It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop kills two sisters in crash, then seeks Workers Comp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here we go again with the double standard for punishment of criminal cops:

Ex Trooper Who Killed Sisters in Crash Seeks Workers Comp

"Mitchell was sending e-mails and talking to his girlfriend on his cell phone in 2007 when he lost control of his patrol car on his way to an emergency and jumped a median, colliding head-on into a car on the other side of the highway and killing Kelli, 18, and Jessica, 13. He has pleaded guilty to reckless homicide and reckless driving."

Responding to an emertgency? While talking on his cell phone to his girlfriend?
If this was you or me we'd be cooked, but since he's a cop........?
Don't accuse me of being anti cop, I'm anti CRIMINAL cop, and the relative light punishment the get!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Wow, a 2 year suspension?

The guy I know who got convicted of reckless homicide didn't get 2 years suspended from work. He got put behind bars for 5 years. This cop should have been looking at 3-14 years.

What I don't understand is how the father of the two girls can sleep at night knowing justice will never be served.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I can't believe it...

"I'm not responsible for the death of your children".

Yeah.... riiiight, must have been some kamikaze terrorist girls trying to ambush him while he was e-mailing and talking on the phone with his girlfriend, a vital part of his job.

I didn't know you could ask for compensation for murder
He doesn't even seem to be sorry, seems like he feels like the victim.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There are generally stiffer penalties for those that shoot or kill cops while commiting a crime.
That would be OK by me IF the reverse were also true.
Why aren't there stiffer penalties for cops that kill or commit other crimes while misusing the authority they are given to supposedly protect the public?
Like this idiot.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
One pressing question that I have is, why do police hold us regular citizens with no formal training to a higher standard then they hold themselves?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I hope public out cry will put this guy behind bars. 2 pretty white girls too. Just that should have put him away for years the way the media works. What scum of the earth.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
makes my blood boil the state of the planet!!! Any other person would be behind bars for life....this is just another piss take!!!

Hows he not responsible??? guilty as charged and should serve his time like anyone else!!!

Disgusting excuse for a human being

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I have seen sort of the same thing not too long ago. A sherriff in a tahoe was using the laptop in the cruiser and was going about 10 over the speed limit and drifted into the next lane and hit a car head on. It was pretty graphic and I think the driver mite have died, but I'm not sure? After the crash the deputy even acted like a prick and barely helped the victims out he just called an ambulance.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Sonofabitch needs his legs broken and his teeth kicked down his throat. Shoulda been him that bit it not the girls

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

Probably a good thing he did not help them out. They would have probably been worse off. Its always best to wait for the ambulance if you don't know what your doing. Unless its major life threatening bleeding or similar. Here in Tennessee we emergency drivers(police, fire, and EMS) have to take a class called Vanessa K. Free. Chattanooga police ran a red light and killed a teenage girl years ago. They only had there lights on not sirens as required. They didn't stop to check that the intersection was clear before they went through. They named the class after her and its an annual thing. All about driving with lights and sirens.

I can't believe thats the only punishment he gets. Alot of states have signs talking about the jail time and fines, if you hit a highway worker. Why is he not serving time? This was obviously a dereliction of duty on his part. He was not practicing due regard for the safety of the public.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You can't put one of the boys in prison.

How would that make his buds feel?

You're all insensitive. Think of the officers...

*pukes out brain* the insanity of this world is incomprehensible. This guy is a criminal. Yet once more his uniform protects him.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rakkasansct

I know some of the dangers of helping out people with serious injures and that is why my friend and i did not try to help them. The thing that pissed me off the most was that the deputy didn't seem to care about their well being he was just worried about his job which he should be, but something tells me he got to keep his job.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It's why they are called accidents.

Because it was his fault, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve workman's comp, if he is injured.

What about all the other days he was out working, not talking on the phone, and not having an accident? All the other days when he was out assisting people and protecting the public?

All that should be disregarded because of this unfortunate event?

What happened was really bad, no doubt, and he will likely pay for it in a multitude of ways.
But when people get hurt on the job, they are compensated, and this is what happened to this officer, be it his fault or not.

A woman where I work was going down some icy steps, fell, and cracked her knee. She was awarded WC.
Should she have been denied? I had noticed those same steps, but chose not to use them that day. Did she make a poor decision? She used steps she always used, only this one time it didn't work out so well. There was an accident.
Should she have been punished for it? You know, not be able to pay the rent, hungry kids, all that?

edit on 10/6/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join