It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Prophecy Behind Glenn Beck's Message

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
huffingtonpost.com

In one of his first appearances on Fox News, Glenn Beck sent a coded message to the nation's six million Mormons -- or at least those Mormons who believe in what the Latter-day Saints call "the White Horse Prophecy."

"We are at the place where the Constitution hangs in the balance," Beck told Bill O'Reilly on November 14, 2008, just after President Obama's election. "I feel the Constitution is hanging in the balance right now, hanging by a thread unless the good Americans wake up."

The Constitution is hanging by a thread.

Most Americans would have heard this as just another bit of overblown commentary and thought nothing more of it. But to those familiar with the White Horse Prophecy, it was an unmistakable signal.

The phrase is often attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon Church. Smith is believed to have said in 1840 that when the Constitution hangs by a thread, elders of the Mormon Church will step in -- on the proverbial white horse -- to save the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Glenn Beck, of course, isn't the only one shouting that the Constitution is in serious danger from President Obama and others on the left. The threatened Constitution is a common thread in Tea Party rhetoric and is frequently found here on ATS.

What are the implications of this "White Horse" prophecy? Will it be self-fulfilling? Will Americans see the supposed threat as a demand for Mormons to step up and fulfill America's destiny? Or will it somehow be turned against them and cause a new wave of persecution?

I personally don't believe our Constitution is "hanging by a thread." That's just a bit of rhetoric which the right is using to try to frighten the American people into voting them back into power.

Whatever your opinion on the prophecy, it's an interesting read.

edit on 5-10-2010 by Sestias because: formatting looks odd to me

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Prophecy?

Oh my GOD. That was meant to be a joke by the way.

Tell me, did Obama intentionally leave out the component of the Declaration of Independence? Maybe prophecy has relevance.

I love this snippet-

The phrase is often attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon Church. Smith is believed to have said in 1840 that when the Constitution hangs by a thread, elders of the Mormon Church will step in -- on the proverbial white horse -- to save the country.

But then the author goes on to say this-

Large numbers of Mormons watch Beck, but likely an even larger number of his viewers and radio listeners are evangelical Protestants who have no idea that Beck is preaching to them an obscure prophecy of the Latter-day Saints -- a faith many conservative Christians malign as a cult. In addition to the coded allusions to the White Horse Prophecy, he often brings Mormon theology into his broadcasts (he touts the thinking of late church president Ezra Taft Benson and he frequently promotes the work Mormon conspiracy theorist Cleon Skousen) but without identifying them with the LDS church.

The author postulates it is factual and then goes onto commit further things that are not factual, just more conspiracy type rhetoric. Now, being a conspiracist I find conspiracy to be a very relevant component of discussion. You just need to use VALID postulates when it comes to conclusion.

Since the author uses components that he cannot prove, it seems that he uses the beginning of his thought on speculation. I think he would be chewed up and spit out here at ATS.

Especially the fact that many of his listeners have NOTHING to do with any of the branches of spirituality that he attempts to attribute.

And to end the article with this-

It was Glenn Beck in a nutshell: White Horse Prophecy meets horsemen of the apocalypse.

Seems to further my theorem that the author is an idiot.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If I was to pick a group to save America, I'd rather have Mormons than Marxist's SOB's.

New and improved second line, with more fluff !!!...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've encountered many Mormons in my life and all have been positive. While I am not religious I do believe the Constitution is hanging on by a thread at best and if it take some devout Mormons to save it more power to them. The is a reason why Mormonism is the fastest growing sect of Christianity.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Sestias,

The Constitution I believe is hanging on a thread but I'm sure the Mormons can not save it and I would rather believe the prophecy given to G. Washington, he was shown the three perils this country would go through and the third peril is a very dire one. It can be found by typing in George Washington vision on your search engine line. Pick one with little or no explanation. By any stretch of the imagination we are going to hit the bottom as low as it can go. No pleasant future that can be seen.

