It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai Court Drops Viktor Bout Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Thai Court Drops Viktor Bout Case

www.military.com

October 05, 2010
Associated Press
BANGKOK -- A Thai court ruled Tuesday to dismiss a new trial against alleged Russian arms smuggler Viktor Bout, removing a key legal obstacle to his long-awaited extradition to the United States.

The Bangkok Criminal Court's decision was the latest phase in a long-running legal battle that has put Thailand in the middle of a tug-of-war between Washington and Moscow, both of which are demanding Bout's hand-over.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The Merchant of Death has won again. For those of you readers who might not be aware, Viktor Bout is the real life character that Nicholas Cage played in the Lord of War movie, about the life and times of an international arms smuggler.

In the movie, in the end, after being arrested by Interpol after reentering the United States with his brother’s still bullet ridden corpse from an arms deal gone bad, he is freed at the insistence of a top Army General much to the dismay of the Interpol Agent who had been chasing him doggedly for years.

Cage’s cocky character predicted as much stating that he often supplied those fighting the covert wars, and parties governments like Washington couldn’t sell arms to directly for publicity and political reasons, but very much had a vested interest in seeing violence occur nonetheless.

However Bout ran into real legal trouble with the American Government a little over a year ago when American undercover agents conducted a sting, purchasing weapons from him, in a Bangkok Thailand Hotel Room.

Bout who is alleged to be heavily connected with the Russian Military Industrial Complex and a possessor of many of their State secrets has been fighting extradition to the United States ever since.

The Justice Department in its lust to get him here, filed additional money laundering charges when it appeared months ago that Thailand might balk at extraditing him on the original charges of selling weapons to a terrorist organization. (You might actually say the undercover Federal Agents that set up the sting are a form of terrorist organization too). This has backfired on the Justice Department in recent days as Thailand finally was ready to order extradition on the original charges but then decided their own law required starting the whole process over again to deal with the Money Laundering Charges.

It appears the Thai justice system finally had enough of what they called “Heavy handed pressure” from Washington and said no.

Viktor though is the kind of fellow who would help supply anyone with any type of weapon you might have the money and means to pay for. So it does beg the question if Viktor has sold dirty bombs or other nuclear devices and sold them knowingly to Western Intelligence Agencies. Is there a sinister reason that the United States Government that once favored him through back channels now would like him off the streets? Perhaps Viktor knows too much now for his own good?

Very intriguing story, and if you have never seen the movie Merchant of Death, it offers fascinating glimpses into the world of International Arms Trafficking and conflict in the third world, and complicity in the first.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/10/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
With out a doubt in my humble opinion one of the greatest scenes ever in Movies is the final act of the Lord of War where Nicholas Cage's charachter patterned off of Victor Doubt has finally been arrested, and is in custody and then tells his Interpol captor "Let me tell you what's going to happen" after the Interpol agent paints a grim scenario of multiple life terms behind bars.

Truly a classic scene, especially for those you root for the 'bad guy'.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I find it a trifle amusing that we fail to recognize, from time to time, that by being the largest arms producer in the world, the most active arms traders in all the world, the largest military-industrial complex in the world (and frankly, due to the transnational corporate nature of commerce, likely the ONLY true arms dealers in the world) we will, of necessity trade with the vilest and most evil organizations, even selling to our own enemies, that they may kill our own soldiers.

That means that the requisite 'plausible deniability' will be engineered into the mix, and people like Bout, while facilitating the trade, will become wealthy beyond measure, simply as a result of being the middleman. His associates, being not limited to the affairs of state, are taking advantage of a black market that OUR OWN governments subsidize by their 'ideological imperatives.'

Frankly, they could vaporize Mr. Bout in an atomic oven, and within HOURS another will be taking his place. In fact, one probably already has.

The ELECTED leaders of the world drive this trade - not criminals. Criminals simply take advantage of its insulated and unaccountable nature.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I find it a trifle amusing that we fail to recognize, from time to time, that by being the largest arms producer in the world, the most active arms traders in all the world, the largest military-industrial complex in the world (and frankly, due to the transnational corporate nature of commerce, likely the ONLY true arms dealers in the world) we will, of necessity trade with the vilest and most evil organizations, even selling to our own enemies, that they may kill our own soldiers.

That means that the requisite 'plausible deniability' will be engineered into the mix, and people like Bout, while facilitating the trade, will become wealthy beyond measure, simply as a result of being the middleman. His associates, being not limited to the affairs of state, are taking advantage of a black market that OUR OWN governments subsidize by their 'ideological imperatives.'

Frankly, they could vaporize Mr. Bout in an atomic oven, and within HOURS another will be taking his place. In fact, one probably already has.

The ELECTED leaders of the world drive this trade - not criminals. Criminals simply take advantage of its insulated and unaccountable nature.

I couldn't agree anymore

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Believe it or not, it turned out a couple years ago, here in Miami that a local software company was actually producing the most important chips used in IAD's (Improvised Explosive Devices) in Irag and Afghanistan against our troops.

The chips which weren't exportable to nations on the Terrorist Watch List, were instead sold to companies in France and Germany that then forwarded them on to Tehran, that then forwarded them into the theatre of operations.

A total of 11 people were indicted locally here, as a result.

