It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bright star in our night sky..cannot be venus..what is it??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theAymen

Originally posted by woogleuk
Wait a second, you took your last image from national geographic, where it explains exactly what it is!!! Tut Tut, why are you asking on here when it is explained there??

Venus, Jupiter, Moon Smile on Earth
edit on 4/10/10 by woogleuk because: change of words

WOW at the ignorance

THEY SAY ITS VENUS....I DO NOT BUY IT AS VENUS SHOULD ONLY BE SEEN AT SUNRISE/SUNSET.

as for crediting the pictures....the picture of nebula m57...could this really be a picture of that star i was seeing yrs ago.

oh my days i just noticed...m57...m= millenium...5+7 = 12....2012..yep operation bluebeam....lol
edit on 4-10-2010 by theAymen because: (no reason given)

First of all, how am I being ignorant? I simply pointed out where you "aquired" your pic, and asked why you started the thread when the explanation is there on that site. Secondly, how do you know what time the photographer took that pic, and what direction he was facing? When I call you out, no need to get offensive, peace dude.

edit on 4/10/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

Yeah, WOW AT THE IGNORANCE.
Uh, the picture you show? Is it time stamped? Can you say for sure where or when it was taken? NO. You didn't take the picture yourself, and don't have any knowledge about the location or time it was taken. Could have been at sunset, easily. We don't know, because we can't tell where it was taken. Neither can you.
And now into your "knowledge" of the stars you are adding in what.....numerology?
Ding, ding, ding.....my BSometer has been pegged.

haha the numerology comment was funny... i hate that s$%£..i just noticed it...lol
someone called it m57...i thought bluebeam 2012

people are saying its either jupiter or venus....well here is a picture of both of them together..so it cant be jupiter.

time stamped....??
as for the time of the picture..they were visible for most of the night

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by theAymen

I ask about the keeping of a log because you seem pretty interested in whatever it is you are seeing, and since you do not trust simulations or NASA, I figured perhaps your own documented observations would be somewhat scientific. I mean, that's what early "astronemers" did prior to our wealth of knowledge and technology whenever they were observing the unknown.

By the way, I have looked at the night sky. quite often in fact, in Asia and North America, and I've yet to see what you are alluding to.

Guess I'm just not aware enough?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston

I ask about the keeping of a log because you seem pretty interested in whatever it is you are seeing, and since you do not trust simulations or NASA, I figured perhaps your own documented observations would be somewhat scientific. I mean, that's what early "astronemers" did prior to our wealth of knowledge and technology whenever they were observing the unknown.

By the way, I have looked at the night sky. quite often in fact, in Asia and North America, and I've yet to see what you are alluding to.

Guess I'm just not aware enough?

so your saying you never seen a star that used to flash/shimmer red/blue/green...NEVER?

maybe i better get a log book..depending on ppl like you seems like a nono now

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I was looking at Jupiter just last night through my little Tasco x375. There are I guess it's four moons, or three
moons and another planet all perfectly lined up. I will be watching again tonight. So if you are looking at Jupiter tonight around ten ish pac time. Well you can know that I am looking at it too. So we will all be looking at it together. I'll be singing Kumbai yah if anyone is interested.

I don't know. I started this reply in ernest. Damn thing just went So. on me and kept right on go'in. sorry.

Oh by the way through the scope I could see exactly the red blue and green you are speaking of. So OP is very correct in saying what he was looking at was not Venus. It was Jupiter.

At one o'clock in the morning pacific time, Jupiter will be almost directly over head.
edit on 4-10-2010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I have, and I believe it's associated with stellar spectra

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The reasons stars shimmer different colours is they are so far away they are essentially points of light in the sky, and what little light reaches us flickers because of the turbulence in earths atmosphere, because planets are closer and it is more of a solid light, they usually don't flicker........however.......during periods of high turbulence, even the light from planets can flicker.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by theAymen

haha the numerology comment was funny... i hate that s$%£..i just noticed it...lol
someone called it m57...i thought bluebeam 2012

people are saying its either jupiter or venus....well here is a picture of both of them together..so it cant be jupiter.

time stamped....??
as for the time of the picture..they were visible for most of the night

A month ago, the moon was visible during the DAYLIGHT hours. Yep, the sun was in the same sky as the moon. Early evening, it falls below the horizon, a bit behind the sun. And the moon was close to the horizon, not "more of less directly up", and not early in the morning. The newest moon you could have seen would have been on Sept 10. Given the sunlight, you probably wouldn't have been able to even see it.
Had you been able to see it on Sept 11, the planet Venus was incredibly close. Mars was also close.
It doesn't fit the description you have given. Would you like to try again?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It is the first clear night in quite a while here. Hopefully no clouds will be moving in before the planets rise. I've got too many trees and streetlights to see from my yard, so am going to park in an old-folks home. Hope they don't call the cops on a trespasser!

