for lunch – and even to check into class. But in many other states, the parental outcry about privacy has stopped the technology in its tracks. Michigan and Iowa have passed laws essentially barring schools from taking electronic fingerprints of children. Last month, Illinois enacted a law requiring schools to get parental consent before capturing an image of a child’s finger.

Generally, student information collected by schools is protected by the federal government’s privacy laws. So schools can’t simply give away information gleaned from a student’s fingerprint. Still, many parents and privacy law experts remain anxious about records accessible to companies managing a school’s computer system — and whether that information can moved if that company is ever sold.

See here.. this has been done already in alot of states..

top topics

join