It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't defend the welfare state any longer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

As for beggars what the heck are lobbyists if not beggars?
Panhandle in the streets of DC - go to jail.
Panhandle in Congressional offices - earn $200,000.

For every person in Congress there are 5 professional lobbyists.
A ration of 1 pickpocket/ 5 beggars.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why should people who are unable to work through illness or disability be forced to live in poverty? surely being ill or disabled is punishment enough, but we want our disabled and ill to live out their lives in poverty. Nice

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Great OP!
Star and Flag!

You echo my thoughts almost exactly. It has been shown in action that the welfare state will not work, even if the government has complete control over the minds and bodies of its citizens.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I can't be a Conservative, ever. But I can be a Classical liberal, like John Locke and Thomas Jefferson. But the Conservative label is more than I could handle. I'm an extreme Civil Libertarian, meaning I oppose anyone telling me what to do, hear or watch. So Conservative wouldn't fit.

- God save the Republic!
edit on 10/4/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

I guess that means you are Libertarian. Welcome aboard!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Why should people who are unable to work through illness or disability be forced to live in poverty? surely being ill or disabled is punishment enough, but we want our disabled and ill to live out their lives in poverty. Nice

I understand your reasoning wood, trust me that was the exact way I thought for a LONG TIME. But it should be up to us as good citizens, people like you and I, to make sure that those who need things get what they need through our actions and our charitable deeds. I doubt any good person wants to see someone work through illness or disability, I know I don't, but we simply can't afford to legislate it. For every good thing that the government does it also does 2 or 3 bad things that outweigh the good.

Donate your time to help people, give over some of your wealth each month to a charitable cause, help the old man/lady down the street by going to the grocery store for them, simple things like that truly help alot and you don't need a bureaucrat to legislate it, you just need a good heart. Which judging by your post, you do have.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Come on! No one is saying that. It is really ludicrous, childish and unfair to attempt to mischaracterize the idea of getting the welfare system under control.

We should help those who can't help themselves. And by we I mean the people, not the government which has been proven to be completely inefficient at that task.

That is my personal opinion. But, there are many others who approve of the government providing aid to those who can't help themselves, while cutting out the ridiculousness of welfare to those who are able bodied and fully capable of providing for themselves and their families.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join