It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well without getting all weirded out here on this thread, with the other weirdo's, I will say this, v
I am in HVAC, down in southeastern USA, and last summer was the hottest in forever, and I was busy as hell, so busy I had to take a hiatus, and last winter was the coldest in forever, with last winter and last summer being unseasonably cool and hot, and this winter err fall starting off cold down here also, I am pretty sure it will be unseasonably cold as well. Also I will be busy as heck, making sure people stay warm as well.

Personally I think this is a climate cycle, I do not think Humans, help the atmosphere, that much with their pollutants, but I do not think we are that big of a force to altercate the Universe.. LOL Not to long ago we just climbed outta the tree's.

edit on 6-10-2010 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
s&f

Well the north-east getting more snow...ah Mother Nature

One never knows what she has up her sleeves!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well I live in Florida and it's been very nice lately!! Cool nights and morning where AC is not needed. This is unusual for Florida at this time of year. It's always hot even in October! I'm loving the weather and if it means an actual winter versus a few days here and there of cold then YAY!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The situation goes something like this...

The Ocean Conveyor (the flow of ocean currents around the world, of which the Gulf Stream forms part of), is altering in the Northern Hemisphere. This is due to Global Warming, and the rate that this has increased in recent years (man's effect), which has seen the Ice Caps of the Arctic and Greenland melt much faster than before. This sends cold fresh water into the Northern Atlantic and affects the flow of warm currents that sustain Northern Europe's temperatures during the winter months.

Evidence shows that this is already affecting the Conveyor and this is why we will have very cold winters from now on, coupled with droughts and high winds in other areas. The degree of change depends on how much we are adding to the cycle of change nature produces, and there are clear signs we are changing things more rapidly than first thought.

REF: www.whoi.edu...

This affect on the Conveyor, may also be multiplied, if we are to consider the effects of the GOM oil leak, which has supposedly directly affected the Gulf Stream (causing it to faulter in the GOM).

So, if you take natures naturally occurring cycles, throw in our effects on the planet, the melting of the Arctic and Greenland Ice Caps, and the possible damage to the Gulf Stream, then we are in for a big surprise when the 'Ice Age' descends upon us within 1-2 years and lasts for 100's!!

Reap as ye shall sow - Karma - What goes around, comes around, and all the other sayings you can think of.
We have abused this planet and raped it of it's natural resources. Never once given thought to what the long term effects might be, just in it for the short term gain, and someone else can sort the problem. We've destroyed nature and the wonderful wildlife within it, and now we start to worry. Shame we didn't live in harmony with our environment from the beginning. That it was a punishable crime to pollute or damage our surroundings. That's what I say!

We are a selfish, arrogant, uncaring and disgraceful species - unlike any other, and all the wonders that this planet gave us have been trashed within a universal blink (100 years!). Things must change, and will! 2012 may well be the start.....

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The points listed sound a lot like typical Canadian weather. My advice to Russians... you get used to it, just don't pack away the summer clothes until November or winter clothes until June and you'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Sydney's Winter was the coldest in 13 years which included the coldest morning in 30 years.

Coldest in the 1000 years we can handle - don't ever want to see 'Coldest Winter in 10,000 years' because that would put us at the end of the last ICE AGE
edit on 6/10/10 by Caveat Lector because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The gulf stream slows down and even reverses, unpredictably every few years anyway. It is called El Nino. No news.
Third line.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I posted a thread about this subject in September.

Some more info about this :

abovetopsecret.com...

www.landscheidt.info.../189

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr X
I believe in global warming it is a fact.
What many people don't realise is that the sun is at the minimum of its sunspot cycle at the moment meaning its energy output is lower than normal. That fact coupled with the weakening gulf stream is giving Europe very cold winters.
The right wing press here in the UK are arguing the cold winters prove that gloal warming is not real.
This is not true, when the solar cycle picks up again and gets hotter over the next 13 years or so the effects will bolster global warming and we will see very hot temperatures in parts of the world.

Time to unlock alternative energies and reduce our carbon emmissions to zero.

How is it a fact? Where is your back-up source? How do you know the solar cycle is going to "pick up again"?
I find very different information such as -

“We find that the system is presently undergoing a transition from the recent Grand Maximum to another regime. This transition started in 2000 and it is expected to end around the maximum of cycle 24, foreseen for 2014, with a maximum sunspot number Rmax = 68 ± 17. At that time a period of lower solar activity will start. That period will be one of regular oscillations, as occurred between 1730 and 1923. The first of these oscillations may even turn out to be as strongly negative as around 1810, in which case a short Grand Minimum similar to the Dalton one might develop. This moderate to low-activity episode is expected to last for at least one Gleissberg cycle (60 - 100 years).”

source
I think you have been misinformed, or you need to do some more reading..

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
theres plenty of ats members that live near the arctic circle , if it gets any colder you ll be the first to know after us,
untill then hold your hats and remember its called weather and its usualy ever changing and ever flowing ,

its still 10+c outside by day and at night it goes between 5+ / -2 depending on the wind but compared to many years its been a sunny fall and pumkins thrive.

i guess its safe to say its been a "normal" year so far.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

rt.com

After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme.
Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years.
The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Maaaannnn I am in Bloomington, Indiana an hour south of Indianapolis and it is frigggan freezing. I have never had to break out the heavy coat in september or beginning october since I moved here in 1999. BURRRRRRRRRRHHH

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by discordantone

The points listed sound a lot like typical Canadian weather. My advice to Russians... you get used to it, just don't pack away the summer clothes until November or winter clothes until June and you'll be fine.

Russia is used to extreme winters. They're just not used to extreme summers. Or even just hot summers.

countrystudies.us...

