It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here We Go - Ice Age is a'comin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme. Share Yahoo StumbleUpon Google Technorati del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mixx Propeller Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years. The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

-Coldest Winter in 1000 years to hit Europe

Back in June I posted a whole thread about how the oil spill may just cause global weather effects (cough cough... just like this) by screwing up the Gulf Current and slowing it down.

But what if oil on the surface minimizes the natural forces of wind to push that current and then the balance is put out of sync?

If the Gulf Stream malfunctions, then Europe, deprived of its effects, will in turn lurch towards a new era of lower temperatures. In other words, winters in Lisbon may become as rigorous as those in New York.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
RTD Info

Link to original thread

Get your space heaters and some warm coats boys and girls. Gonna be a cold one.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

My wife showed me some sattelite photos of the failing Gulf Stream from a Russian web site and what I saw was truly startling. After the Gulf Stream fails, the Jet Stream will dip down into Southern Europe and then places like England, Scandinavia, and Russia are in for more snow than humans there have ever experienced. As will be the rest of Europe.

In short, Europe will begin experiencing the terrible weather patterns that the USA has had to endure due to it's cold water current off the Pacific coast. And if a Ice Age truly kicks off from this than we all can expect mass migrations southward.

The ice shelf traveled as far south as Ohio in the USA during the last Ice Age as well as covering all of Canada. I'm not sure how much of Europe was covered but I don't think it will be pretty if it happens.

Oh, and of course, the world economy will completely fail if this happens.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
They have been discussing this in the UK recently too. Hilariously they are already speaking about grit shortages.

Come on, sort it out! We could understand last year caught the government off guard! But two years on the trot is a bit ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

Could you provide a link to those satelite images? I tried to google them but just saw new or old images. Nothing to make a comparison.

On Topic: Would be time for a nice cold winter with lots of snow here in Luxemburg. Like the ones we had when i was a child
Bring it on!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDeader

Like the ones we had when i was a child Bring it on!

Once I get a pair of snow socks fitted for the car I will be inclined to agree with you!

Whats a fair price for clearing my neighbours driveway? £3.50? I will have to ensure they know that I am not legally accountable for any falls they might have post clearing!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here id South West michigan it was supposed to be 42 F last night and it got down to 29 F they were not even close. the local weatherman predicts a mild winter the Farmers Alminac predicts a bad one . Don't care either way.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have to admit as I live in Southern England I was rather looking forward to a bit of Global Warming, I had my sights set on some nice tropical plants, and some wilds short so I could show my legs what the sun looked like.

And I was jumping for joy at the beginning of this year with "Positive Weather Solutions" prediction we'd have the hottest summer on record and in the end I find myself still waiting for many of my plants to flower
Even the ones used to this weather.

Such is my disappointment that I've just planted some winter flowering plants to add a bit of colour to the garden! and now we are talking about Ice Age, which if I am honest, I'm not surprised at, disappointed but not surprised.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I just wanted to throw out there that I found this statement amazingly funny. I am quite sure there will be much more important things to worry about than the economy should an ice age happen.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm at about 44:00N in the northeastern US. When I was growing up in the 60's, our winters were cold and we had lots of snow. We've had a number of mild winters in recent years.Last year was more like times past,more snow and colder. I have a friend who says we only have two seasons here, winter and getting ready for winter. If we shifted into some kind of ice age, I'd probably go south.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
What does this have to do with the oil spill?
I see your link but no real correlation
edit on 5-10-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDeader

Could you provide a link to those satelite images? I tried to google them but just saw new or old images. Nothing to make a comparison.

Ok, I need to tell you all a little about my further investigations as to this link that I'm about to provide in order to be fair.. My wife took this link from a Russian forum that she frequents. I got her to e-mail me the link that she picked up off her site. As it turns out, it is a link from the Rense site. Sorry about the second hand link as I feel it needs to be explained as to what I'm about to give. Some members here are very critical of Mr.Rense and will immediately try to cry foul as a result. Never the less, I will provide it anyway as the physicist who presented the information did an excellent job of it. This information comes from an Italian theoretical physicist, known as Dr. Gianluigi Zangari.

He does provide some really good colored visuals and should be just what you were looking for.

In any event, I stand corrected as to the source not being from a true Russian origin but from a Russian forum that linked to Rense.com.. The information about the physicist is provided by somebody called the Earl of Sterling.

This source is from Rense.com and I highly recommend that all members that are following this topic read this post from this link. So here it is.
Source: www.rense.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You could be correct according to the Lavoisier Conference, Melbourne........

www.nzclimatescience.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish

I just wanted to throw out there that I found this statement amazingly funny. I am quite sure there will be much more important things to worry about than the economy should an ice age happen.

I'm glad you found the statement funny as it was a exercise in hyperbole. I tend to get a little sarcastic when doom and gloom scenarios get broached.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Al Gore should be tried for genocide. We need global warming, it's our only hope for survival, and he has slowed it down. How many millions will die because of his treachery?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
What does this have to do with the oil spill?
I see your link but no real correlation
edit on 5-10-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

It has to do with the thermohaline circulation (THC) of the oceans and the way it influences temperature. seems like the oil (can, has) damaged this circulation pattern.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
www.cru.uea.ac.uk... is an interesting and informative web page on the thermohaline circulation. It explains it clearly with animated pic too.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

and the cold this winter couldn't possibly just be from a normal weather cycle?

is it possible that the gulf spill will effect the weather? yes it is but it will be years before we see the real effects not months.

even your source says they don't know what's cause is.
edit on 10/6/2010 by Mercenary2007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
reply to post by gncnew

is it possible that the gulf spill will effect the weather? yes it is but it will be years before we see the real effects not months.

I'm the first person to jump out there and say that a cold winter is just a cold winter and a hot summer is... well is a pile of suck.

But as they say on ESPN - 1 is a fluke, 2 is a trend, and 3 is a problem.

Guess what year we're on?

I posted the oil/ice-age thread months ago as just an idea I came into as I investigated what effects a mass oil spill could have on the water.

I then read this some 5 months later... I instantly though the two could (notice I say could) be related and maybe I was a Mr. Smarty Pants and figured something out before I read it on the news...

This could be a bunch of nothing - or it could be about to gets really cold yo

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
reply to post by gncnew

Take years??? Source please.
2nd

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

You shouldn't post on global warming forums till you know the difference between local weather and global temperatures.

new topics

top topics

join