Truhiron

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was raised in the Mormon church --- left it when I was about 20. But I remember hearing that phrase very often, that one day the Constitution would be hanging by a thread.. when I started to hear this phrase in the media in the past couple of years, I have to admit it sent chills of fear through me. And then I felt angry that I was reacting to this old fear tactic from a religion I hadn't had anything to do with in over 20 years. It is a powerful phrase, and it will draw emotional support from many who base their decisions on fear.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oooooohhhhh, I think we should worry about the message because it is wrapped in religious ceremony!

Wait, it is wrapped in religious ceremony because a person not affiliated with religion put their interpretation of religion on it.

Hmmmm, oh well.

It has religion involved, RUN AWAY!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Interesting reference you are making. Especially since I strongly suspect that Mormon Mit Romney may begin to re-emerge as the GOP's Pres. chosen one in another 18-20 months.

After all, he was the GOP's golden boy in the lead up to the 2008 elections, before the game plan became apparent and the pick was obviously going to be Obama. That is when he quietly stepped out of the limelight to keep his image pure.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I try to watch Glen Beck every day. I think he is a lone voice trying to make us open our eyes to what the government is up to. I don't attribute his relegion to the information he provides. I am truely amazed at the many people who voted for the president and have allowed the most unquillified person we have ever had be placed in the white house. As retired military I am applalled of his lack of concern for wounded GIs. He has alraedy tried to take away health care citing that its a voluteeer army they knew what they were getting into. What an uncaring example of someone who is suppose to be a commander & chief. and lets not forget the most powerful man in the world bowing low to the King of Saudi Arabia Wake up people and listen to G. Beck.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Ohhhh, wait a minute, since the OP never actually provided a link to the Glenn Beck program or videos, I thought I would provide this.

That way people could actually watch the crap that the OP is stating.

You know, kinda the FACTS instead of the interpretation of FACTS.

Tell me folks, when you listen to things, do you listen to the person or do you listen to someone interpreting the person?

Hey OP, have you actually listened to Beck?

www.watchglennbeck.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

You are sooooo much the extension of someone elses' wills.

You seem like a tool to me, and one who breaks certain rules to forge whatever obligations best seem to fit your ideologies, and dispense more random senseless jargon that has little to do with what precepts you present yourself as a proponent of. I don't feel too sorry for you, as it is more entertaining for many if you keep it up

I'm reviewing what posts are still up for being seen from you recently, and although I rarely if ever say this anywhere or to anyone, I sincerely do not like your practice of hypo critical belittling, as demonstrated repeatedly in numerous posts you expouse your malformed logic on.

You constantly say to be a proponent of certain ideologies and philisophical beliefs, yet your actions and behaviors and overt attitude has 0% chance of reaching said goals, but please feel free to continue to try to prove this observation on my part as being fictitious, as at least I can find it amusing and entertaining in the long run.

Glenn beck asks more irrelevent questions to absolutely no one than he does reporting the facts. His vague questions are just open ended rhetorical questions and a tool he uses to induce thought about facts he is not going to check, and knows if he asks enough of them, people will not have the time to fact check all the accussations he makes through these tactics.

Here Is How Glenn Beck Asks 18 Questions in a Radio broadcast of one "Guest" during Glenn's turn to speak:

GLENN: Silly, isn't it?

STU: Here in the Soviet Union...

GLENN: (Laughing). Oh, my goodness. California, what are you doing? Recent decision in California does two things. It removes the parent as the primary decision maker as what's best for their own children. You love that. Two, it gives the state the sole power to decide what it is able to teach your children. There are 166,000 students in California alone that are homeschooled. Courts have a long history of telling parents what they have to say or how little they have to say in what is taught in the public classroom. Even the liberal ninth circuit court ruled that parents -- I'm quoting, parents have a right to inform their children as they wish on the subject of sex. However they have no constitutional right to prevent a public school from providing its students with whatever information it wishes to provide, sexual or otherwise, when and as the school determines it is appropriate to do so.

