It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDF soldiers convicted of using 11-year-old as human shield in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
www.haaretz.com...

Just a little something your blog won't show you.

The soldiers were convicted of offenses including inappropriate behavior and overstepping authority for ordering an 11-year-old Palestinian to search bags suspected to have been booby trapped.

The incident occurred during a search conducted by Givati soldiers in southern Gaza City in January 2009. IDF protocols strictly prohibit the use of civilians as human shields.

The IDF spokesperson's unit stressed that, during every incursion, soldiers were told that forcing civilians to assist in military operations was strictly forbidden, especially if such action were to endanger their lives.

This is how the IDF works. If it's got solid evidence of wrong doing it will convict.
Like any other court in the world.

Not sure what the was the evidence on this trial though..

This, together with the thread I posted some time ago that 550 soldiers are being investigated for crimes during "Cast Lead" by the IDF, just goes to show that the IDF instructs its soldiers to act according to the highest moral standards and punishes them if they don't.
edit on 4-10-2010 by Eliad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What about the Israeli soldier who shot the British peace activist Tom Hurndall in the head, getting early release after only 6 years of his fairly ridiculous 8 year sentence?

The crime even more horrific when put into perspective, as when Tom Hurndall was shot he was trying to get children to take cover from IDF fire. He picked one girl up and took her to safety, but when he tried to save the second young girl he was hit, and after 9 months in a vegetative state he died.

Any prosecution for Rachel Corrie's murder?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I don't know what went through the guy's head, what he thought he saw, neither do you.
I don't know the details of the trial, what evidence were presented, what were the two versions (Because there are always two versions).

8 years in prison for a 20 year old kid who has made an error of judgment in the middle of a combat situation is not enough?
And you call Israelis cruel?
Would you rather put that boy in prison for the rest of his life?
This is not a person who voluntarily take a weapon and went out and shot this man. This is a person who was forced into a situation that put his life at risk, and the life of his friends.

Who knows what happened there. It's easy to assume you "get it" that you understand what combat is, it's easy to hold people guilty until proven innocent, especially when it fuels your opinion.

The fact is we don't know. Or were you at the trial?

As for Rachel Corrie.. Wasn't she the girl who got run over by a bulldozer?

So you're assuming that was somehow on purpose? Do you have any idea how small is the window on those armored bulldozers? Why didn't she move? Why did she stand there in the first place?

But these answer won't satisfy you, right? Why ruin the very thing that fuels your one sided opinions with hard cold logic, and a big of understanding?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad
I don't know what went through the guy's head, what he thought he saw, neither do you.
I don't know the details of the trial, what evidence were presented, what were the two versions (Because there are always two versions).

Of course you don't know what went through his head but here's what he was convicted of: Aggravated Assault; two counts of Obstruction of Justice; Incitement to False Testimony; False Testimony; and Improper Conduct.

Seems to me this person lacks honour as he went on to lie lie and lie.

Of course soldiers make mistakes - those with honour recognize their mistakes and tell the truth.

top topics

join