It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matt Welch: How To Slash The Government Before It Slashes You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
www.c-span.org...

Matt Welch, Editor in Chief at Reason Magazine discussed what he calls the danger of deficit spending and his plan to reduce government.

Reason's 14 Point Plan To Slash The Federal Budget

Overhaul Medicaid
Bring Troops Home
Erase Federal Education Spending
Slash State Budgets
End Defined-Benefit Pensions
Declare Defeat On Drug War
Cancel The Federal Communications Commission
Uproot Agricultural Subsidies
Unplug Department of Energy
Dismantle Davis-Bacon
Repeal The Stimulus
Spend Highway Funds On Highways
Privatize Public Land
End (or at least) Audit The Fed

I enjoyed this video for a few reason's, especially the questions asked to Matt Welch by the callers and tweeters.

So many subjects discussed, I feel Matt Welch did a great job but that's just me. Please take a moment to hear this. I hope you enjoy the video, simply because of the issues being discussed and the great questions asked.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
May I introduce you to Matt Welch. Having never heard of him before I hope to hear the opinions of others. Yes, I know, he's a Libertarian, no one is perfect right?

www.mattwelch.com...

Hi, my name's Matt Welch. Welcome to my site! This is the place where I keep most of the articles and columns I've written since early 1998, and a handful from before, divided up into all kinds of sub-categories you can see in the blue bar over on the left, or just plopped down in reverse chronological order directly below (though that list is incomplete). For a daily discussion of news events & whatever, please visit my weblog, and feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for coming, and have fun looking around!

en.wikipedia.org...

Matt Welch is an American blogger, journalist, and libertarian political pundit.[1][2] Since 2008, he has been the editor-in-chief at the monthly libertarian journal, Reason.[3] From 2006 to 2007, he was an editorial page editor for the Los Angeles Times.[4]

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

I am 7:51 into the video, just wanted to comment, that sooner or later we HAVE to talk about spending. Sorry, just increasing taxes to pay for federal government largesse, let alone government largesse in it's entirety, has to be done. Funny how the leftists talk about the corporations getting huge windfalls due to government intervention, never brings into the debate the government proponency of government workers making more than their private sector counterparts.

Will be back to comment after listening to the remainder.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
WOW, right at that moment, a caller suggested the Rothbard solution. WOW. Nice to see some informed callers!

edit to add- I thought I would add the Reason TV link-reason.tv...
edit on 5-10-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
At the 14:30 mark, he goes over the difference between private and public sector pensions. Now, you and I in the private sector, have to rely on true free market principles. The public sector though, even though they are required to put in certain amounts, the are GUARANTEED return on their investment.

Tell me folks, who do you think is going to pay for that? The free market, or us?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Alright, the next component, a republican caller asks about the Federal Reserve at 16:15. Seems to me that the Republican callers KNOW what the HELL the problem is.

Sorry OP, doing a running commentary, hope you do not mind.

The federal reserve is the root of all the problems. Remember what they said, once the government realizes they can buy votes by the printing of money, our currency is done. Anyway, back to the discussion.

edit to add- I see that this conversation is commensurate with common sense and real world problems, so I see that it will come to no fruition of solutions.

Thanks OP for the video, nothing new. It will all come down to common sense or the standard fare. We either do the right thing, or we do the left thing. LATER.
edit on 5-10-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Has anyone else watched the video?

Does anyone else attempted to understand the problems or do we just listen to the nomenclature?

join