So not just sex but anything. Anything. The Sixth Circuit held that parents do not have the fundamental right generally to direct how a public school teaches their child.

Now, you wouldn't know that these 166,000 parents who have loved and cared for their children by reading Judge Croskey's opinion, and here it is, he said parents shouldn't homeschool in part because "Keeping the children at home deprive them of situations where, one, they could interact with people outside the family; two, there are people who could provide help if something is amiss in the children's lives; and three, could help develop emotionally in a broader world than the parents' cloistered setting."

Keeping children at home. Keeping them at home, keeping them at home. Deprive them of situations, yeah, I think I can stop there. It does. It deprives my children of situations and I think that's a good thing! That's what I'm trying to do. They could interact with people outside the family? Wow, you're right. Parents who homeschool their kids have absolutely no friends that their kids can interact with? None, none. We all know that interaction takes place exclusively at school, doesn't it? Never at church. I don't know about you, but I beat my kids into silence at church: "Shut up or I'll give you something to talk about." That's what I like to say. There's nobody to talk to, no friends within the family or extended family or at church. "Children at church, no talking, praise the Lord!" That's what happens with us religious zealots. There's no chance in making any friends or, you know, being able to develop relationships when you're in Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts! Those hate mongers? Or Girl Scouts or Person Scouts. Maybe we should have Persons, don't you think? There's no interaction with other kids when you enroll them in sports leagues. Just at school. That's it. Just at school, and they have to say exactly the right thing in school. Of course, we all know that the only people who love children can only be found in school. The ones who love children, who are the most compassionate or the easiest to connect and care for the child, those are the ones only in school, sure. I mean, who else would ever think of reporting something, quote, amiss in a child's life? I mean, I certainly wouldn't, you know? I find out something is happening in, you know, a family member's life in my house, you know what I mean, my family member, something's going on, there's some abuse, something's amiss? Oh, you Betty sure -- no way I would admit that. No way I'd report that, uh-uh. Something is happening next door to the kids, they come over with bruises? Yeah, no way I'd call the cops on that one. Only a school official would do that. Because they care.

In a true showing of his ignorance, the judge decides that the parents of these 166,000 kids in California all live in cloistered settings. That's right. That's right. We only watch The Flying Nun as well. I have all of them on beta. I don't want my kids using that evil VCR. What other technology is coming out? We just use beta because everything else comes from the devil. And we watch The Flying Nun and, in fact, I think my girls should be nuns and so I dress them up as nuns. I don't -- I just use that white medical tape. I don't have the actual hat and stuff that the nuns, you know, wore in The Flying Nun. So I just take that white tape and just put it all over their head and my son I want to be a priest. So I just take black electrical tape and I just tightly put it around his neck and then I take a little bit of the white surgical tape and I put it in the front so it looks like a priest collar. And then I force them to recreate The Flying Nun thing. And by the way, I think my kids can fly. That's why my child's up on the roof right now. I'm going to tell her she can fly because I'm a crazy person! Because I want to homeschool my kid.

Isn't it very telling that the judge doesn't tell parents that they should send their kids to school to get a better education? Nowhere in here is "Because public school could provide a better education." Well, why wouldn't the judge say that? I mean, isn't that the greatest reason to send them to public school? Because it's a better education? Yeah. Can't really say that, can you? No. Because generally speaking, nationally speaking on the national average, homeschool kids do better on tests. Homeschool kids do better in college. Homeschool kids do better at work. Why? Because homeschooled kids haven't been coddled, haven't been talked down to, they've had rules that actually make sense and apply. They're enforced! They've got to get the job done. They're held accountable. They're what I like to call in the real world.

