It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bright star in our night sky..cannot be venus..what is it??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

when that guy you quoted said "how can it be when jupiter is right next to it" he wasn't referring to the moon as you posted *facepalm x a billion* he was referring to the unidentified star which you failed to acknowledge.... honestly man wtf. People starred you too...I guess none of them looked at the photo either... at least look at things properly when you're sh*tting all over them. and you couldn't even do that properly, you're bagging the guy for saying "its not Jupiter", then you're turning around and saying "oh by the way, its not Jupiter"

Maybe Im confussed here or there is some sarcasticness Im not picking up on?

He simply noted that in that particular picture (the happy face) the moon and Venus were both by the moon.

He was sarcastically saying....JUST BECAUSE THE MOON IS BY BOTH OF THOSE SEEMINGLY BRIGHT STARS IN THE PIC does NOT mean the moon will always be by these seemingly bright stars forever.

Just because Venus and Jupiter were by the moon in the pic, does not mean that whatever bright object is not being seen by the moon IS one of those bright objects that was in that picture.

That was his point and it was well made actually.

For the rest of the thread topics.....

All the objects in the OP's happy face pic have been identified, most of the world stepped outside that evening and awaited this rare conjunction of Venus, Jupiter, and the moon. Since then....the planets have moved on and the moon has has passed through many many more phases and cycles since then.

Venus is so low in the western horizon right now it really can only be seen during twilight after the sun sets but before total darkness. But for the last year or so, Venus shined brightly high in the southwest sky for many many nights dazzling many.

Jupiter is what is taking the cake recently (for the past few months) for its in the sky all through the night, rising in the east, setting in southwest. Its just as bright as Venus is right now, something about the opposition of the Sun and being close to Earth more so then normally.

The Moon will not stay by any star or object long, if people are truly observing for YEARS like they said, they would of done more research by now. There is no object that has been in the same place through all the seasons for 5 years without moving. I believe there are exaggerations being made. Either that or they have not been consistently observing every night and now are thinking that when they were seeing Venus in the southwest, and now seeing Jupiter in the southwest, that they are the same object.

Another thing, Stellarium is not linked with NASA. There are many other serious careers that rely and depend on things like astronomy to explain what is what and why it is what it is, like why has it been there for months, why has something gotten brighter, why is something seeming to not move, why suddenly can something no longer be seen. Its math, its not guess work, and it is reliable. If you watch the sky and study the positions and supposed movements over a couple years time, you will see OP. But if you are only watching the sky without learning any astronomy information, Im sure youll come up with many assumptions.

What could it hurt????? To study some astronomy programs and compare your sky to them????

WHAT COULD IT HURT??

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

edit on 5-10-2010 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

iv been observing jupiter with my telescope. but what is this star the op is on about?

i cant see any othe bright star

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by theAymen

Where would it be in the night time sky in Iraq? Ive been lookin at this really bright spot the last couple nights that i thought was Mars at first, then i was like.....totally wrong spot in the sky!!! Cant be Mars, really dont think it Polaris.....Know it aint the moon.....i am seein it about 40* off the horizon looking towards the south

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I have also posted a thread in regard to this and yes had similar responces but i also am not satisfied that it is Venus.

I started seeing it about 3 months ago, it started to appear just after Sunset and would stay in the sky for about 2-3 hours and set below the horizon.

However now it is going the opposite way and rises into the sky?? I live on the East coast of Australia, i can actually see it now, right over the top of me. When i first started seeing it i tried to view it with my telescope but there was detail, just a larger white dot...

So what is it??

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gate13

The OP's erroneous contention (far as I can decipher) is that Jupiter and Venus cannot appear close together in the sky (so one of the 'stars' in the pic near the moon must be something more mysterious) but obviously they can and do so periodically by simple orbital means. Next time it happens will be in March 2012.

Venus currently sets after 2100 and Jupiter rises round 1700 and both being of similar brightness and the brightest things in the sky after the sun and moon leads to some confusion at times.
edit on 5/10/2010 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

I have also posted a thread in regard to this and yes had similar responces but i also am not satisfied that it is Venus.

I started seeing it about 3 months ago, it started to appear just after Sunset and would stay in the sky for about 2-3 hours and set below the horizon.

However now it is going the opposite way and rises into the sky?? I live on the East coast of Australia, i can actually see it now, right over the top of me. When i first started seeing it i tried to view it with my telescope but there was detail, just a larger white dot...

