It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutant Worms Produce Piles of Spider Silk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Mutant Worms Produce Piles of Spider Silk

www.wired.com

Snippets of spider genes let mutant silkworms spin silk stronger than steel. Scientists have coaxed miles of spider-like silk from a colony of transgenic silkworms, opening the door for large-scale production of super-strong, tough and flexible fibers.

“We can make a lot more silk from the silkworm process than you could possibly make from spiders,” said molecular biologist Malcolm Fraser of the University of Notre Dame.

Spider silk has long been hailed as a superfiber, useful for everything from surgical sutures to bulletproof vests to scaffolding for growing cartilage. But spider
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Wow. This is heavy duty. They are putting in the genes of spiders into silk worms so that they produce a silk that's almost as strong as kevlar!

Pretty dang cool. And cool too that they discovered a spider species that spins silk that's stronger than kevlar.

Wait till they get that integrated with their current silk producers. We'll all be wearing silky bullet proof jammies.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Awesome. I doubt it would effectively lead to bulletproof fabric for home wear, since the impact could still potentially damage organs even if it doesn't penetrate. It could lead to much stronger bullet proof vests though. A firm material with a layering of this silk, and boom, lightweight and cheap protection.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

dont let the sfyfy channel owners see this news story or here comes more lame movies on their channel

i honestly dont know what to think of this while i do see the benefits i think that mankind is playing with fire.....

too long in this worlds history has man tried to play god for the betterment of society and more often than naught it has done more harm than good.....

i just cringe at the thought of making muntants perhaps too many movies growing up.....im looking at the potential danger of these kinds of actions.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Cool thread S+F ....Now where do I get those Jimmy Jams from?

As usual you will see the military aplication first Halo 3 style Combats?..... and ofcourse the Security Forces kinda like Fifth Element........

This will be a quite important discovery for our everyday lives.....I started to list the possible applications.................I stopped counting it is endless.

edit on 5-10-2010 by DreamerOracle because: spelling

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I saw clips of Sharktopus. That was bad.

Hopefully this has some useful applications.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Wait till they get that integrated with their current silk producers. We'll all be wearing silky bullet proof jammies.

bullet will still go in, it will just be easier to pull out since its sheathed in a bulletproof silk pajama top.
i hope they dont escape and mate and evolve then we will have killer spiderworms with bulletproof super stronger than steel fortresses.

new topics

top topics

join