Now, maybe it is possible that some families, maybe even the family involved in this lawsuit, aren't effectively homeschooling their kids. There is the possibility as there is in all families that there is abuse going on, except I'll bet you -- you know what, Stu? Do a search on this. I bet we can't find a single schoolteacher that has ever abused their own children or a single school official that has ever abused their own children. That doesn't happen because those in school, they're completely different.

The Glenn Beck Program (transcript)

One: California, what are you doing?

Two: They could interact with people outside the family?

Three: Parents who homeschool their kids have absolutely no friends that their kids can interact with?

Four: We all know that interaction takes place exclusively at school, doesn't it?

Five: Those hate mongers?

Six: Maybe we should have Persons, don't you think?

Seven: I mean, who else would ever think of reporting something, quote, amiss in a child's life?

Eight: I mean, I certainly wouldn't, you know?

Nine: I find out something is happening in, you know, a family member's life in my house, you know what I mean, my family member, something's going on, there's some abuse, something's amiss?

Ten: Something is happening next door to the kids, they come over with bruises?

Eleven: What other technology is coming out?

Twelve: Isn't it very telling that the judge doesn't tell parents that they should send their kids to school to get a better education?

Thirteen: Well, why wouldn't the judge say that?

Fourteen: I mean, isn't that the greatest reason to send them to public school?

Fifteen: Because it's a better education?

Sixteen: Can't really say that, can you?

Seventeen: Homeschool kids do better at work. Why?

Eighteen: There is the possibility as there is in all families that there is abuse going on, except I'll bet you -- you know what, Stu?

Eighteen Questions, caller ... please respond accordingly, you are a guest on the Glenn Beck Program

Glenn Beck ... ughh,
ET
edit on 6-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: Are you reading these words endisnighe? Good, I put these words here just for you and you alone. Thank you for taking the time to read these words Saltheart Foamfollower. Thank you, that is all.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
Oooooohhhhh, I think we should worry about the message because it is wrapped in religious ceremony!

Wait, it is wrapped in religious ceremony because a person not affiliated with religion put their interpretation of religion on it.

Hmmmm, oh well.

It has religion involved, RUN AWAY!

thanks for giving me a great reason to totally ignore your trolling nonsense.

second line saved for someone with something constructive and relevant to contribute.
edit on 6-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I did include a link in the OP. See "huffingtonpost" in blue at the top?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Organized religions keep us divided. It is a methodology of control. They are all based on a hierarchy with the priestly class at the top of the pyramid of structure. Step back and objectively think about it. Then free yourself. A religious cult is not going to save you. You have to save yourself.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So, Glenn Beck is a Mormon. Is he slowly grooming his audience to feel an affiliation with other Mormons? Like Mit Romney, maybe? I know even ten years ago in the South mormon's were viewed as almost anti-christian. Today, it appears most right wing voters who self identify as Christian would have a far easier time voting for a Mormon like Romney.

Is that what Beck is grooming for?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

This is what's known as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Beck is a Mormon, after all, so he's obviously familiar with the prophecy... so now he's blending his politics with his religion, a very dangerous thing indeed. Luckily most of the country knows he's crazy so I don't think he poses much of a threat... unless of course Joseph Smith really was a prophet and Mormonism really is true, which is about as likely as Lord Xenu ever having been real.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
So, Glenn Beck is a Mormon.

There is one too many m's in the last word of that sentence. Perhaps it was a typo.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Thank you for the video. It supports the OP very well.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You know I thought it was pretty clear by now Beck is an entertainer. He is in many ways just a version of Howard Stern. He says and does crazy things to get attention, thus ratings, thus $$$$$$. That is all he cares about. If he thought he could make more money shilling for the other side he would do it. Sure he has a group of followers who are gullible enough to believe him but, the people he really counts on, the largest part of his audience are the people who rage against him. I have no doubt he has a good laugh at the people who follow him and an even bigger laugh at the people who watch him to get upset. He does this laughing while counting all the money he has made off of these two groups.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join