It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Funny, we get an alarming message about the coldest winter in 1,000 years and this turns into a hatefest of those who believe in Global Warming.

How about we think of possible reasons why this is happening? It is possible that the earth is in a cycle, as it always is. It has an evolutionary process, just like every other living thing.

Either way, even if I'm not in eastern Europe, I know western Pennsylvania is going to be a nightmare. Let the fun begin.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I live in Los Angeles and have for most my life, born and raised.

This Summer was the coldest Summer I can ever remember. And not just by the numbers, I actually noticed we hardly had any hot days. In fact the hottest days this year were last week where we hit a record high, but that was because of a freak wind shift with Santa Anna winds.

A day after the hottest day on record, it dipped down it the 70,s within two days. There were nights this Summer where I was freezing cold leaving my patio open. Same as tonight, cold as hell.

I'm now supposed to be afraid an Ice Age is coming I guess.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Prove_It_NOW

We are actually due for an ice age...when the poles heat the rest of the earth cools.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It is actually quite warm and muggy (and wet for a change) in the UK at the moment. We still haven't put our heating on yet and have the windows open at night.

Guys it's only just autumn - winter starts on the 21 December, the winter solstice and finishes around the 20 March at the vernal equinox.

For the record, I really enjoyed the extra snowfall we had this year and the lot before christmas last year (although we got stuck in that one!) It makes people slow down and speak to each other. Whilst we were out we met lots of people and everyone seemed to be happy and helping each other - especially when we all got stuck in December. We were with our neighbours for about four evenings on the trot, taking it in turns to cook up a stew/casserole and share some wine and did fun stuff together with the kids like build the biggest snowman ever!

Be prepared and look out for your neighbours (especially if they are elderly).

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
With regards to the ice age - well let's hope not! I don't mind colder winters, but a long colder year - no thanks!

Second line

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The global elite know about the cold snap that's coming. I find the fact that they use the term "global cooling" is rather telling.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

Whilst they leave everyone squabling about the ifs and buts, they keep the real problem to themselves.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Ok, so here's the deal...

I have been a climate "alarmist" for almost 25 years now.

Some places are getting warmer. Some places are getting cooler.

The Atlantic conveyor is changing - like it or not. Doesn't matter which side of the global cooling/warming argument you're on. Something's up - at least in terms of global norms.

So while the lefts and rights and the blues and reds are busy playing local BULLS## politics with global climate, I'll be busy watching the real data. By the time the picture finally becomes obvious to the political masses, it should be just about too late to do anything about it - which is pretty much how every political party prefers it - too late to make any meaningful change but just in time to blame other guy.

I hope you all fry.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I believe in global warming it is a fact.
What many people don't realise is that the sun is at the minimum of its sunspot cycle at the moment meaning its energy output is lower than normal. That fact coupled with the weakening gulf stream is giving Europe very cold winters.
The right wing press here in the UK are arguing the cold winters prove that gloal warming is not real.
This is not true, when the solar cycle picks up again and gets hotter over the next 13 years or so the effects will bolster global warming and we will see very hot temperatures in parts of the world.

Time to unlock alternative energies and reduce our carbon emmissions to zero.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Were I am at in washington st its warmer and a lot more dry then usual...a couple of years back it would of been pouring rain this time of year...But now its dry and quite outside...could be the quite before the storm type of thing. I will see I guess.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Interesting. The passed week or so here in central Texas has been really cold. Not overly so but definitely more than I remember for this time of year. I literally have to put on a coat just to take my trash out after sunset. This is Texas ffs :\

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Oh no please no... I just survived this winter without electricity!

It was the coldest winter for ages... just my luck!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

The sun has been very quiet for a very long time now. It could be we are heading for another solar minium like the maunder minimum that lasted for about 150 years and corresponded to a 200 year cold spell from which we have up to now been recovering. I do not think that higher modern CO2 concentrations in the atmopshere is enough to offset the coming cold period. History teaches us that these climatic variations could last for a couple of hundred years.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyteskye

You hope who fries? Politicians or us "Naysayers"?

Second

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

not according to the US weather bureau

sure parts of Canada, but mostly the rust belt & new england states will get the Arctic express weather.

i'm looking forward to a mild, warm, dry winter in the SE usa

see:

the National Weather Service’s Climate Prediction Center (CPC) sees an increased chance for warmer- and drier-than-normal weather in Oklahoma during October.

Looking farther out, the CPC indicates similar conditions could persist through the winter months, meaning a milder but possibly drier winter for Oklahoma. The culprit behind this possible disruption of Oklahoma’s weather is none other than El Niño’s counterpart, La Niña.

Read more: www.newsok.com...

the scare ia all about the thermohaline conveyor - the Gulf Stream current
which affects a different area of rthe globe than the La Nina

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Can someone link me to proof of the NOMINAL climate range humans are supposed to live between?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

It's a cycle thing..... 30 odd years since we had a lot of snow in England.... last winter was the coldest for a while with heavy snow...

At the mo it's kinda looking dodgy as this wk/end we are having 22C in South East which for October is pretty unusual considering the temp was on its way down last week....

But yeh, the winters will once again be winters

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
remember that extreme weather also effects not only the animals, but also the food crops, a few floods through out the world ruined crops like the floods that hit Australia last year, the pantry is getting emptier and the economy is getting worse.

control the food and you control the population, and if you have food restrictions you have people exactly where you want them, cold, tired, broke and hungry.

Of course food will be sold the the highest bidder if any country has some spare.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Cool, I would like another winter like last years. Actually I would like it to be a bit better with more snow.
Last years winter was my first snow but we were stuck in a flat, now we have a yard and can enjoy it more.

Bring it on I say.

You are missing the point...

I’m 36 and I remember in the 70's and 80's having warm summers and snowy cold winters, seasons were easily defined...

What we have currently is an almost seasonless continual overtone of coolness. The summers are fleeting lasting only 2 or 3 weeks of actual hot, the rest of the time it's uniform grey.

What the research is pointing to is where the UK will experience over the next few decades pretty much no warm summers at all and extreme cold winters that take months to thaw.

Like youself I also enjoy the beauty of winter, but I don't fancy skidooing my way to work in May.... do you??

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm usually immune to the cold weather, always preferring to go outside with just a t shirt on. But the past few weeks over here in the UK I've been feeling the cold a bit. It's been limited to my hands and legs, I thought I had developed a case of poor blood circulation. I know my sister and aunty have Reynaud's, I hope it is just the cold weather and not the early signs of that

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The nuclear bomb timeline shows how Humanity has dropped 2046 atomic bombs from 1945-1998. That it's a high amount of nuclear force (naturally native from space and stellar processes) entropy-ing in the planet. We are not altering our weather, we're brutalizing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join