It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissident republicans blamed for Londonderry car bomb!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Dissident republicans blamed for Londonderry car bomb!

www.bbc.co.uk

Dissident republicans are being blamed for a car bomb attack in Londonderry.

The bomb was left close to the Ulster Bank and a row of shops in front of Da Vinci's hotel on the Culmore Road on Monday night.

It exploded shortly after midnight - about an hour after the warning was given. Dozens of homes were evacuated in the alert. No-one was injured.

However, the bank and several shops were damaged.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com
www.newsletter.co.uk
www.tv3.ie

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So it begins, the dissident Republican attack on the banking system.

In my estimation that's exactly what this bomb constitutes. Forget about the sectarian link spoken of in other articles. This was planted outside Ulster Bank PLC in the early hours, when few civilians would have been present. I expect more attacks of this nature in the near future. Targeting the banking system primarily.

Is it just an attempt for dissidents to tap into the sympathies of the working man in order to garner support? Or have they moved on from random killing ,and developed a new goal directed at the apparent source of their woes?

I predict the deteriorating situation in Northern Ireland will remain out of the mainstream until something terrible happens. It is only a matter of time in my opinion.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Here are some pics of the damage;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5576e4271bcd.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbb41408d3a2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb7bb1f23a30.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I don't know what to say really, except I find it very sad to see/hear bombs going off in Northern Ireland again and I hope your assessment is wrong..

As an aside and off topic.

So if the UK Gov was right about the threat posed by these Irish dissidents, I'm guessing that by extension to some it might validate the UK Gov warnings about a serious extremist threat to Europe

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
im going up shortly to have a look, it was a hell of a bang a lot louder than the the last one at the police station recently.
it did nothing to impact the banking system in my eye's, if the ulster bank has to close down the customers will just transfer down the road to the first trust bank ( which will make that bank that bit richer defeating the purpose of bringing banks down) but it will bring about the loss of jobs for local people (who these guy's are claiming to represent)

thankfuly no one was killed or injured
edit on 5-10-2010 by truthseeker10 because: dunno

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker10

Apparently they are saying it was a much larger bomb than the one planted in August. The updated BBC story is stating more than 200lbs of explosive.

www.bbc.co.uk...

You're right about physical damage though, as it is a member of the RBS banking system there are plenty of others to take them in temporarily. I think the intention was more of a message. Thank God noone was seriously hurt, although two officers at the scene were blown off their feet when the explosion happened, they seem to be doing OK now.

join