It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel Physics Prize: Ultrathin Carbon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Oooo nanobots powered by nanogenerators which receive their power from thermal noise.

Now we are talking!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
One really big use of graphene will be in magnetic coils.

At really high magnetic field strengths the Lorentz forces push the magnetic coil outwards. If the materials that make up the coil are weak the coil can explode.

With graphene, the strongest substance known to man, we should be able to make magnetic coils out of it that are stronger than ever before and therefore capable of creating stronger magnetic fields than have ever been made before (barring perhaps magnetic coils that are exploded on purpose to create very strong fields for a fraction of a second).

While the Navy (Naval Space Command perhaps?) is very interested in graphene, something tells me that graphene ribbon cable or something similar will not be available to the public for a long time if the government has anything to say about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2
reply to post by Scramjet76

Can you think of any application in the medical world?

I'm hoping that this will revolutionized the world of surgery, that is, eliminating the need for any open surgery.
Imagine nanobots capable of minute but super critical surgery like heart surgery or brain surgery - eliminating the loss or used of blood.

I sure hope that the governmental authorities don't get to monopolize this technology and keep it captive in the defense industrial complex.

ty,
edmc2

Medical research is a primary focus of most all nanotech.

The nano's you refer to are something that are being thought of, both for humans and machines.

"Self healing" materials would be ideal in space travel. It has already been in development, with materials already being used in Top Secret projects.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is amazing!!!
Star and Flag

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

"Self healing" materials would be ideal in space travel. It has already been in development, with materials already being used in Top Secret projects.

Eh.. care to elaborate on these Secret projects?

If we could actually master the self healing nanobots thing and combine that with the 39 day to Mars Plasma Rocket, I think we'd be well on our way to colonizing the solar system...

I know, I know. I'm just dreaming

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
i went to a david copperfield show once and guy flew all over the concert hall. sideways, up, down, then straight over the crowd to the upper deck. ive been going to this concert hall since i was 10 y/o (im 40 now) and i never noticed any grids or anything like that in the walls and ceiling of this place. i truly believe that microscopic thin wire technology is doled out to the "magic performance" industry first. another instance is when chris angel did his walking on water performance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join