So what is it??

o come on you got to be trolling im gonna lose my rag soon Deny Ignorance? Deny Stupidty YOU JUST SAID IT YOUR SELF

VENUS THE EVENING STAR

RAR what is wrong with people on this site has the IQ gone down like 100 pts ? ive only been gone for a few months

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
We are in a pole shift though. Got a call from my old physics professor. He says it is happening. He claims it has something to do with Jupiter and the solar wind. Every so often Jupiter, Earth and the Sun line up perfectly. Jupiter blocks the solar wind fron striking Earth. As Earth moves from behind Jupiter, a rush of solar wind basically pushes the magnetic field over.

So he claims...

Makes a little sense though
edit on 5-10-2010 by Come Clean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
We are in a pole shift though. Got a call from my old physics professor. He says it is happening. He claims it has something to do with Jupiter and the solar wind. Every so often Jupiter, Earth and the Sun line up perfectly. Jupiter blocks the solar wind fron striking Earth. As Earth moves from behind Jupiter, a rush of solar wind basically pushes the magnetic field over.

So he claims...

Makes a little sense though
edit on 5-10-2010 by Come Clean because: (no reason given)

Jupiter blocks the solar wind from striking earth?

Go sit in the corrner untill you realise what you just said

im sorry im normaly pretty polite in this section of the forum, but thats cause all the crackpots tend to stay in the 2012 section

Please Read this guide...its got pretty icky pictures for you as well! What is Solar Wind

edit on 5-10-2010 by TreX-UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Wow. Chill out!!! Its Venus....if you dont believe it buy a telescope at walmart for 60$ and check it out

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

You really need to just spend some time educating yourself on how the planets, moon and stars appear from earth at different times. Its really simple once you have a mental image of the solar system you can easily identify the objects of the night sky and even predict when and where they will be next. It's not hard or complicated. Right now as many have already said Jupiter is very bright appearing in the east after sunset. Venus will always be in the west as it is closer to the sun than us. You will see Venus in either the morning or evening depending on its location relative to us.

You know if you knew what was going on up there you wouldn't have to make uneducated guesses on what you were seeing. And yes Stellarium is a good way to start. If you don't trust Stellarium, well what can I say? You better check under the bed for the bogeyman.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
Jupiter blocks the solar wind fron striking Earth. As Earth moves from behind Jupiter, a rush of solar wind basically pushes the magnetic field over.

Earth moves from behind Jupiter? Do you mean that Jupiter comes between the Earth and the Sun?

edit on 5-10-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Jupiter will never come inside the Inner Planets or cut accross its path

hes got some 2012 theroy in there with a mix of Jupitar being the closest to earth last month for a long time

Jupiter Close to Earth

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
i wasn't able to read through this whole thread right now but it immediately caught my eye. For the past few months I have been noticing a bright star that seemed different too. I get out of work at 11pm and the whole way home i constantly glance up at it and then when i get home i always get out and look at it. I finally called my Fiance out one night and asked him what star it was, he said the north star at 1st but then used some compass app on his I phone and we knew it wasn't. He thought it was Jupiter.....maybe later on tonight i can get the latitude/longitude and figure it out! all i know is it always catches my eye!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

yeah I think I misunderstood what your point was entirely

-B.M
edit on 5/10/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Hi-

I am in the Southern Hemisphere so I don't know if we are seeing the same thing.
There is a star also the same proximity from the moon as in your pic- although, it's position changes drastically from time to time. Which I suppose could be normal...but it's quite abrupt, and then the following night it's back to normal...?

I noticed it because I feed my dogs at round about the same time every night, and it always comes up from behind the mountain. Over the last year, I have noticed it increasing in size dramatically. Everyone told me it was Mars- but I am not convinced, as Mars has a distinct red shimmer to it.

I always thought that the brightest star in the night sky was Sirius, so- that's what I narrowed it down to, but still I am not sure. It has a distinct unnatural brightness and crispness to it.

So, I can't help you in figuring out what it is- but I do agree with you that most answers we have gotten are unsatisfactory to say the least.

Flag for re- hashing this again.

edit on 5-10-2010 by Tripple_Helix because: typos sorry :p

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Look, a lot of you need to learn some very basic astronomy. Buy a book published before 1957 so you know its not just "NASA lies." You can even buy ephemerids published 50 years ago that predict exactly where all the planets are right now.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by theAymen this picture looks like a polar shift taking place!!

So... When you see the moon and a sliver of the sun reflecting off of it, you think it is a polar shift taking place?

What the hell are they teaching people in science classes these days?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther101
Wow. Chill out!!! Its Venus....if you dont believe it buy a telescope at walmart for 60$ and check it out

Venus is not seen in the sky at the time the OP is speaking of. Venus is only in the sky right now for about a hour right after the Sun sets. Soon, it will disappear from the southwestern sky and will be found as a morning star before the rising sun in the east right before the Sun rises.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It was me. I left the stove on.

Sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join