It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CCTV vigilantes: Snoopers paid to sit at home watching store security cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

The CCTV vigilantes: Snoopers paid to sit at home watching store security cameras

www.dailymail.co.uk

Private snoopers are being paid to monitor thousands of CCTV cameras from home.

Their job is to try to spot criminal behaviour on live feeds from cameras in stores and streets.

If, for example, they see a shoplifter they send a text message warning the owner of the firm.

The company behind the idea, Internet Eyes, says it will help fight crime.

But Daniel Hamilton, of campaign group Big Brother Watch, said: ‘It’s astonishing to think that innocent people doing their shopping could soon be sp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Big Brother? The Internet Eyes web page that CCTV watchers will use to alert stores to shoplifters.

CCTV vigilantes: The site is aimed at businesses that cannot afford security guards to watch their cameras 24 hours a day.

The surveillance state hands more power to their loyal subjects. It's like a 'Neighborhood Watch' gone online.

Imagine being paid just to sit at your PC watching the live feed of someone's business for any criminal activity. Yeah right. Who would want it as a side job?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
How considerate of big brother to create jobs for unemployed busybodies...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I don't imagine that this will last too long because all most of these people are going to see is hundreds of hours of shoppers buying twix bars and choosing which tin of soup to eat later.
As soon as they realize that they aren't going to witness an Oceans 11 style heist any time soon they will go back to peering through the curtains at their neighbours as usual

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Another member (Vesta) signed up a few months ago. It turns out to be a points-based scam with the chance to win 'awards' 'up to the value' of £1000.

Vesta found that you have to pay them to join. His thread...Internet Eyes............

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
so whats to stop me from just pretending im at the computer watching the cameras? do you get paid by the crime?

so whats to stop me from being in cahoots with some punk that i convince to go steal a candy bar just for me to alert the store and split the pay?

answer: nothing. this is 100% exploitable. have fun.

new topics

top topics

join