Because only small parts of Russia are south of 50° north latitude and more than half of the country is north of 60° north latitude, extensive regions experience six months of snow cover over subsoil that is permanently frozen to depths as far as several hundred meters. The average yearly temperature of nearly all of European Russia is below freezing, and the average for most of Siberia is freezing or below.

www.associatedcontent.com...

On December 31, 1978 a temperature reading of -72.6 degrees was recorded at Ust' Shchugor in Russia which is the coldest temperature reading ever recorded in Europe. So the coldest temperatures ever recorded on the continents of Asia and Europe were in Russia.

On February 2, 1892 in Verkhoyansk and on February 6, 1933 in Oymyakon both small towns in Russia a temperature reading of -90 degrees was recorded making these small towns the coldest places on Earth that are permanently inhabited and coldest places on the continent of Asia.

I know what wind chill of -50 feels like. Not fun. 10 minutes is too long.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr X
I believe in global warming it is a fact.
What many people don't realise is that the sun is at the minimum of its sunspot cycle at the moment meaning its energy output is lower than normal. That fact coupled with the weakening gulf stream is giving Europe very cold winters.
The right wing press here in the UK are arguing the cold winters prove that gloal warming is not real.
This is not true, when the solar cycle picks up again and gets hotter over the next 13 years or so the effects will bolster global warming and we will see very hot temperatures in parts of the world.

Time to unlock alternative energies and reduce our carbon emmissions to zero.

Thanks for the first intelligent post in this thread! HELLO PEOPLE! Global Warming meant always slower Gulfstream -> Ice Age in Europe. Get it please! It's scientific logic - explained in every detail. But you Idiots believe more in FOX News then everything else. In Europe only silly and loony people are talking about "the global warming hoax". Did you really all believe in that oil-industry-fake-propaganda-video?

Selber schuld!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmiOra
So we are in global warming but all temperatures are colder than normal? How Bizarre. The truth is there is no global warming occuring, it is actually global cooling, when the poles heat their coolness actually spreads south, they aren't completely melting the coolness is spreading. It's like if you put ice in hot water...the ice heats and the rest of the water cools. We're actually due for another ice age...I believe with the poles "melting" and the glaciers breaking off they are cooling the rest of the earth off.

Hi.

Please, if your going to weigh in on it,. can you call it what it actually has been and is?

Climate Destablisation

the global warming thing was one aspect of the whole picture. and the media ran with that...yes, the end result is a ice age triggered, but things will be swinging back and forth rapidly before then.

the cold winters isn't bad, but a extreme uptick in the summers is the issue here. I wont get into the science...just asking for you to use the correct terms to help understanding.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Well I live in Florida and it's been very nice lately!! Cool nights and morning where AC is not needed. This is unusual for Florida at this time of year. It's always hot even in October! I'm loving the weather and if it means an actual winter versus a few days here and there of cold then YAY!

Ya, yesterday we shut the AC off because it was actually quite comfortable indoors.

Problem is, our winters are brutal as you are aware...doesn't get supercold like the northern states, but the incredibly high humidity makes 40 degrees feel like 10 bone chilling degrees...even northerners experiencing the worst days in winter here say it is colder feeling than what they are used to (snow also insulates and regulates to an extent...we got none o dat)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue
Here in NW Oregon, I saw a group of swans the other day on the river, I do not usually see them until November when it is colder. They come down from Alaska and it seems like they are early this year.

I thought the swans came early because it was cold up North, but maybe they just wanted some sunshine, as we just had some really warm weather up here. However, now the weather is back to normal for this time of year.

Strange, I also live in NW Oregon and last week as I was standing outside I looked up into the sky and there was at least 3 dozen hawks just circling above. I have never seen so many hawks together before, it was very strange. After watching for a while it just got weirder and weirder, hawks started appearing from all directions flying towards the large group, then finally they all took off in a straight line in one direction and out of my view-sight.

I don't know if hawks even migrate, but it was the first time I've ever seen something like this, because even if they do migrate, why would they be in such a large group together?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
First of all the Russian DID NOT just have the most extreme summer. It was mild compared to 1936.

www.iceagenow.com...

There are TOO many signs that we are approaching at the minimum a little ice age.

1. The natural Warming has ended, melting fresh water has put oceans at tipping point. CO2 is not a GHG.
2. Prolonged period of low or no sunspot activity
3. Cycles are way past due for a mini or major ice age
4. We are approaching the "great" year (every 26,000 yrs 2012) in which our planet is at the most far outskirt of it's orbit and farthest away from the sun.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by digit78

I say F%%^ em....

Jaden

p.s. j.k. but if it does come down to it, you help your own first and whatever others you can...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Personally, I would love to have a cold winter.

Here in Southern Cali, we dont really have seasons. Especially not anymore. I remember only ten years ago, we would have warm summers and cold (for our standards) winters. These past several years, (aside from the random weather change, which only lasts a day or two) its been like one long year round season. Our summers have been cool, and our winters have been warm.

Basically, where I live it never gets above 80F and never below 50F even at night. I know for many of you that probably sounds perfect, but IMO the holiday season just doesnt feel right when you're still walking around in shorts and a t shirt.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Star for you SaturnFX. Correct. Ice ages are always in consequence to warming periods. Temperatures have been higher in the past 15000 yrs than they are now with LESS CO2 in the atmosphere. CO 2 has nothing to do with higher temps or global "warming" Warming trends are not man made. Look at the vostok Ice cores for proof.

www.iceagenow.com... ( SEE CHART)

But I will differ with you on summers vs. winters. More people are killed by cold every year than heat. Ice ages will kill more life than a warming cycle will.

One should study maps of our last major Glacial period. See how far the ice pack came into the US. You would have to think either those in the upper parts would either die or have to move south. All crops and growing seasons would be disrupted creating a major food shortage.

www.iceagenow.com... (SEE MAPS)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join