I'm in NE Indiana, a few hours ahead of you. But I've got my scope out and ready. I'll think of you, too.
And this post.
And laughing.
At this post, not you.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston

I have, and I believe it's associated with stellar spectra

yea that old nugget...then explain why its one star that is effected by this stellar spectra...and how come it has completely stopped for about three years??

ALSO I HAVE JUST BEEN OUTSIDE...ITS 10:35 PM LONDON AND THE STAR IS IN THE SOUTH SKY VERY BRIGHT....!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

When you say they were visible for most of the night, do you mean the National Geographic picture with the moon? I tried to look it up in a trusted online ephemeris BUT that will no longer show me 2008. Tried another one which shows that Jupiter, Moon, and Venus were together in the sky in December, however, don't really know who owns that site. Have some written ephemerides but can't find them right now. I'll check though next time I'm at the xxxx IF that's the picture you mean. Otherwise give a date - it's easy enough to verify without using NASA, Stellarium or any suspect site or any internet site for that matter.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

It doesn't fit the description you have given. Would you like to try again?

?? ok...bright star...night sky...used to shimmer yrs back

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Why won't you be laughing at me? Am I not that humorous? Fine be that way. You can't hurt my feeling
from Indy. Put my shades on so no one can tell.
There that's better. Now, Moon rise for us far westerners
came at exactly four o'clock this morning. Just a sliver of it so it should again be visible during the daytime.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No offense, but if you're so interested in the "real answer", how come you've not used Stellarium, the best (free) software around?
If you had used it, then you would know it is Jupiter, like others have said.

That is the "real answer".

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Well, it's 22:43 up here in the North of England, and I can't see a thing, but thats just to torrential rain and high clouds, in fact your in the only part of the UK at the moment that the MET office says could have clear skys tonight, so I'm afraid I can't help tonight.

EDIT: Yes I can help, downloading stellarium now, can you be more specific with you viewing location, you say south, but is that direct south? and height of "object"?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So, your saying your bright object is in the south? Ok, here is a screenshot from stellarium, hopefully this will answer your question and put your mind at ease, this is the current location of the stars and the planets as viewed from my town (which is going to be the same for you)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a8142b3b1ebc.jpg[/atsimg]

oh wait, you don't mean Fomalhaut do you, down there at the bottom?

Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut (α PsA, α Piscis Austrini, Alpha Piscis Austrini) is the brightest star in the constellation Piscis Austrinus and one of the brightest stars in the sky. Fomalhaut can be seen low in the southern sky in the northern hemisphere in fall and early winter evenings. Near latitude 50˚N, it sets around the time Sirius rises, and does not reappear until Antares sets. Its name means "mouth of the whale", from the Arabic فم الحوت fum al-ḥawt. It is a class A star on the main sequence approximately 25 light-years (7.7 pc) from Earth. It is classified as a Vega-like star that emits excess infrared radiation, indicating it is surrounded by a circumstellar disk. Fomalhaut holds a special significance in extrasolar planet research, as it is the center of the first stellar system with an extrasolar planet (Fomalhaut b) imaged at visible wavelengths. The image was published in Science in November 2008.[4]

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Tarifa, thats an awesome video, I've never seen the moons like that. I was checking out the big bright light in the sky last night with google sky on my Droid, thought it was Nibiru, but I guess I was wrong lol it was Jupiter.

But seriously, if any of you have a smart phone that you can put google sky on, its really helpful in determining if a bright light in the sky is a brown dwarf or planet. o.O You just quickly point the screen in the direction of the body you're interested in and boom, untimely extinction averted.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Venus, Jupiter, Moon Smile on Earth

1. December 2008 photographed from Manila, Philippines

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e17b1a3a677.jpg[/atsimg]

Same date and position - screen from Stellarium

Look OP.. sky is laughing at you!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Look OP.. sky is laughing at you!

Aren't we all by now?

He's in the Northern Hemisphere, so it would have been frowning at him, I think.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I resisted this because, although I am chronologically almost 50, I have the silliness of a teenager at time.
Like suggesting he look at Uranus, see it if was shimmering or changing colors, and giggling a bit while doing so.
Sorry, Mods.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join