What's interesting is even in a place like ATS few people know who someone like Viktor Bout is, or just how all encompassing the Military Industrial Complex is, that Cage's charachter patterned off of Bout in the movie, honestly declared the President of the United States as being the number one arms dealer in the world.

This is true, and another interesting fact pointed out in the Movie Lord of War is that the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, The United States the UK, France, Russia and China are the biggest arms dealers and suppliers in the world.

It really is like giving the inmates the keys to the prison.

Too bad this story won't get more attention. Bout's slow dance with the international justice system, ended much like in the movie in this case.

It truly is a fascinating real life story, of the darkest side of our human existence.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
For those who liked the movie Lord of War this hour long show tells much of Viktor Bouts real story.

For those who truly like conspiracies this story is the real deal as far as conspiracies go. A true international man of intrique mixing elbows and doing business with the world's movers and shakers, the business of death.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It seems this man is a venture capitalist and will do business with anyone who has the means to pay for his services. It has been alleged that his services were used by the United States as well as the usual run-of-mill despotic dictators, extremist groups, thugs, and revolutionary factions. Moreover, it seems his only loyalty was to the the almighty dollar. That is a capitalist through and through.

I have heard about this man having a large fleet of airplanes to facilitate his illicit shipping endeavors. To put it simply, this man was like the Black Market equivalent of UPS or Fed Ex. I am not trying to applaud the man, because he profited off of death and misery as he armed madmen to carry out their reigns of terror. However, the story of how an obscure Soviet Army officer would have found himself in the middle of some of the most hotly contested conflicts in the world while enriching himself quite well is a remarkable story.

Now, to what is troubling to me, is why the US is so dead set on completing his extradition to the US? The US government under Bush has even come out and said they contracted with Bout subsidiaries to supply the US war effort in Iraq.

Arrested Arms Dealer's Planes Flew U.S. Missions in Iraq

n a January 2005 letter to Congress, then-Assistant Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz admitted the Defense Department "did conduct business with companies that, in turn, subcontracted work to second-tier providers who leased aircraft owned by companies associated with Mr. Bout."

. . . paying Bout-controlled firms roughly $60 million to fly supplies into Iraq in support of the U.S. war effort, according to a book released last year by two reporters who investigated Bout. And it didn't prevent the U.S. military from giving Bout's pilots millions of dollars in free airplane fuel while they were flying U.S. supply flights.

This is a man who was wanted by Interpol and had travel restrictions placed upon him by the United Nations. Still, the US is doing business with companies owned by this man? So, the DOD may have had dealings with him to supply the war effort in Iraq. It is probably safe to assume the CIA utilized Bouts services if the DOD did. Now, I don't even want to know what dealings he had with the CIA and what dirt they were able do with the help of this man. Chances are it was some cold-blooded and devious stuff given their track record.

My guess is the reason why the US is so hotly pursuing his extradition is because of past dealings with the government in clear objections to international law. Another issue of contention for me, is if this man facilitated any deals concerning the shipment of materials to make nuclear weapons or nuclear weapons themselves to terror groups or rogue elements of government since we live in a world where the concept of false flag attacks seem plausible for those dead set on political gain and control. Given the porous security in the post Soviet Union and the likelihood of loose nukes, that is definitely something to be weary of.

Moreover, I think the US wants to get him under their control to turn the screws on him to keep silent, or one day we may hear about him being found dead in his prison cell. Furthermore, given his contacts with Russian military circles; he could prove invaluable to the intelligence agencies seeking information about topics such as command structure, technology, and strength levels. Therefore, his knowledge of Russian military affairs is why Moscow is working hard to get him in custody before the US. This guy had his hands in a lot of cookie jars and did business with just about everyone. It seems it is in the best interests of countries trying to extradite him, because he has scandal written all over him if he decides to open his mouth and spill the beans.
edit on 5-10-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Great post my friend, it is said "Luck is when determination meets opportunity" withing timing being everything.

Bout seems to have had the quintessential knack for being in precisely the right place at the right time coupled with determination and ambition.

In the movie Lord of War, where he prompts a member of the Pentagon Brass to facilitate his release from Interpol custody, he actually has the General pay him, a large undisclosed sum of cash for the privelage of getting him out of jail.

He said "I am no fool, they save me today because it's convenient and expedient, but another day I could be the one they through to the sacrificial wolves when that suits their purpose".

So the question is what would suit the U.S. Government's purpose now after such a long and cozy relationship with Bout to go after him?

Is it simply a big money shakedown aimed at fleecing him of some of the cash he once made?

Or as you say does he have inside information regarding just who is who in the intelligence community when it comes to the War on Terror.

Though number one is possible, I would say number two is far more likely, that Bout played a role in arming some 'rogue' or otherwise clandestine element involved in a false flag operation.

It's possible he might have even sold the thermite alleged to have been used in the 9-11 attacks. Who knows.

I think we can all appreciate the rags to riches story of a self made man, gangsters like Al Capone have always fascinated us, even with those on the other side of the law.

Yet the truth is, those who live by the sword are destined to die by the sword.

It will be interesting to see what Thailand does with Bout moving forward, whether they release him, and where he attempts to go if they do.

As Roman Polanski can attest too, once the U.S. Justice System wants you, it never gives up trying.

Great post Jakes51 thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join